Looking Hard at new Cube Acid.

bilmar

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Have been looking for a shopping bike - rack, panniers etc that I can also use to explore the South Downs ( 3 miles away) so either touring hybrid or MTB hybrid. Knobbly tires will be necessary due to the flint everywhere up there.

This is my first E-Bike and I want to keep it below £2k

Have lower back trouble and shoulder injury so will want to raise bars perhaps 100mm and possibly change them out to get some sweep back (9 deg?)

I have found few bikes in that range in Sussex to try and am reluctant to cross my fingers and order online untried.

So, I have eliminated my way down to the Cube Acid One 500 low step at £1700 + £100 in add-ons ( rack, stand, lights, panniers, mudguards etc) available in Horsham.

The 2019's are almost gone so It looks like I will have to get a 2020 to get the config I want, which changes the motor from Active Plus to the new Performance which according to Bosch will have 20% more power but has 15 miles less hilly eco range.
Not sure if that is a positive or negative since the extra power may come in handy on a steep bridlepaths.

Cube also have an 'AllRoad' version for an extra £100 that has the stand and mudguards I would buy anyway + poorly reviewed lights that I would not, so I think I can do better with the basic version and add the parts I want. But, annoyingly the AllRoad is the only version that has a chainring protector and there does not seem to be any way to add one at present.

Questions:

Have I missed a worthy competitor at this price range that is actually available somewhere to try/see?

Any comments on the motor change in 2020?

Is chain protection needed for normal jeans - will I need to wear a bicycle clip?

If I run out of Hydraulic brake cable raising the bars, is it relatively easy to make new ones?

Any other comments?

Thanks

Bill

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have an acid one and if I lost it for any reason I’d probably buy the same again :p
I have a NCX seatpost for my bad back and XLC trekking bars
If you’re buying local you could buy the bars you like and give them to the shop prior them building the new bike, then you’ll know for sure the cables and hoses will fit.
I also swapped the tyres for Smart Sam Plus’s (faster on the road and better protection.
Get a test ride local if you can, your not obligated to buy so if you can’t do a deal there then shop around, you’ll know what to expect if you have to travel a bit further to get the deal you like.
There’s a few 2918 bike still around and they’ll start to be discounted to shift them before the new models are in the shops.
I’ve seen them for as little as £1200 on line but I’d think £1500 or less would be a good price to pay in store.

Nearly forgot;) I cycle in shorts or leggings in the winter so don’t need protection from the chain, in jeans you’ll need to tuck them into your socks but a clever man (or woman) could fit a chain protector from another bike.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I have the Performance and it is a very strong motor, but I use it for MTB.
The 2020 motor is supposed to be lighter, smaller and more efficient, with much less drag.
As a commuter, I think the Active might be sufficient
As far as the Allroad, it might be worth the extra price just for the lights alone. Not so much for the price of the lights, but install is not so simple and labour could cost you that much alone. (to attach to the main battery)

The brake cable question would be best answered by the vendor

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I've got an Acid allroad and after 900 miles I'm very happy with it. I changed the tyres to marathon plus MTBs which are very free running. My allroad, which is not the step through version, does not have a chain guard but I rarely need to tuck my jeans into my socks - only sometimes - maybe it's due to which way the wind is blowing or variations in the design of the trousers.
The active line plus has all the power I need and I like that it doesn't have any resistance to pedalling and is mostly so quiet it can't be heard. The new performance line sounds great though as it has the good points of the ALP plus a bit more power. The rate you use the battery is obviously down to the level of assistance you use . I find Tour is fine except for big hills.

bilmar

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2019
I bought the 2019 with a stem extension to make the bars higher and rode it hard up down and across the South Downs all weekend. Everything from locking wheels on steep downhills where the hydraulic brakes really shined and steep uphill in 1st gear where the back wheel was spinning on loose gravel but still had enough power. Best part is after all that I still had 40 miles of range left and a huge grin!
20+ mph on rocky chalk is hard on the suspension and my butt and I may just get a suspension post - will start with a softer seat first.
It appears that the cables are longer than they look with the excess pushed into the frame since while fitting the stem extension the shop tech tugged on the cables and pulled an extra 5cm out of the frame.

So, very happy with the 2019 - enough power and much better range than the 2020.
Next step is to figure out security:
serial numbers, registration, tagging, best lock and how to attach etc since battery bump severely limits mounting options of U-locks

Bill

JammyDodger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 25, 2017
Coventry
I have an acid one and if I lost it for any reason I’d probably buy the same again :p
I have a NCX seatpost for my bad back and XLC trekking bars
If you’re buying local you could buy the bars you like and give them to the shop prior them building the new bike, then you’ll know for sure the cables and hoses will fit.
I also swapped the tyres for Smart Sam Plus’s (faster on the road and better protection.
Get a test ride local if you can, your not obligated to buy so if you can’t do a deal there then shop around, you’ll know what to expect if you have to travel a bit further to get the deal you like.
There’s a few 2918 bike still around and they’ll start to be discounted to shift them before the new models are in the shops.
I’ve seen them for as little as £1200 on line but I’d think £1500 or less would be a good price to pay in store.

Nearly forgot;) I cycle in shorts or leggings in the winter so don’t need protection from the chain, in jeans you’ll need to tuck them into your socks but a clever man (or woman) could fit a chain protector from another bike.
Hi Gringo
I too have a Cube Acid One and would like to purchase a NCX seat post but struggling with sizing. The link you posted is that the size I'd need for my bike. Absolutely love my Cube could not recommend enough.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have a 27.2 post with a sleeve too bring it up to 30.9mm
The link was just as an example ;) but shop around and you may find one for under £50.
Just to confirm the seatpost diameter