looking to convert...

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Yo!

having retired hurt from the cycling scene,( a careless driver), i am wondering about converting my recumbent trike to a pedelec,it is a 'tadpole',single rear drive(700c)two steering front with hub brakes.(650c)

Currently considering the Alien ocean kit, that would be ,as they quote, non compliant to current UK pedelec regs,which I am not overly worried about, I hardly think the 'Law'will be too concerned that it would be non EU spec!

Has any one have advice on converting my Trike to an e-trike, my aim will be to add a simple fairing to make my commute to work ( about 2 miles) more bearable this winter.

many thanx

Gerakd

D

Deleted member 4366

Fairly straight-forward with that kit. Whatever kit you use has the same obstacles to overcome:
1. You have to change the rear gearset to a free-wheel type (about £25), which go up to 8 speed.
2.The brake switches only work for cable brakes, so best for a rear cable disc brake. The kit provides the levers with switches in, so a bit more DIY if you have integrated levers or want to keep your original ones.
3. Depending on your handlebar layout, it can be difficult finding room for the throttle. Thumb throttles can often be squeezed in somewhere, but other types don't fit if you have quick-shifters with twp triggers.
4 The pedal sensors are designed to fit bottom brackets with square taper spindles, so a lot more DIY if you have an Octalink or Hollowtech crank.

This might all sound a lot, but there's ways round all the problems. The main reason I mention is because buying a ready-made kit sounds like plug-and play. It's rarely as simple as that, although the closer your bike is to a "standard" bike, the easier it can be. You know that everything in the kit goes together nicely, but not necessarily on your bike. If you'd have to substitute the kit's brake levers, throttle, pedal sensors for different ones, it might be easier to get your own motor, controller and battery and start from scratch.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Thanks for that d8veh, the machine in question is around 15 yrs old ,so the basic mechanickng will not provide any compat problems,other than the brake lever is a dual action one ,operates both front brakes the rear is a park brake which operates a cantilever brake,that won't work on a 26" rim,so either have to build motor into a 7ooc rim or diispence with it.( shame ,its handy for parallel parking but hell on the tyres,if you know what I mean!)

Fairly straight-forward with that kit. Whatever kit you use has the same obstacles to overcome:
1. You have to change the rear gearset to a free-wheel type (about £25), which go up to 8 speed.
2.The brake switches only work for cable brakes, so best for a rear cable disc brake. The kit provides the levers with switches in, so a bit more DIY if you have integrated levers or want to keep your original ones.
3. Depending on your handlebar layout, it can be difficult finding room for the throttle. Thumb throttles can often be squeezed in somewhere, but other types don't fit if you have quick-shifters with twp triggers.
4 The pedal sensors are designed to fit bottom brackets with square taper spindles, so a lot more DIY if you have an Octalink or Hollowtech crank.

This might all sound a lot, but there's ways round all the problems. The main reason I mention is because buying a ready-made kit sounds like plug-and play. It's rarely as simple as that, although the closer your bike is to a "standard" bike, the easier it can be. You know that everything in the kit goes together nicely, but not necessarily on your bike. If you'd have to substitute the kit's brake levers, throttle, pedal sensors for different ones, it might be easier to get your own motor, controller and battery and start from scratch.

D

Deleted member 4366

As long as you have cable brakes, you don't have to change anything, but you may have to do some very simple additional DIY to install the switches.