Looking to convert to electric but need some help please

ldc

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2020
Hi, for

I am looking to convert to an electric bike and have a few questions. I have a Carrera centos. I am looking for a dual power 250w/1000w or a 250/1500w kit

• I am looking at a rear wheel hub 26" convert kit, what are some known kits that would fit my bike.
  • my bike has an integrated brake and gearshift system, will I be able to use conversion kits ebrake system
  • has anybody successfully converted a Carrera Centos
  • Am I better off getting an ebike from new, if so please recommend dual power ebikes that are 250w/1000w or 250w/1500w
Thank you in advance

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You'll probably be better off with a pure 250w system. The dual systems are illegal on the road and in public places like bridleways even if on a 250w setting. Most of the dual systems are direct drive and very inefficient at everything except going fast on the flat; and also very heavy. They are very cheap, but because of their inefficiency need a very powerful and expensive battery to take advantage of their high power. If you don't have a battery suitable for the high power you are losing out both ways.

Most legal nominal 250w motors can output much more (700w or more on many) for short times, so the power difference is not nearly as much as it sounds.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

ldc

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2020
You'll probably be better off with a pure 250w system. The dual systems are illegal on the road and in public places like bridleways even if on a 250w setting. Most of the dual systems are direct drive and very inefficient at everything except going fast on the flat; and also very heavy. They are very cheap, but because of their inefficiency need a very powerful and expensive battery to take advantage of their high power. If you don't have a battery suitable for the high power you are losing out both ways.

Most legal nominal 250w motors can output much more (700w or more on many) for short times, so the power difference is not nearly as much as it sounds.
thank you

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want a high power motor at least get one that looks like it will easily pass as a 250w model.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aikema 128 500w cst or 800w freewheel both 48v and come in HT versions at 201rpm.
Both 2.8kg.

Orrbrian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2020
I don't know if this is right - but I see some experts here who might help solve my problem. One of my Kuo+ has developed a fault in the wiring to the display on the handlebar (its a KD-BI06E-787-12) - but I can't find a replacement (with A2B out-of-business)!
My lateral thinking says if I can't change the display - can I just change the 'control box', which will have a new display! The $64m question is - will I find the wiring compatible? I changed controller boxes on the Kuo+ and the Jetson and it looks to me that the colours and plug fittings look consistent? I don't see why I should go further as I have a good motor and battery + the ancillaries will work (?), if I map the wires exactly?
Is that feasible?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Might not be so easy as that, it depends if CANbus is used which also includes the battery BMS, all components need to hand shake with each other. Or at least the battery, display and controller.

Orrbrian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2020
Might not be so easy as that, it depends if CANbus is used which also includes the battery BMS, all components need to hand shake with each other. Or at least the battery, display and controller.
How far must I go to get a result? Do I need to replace the battery and motor - as well?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brian tbh it is unfair to hijack a thread and take it off course and I should have mentioned it yesterday, so as not to confuse the two different replies to the thread it is best to start a new thread regarding your bike.

ldc

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2020
So I've got my eye on the cyclotricity kit is there anyway I can use an inline brake sensor like what woosh sells, as my brakes and gears are integrated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So I've got my eye on the cyclotricity kit is there anyway I can use an inline brake sensor like what woosh sells, as my brakes and gears are integrated.
With integrated combo brake/gear selector with wire control you can use HWBS if the controller has a three wire connector for it.

Reactions: ldc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
where can i get these kits?
The hub motor can be bought from BMSBattery.com or Topbikekit.com you then add a controller and peripherals to customise the build to make up a kit.
If unsure of components show us what you have selected before buying.

Reactions: ldc

ldc

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2020
The hub motor can be bought from BMSBattery.com or Topbikekit.com you then add a controller and peripherals to customise the build to make up a kit.
If unsure of components show us what you have selected before buying.
really appreciate your feedback, before I had seen your reply I started looking at yose power which it seems you use or have used from your signature, I had my eye on the 48v 350w, what I like about that particular kit is the warranty it comes with, it seems at first I seen big huge 1500w and 1000w and thought yes that's what I want but now reading a bit more into it it seems those high watt systems are hugely inefficient unless going at high speed, I am currently looking on the bmsbattery site can you shed any more light on bmsbattery and yose power please