Looking to make my daily commute as easy as possible

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
So due to the fact I am soon to be losing my licence and don't live near a bus route I am looking at getting an electric bike for my daily commute.

This consists of a distance of 25 miles there and 25 mile back, including a few long hills. (Devon - Exeter area) I used to cycle a lot when I was younger but since getting a motorbike and car I have become rather lazy. I'm 6" and around 100kg.

I Would like to make the commute as quick and easy as possible, as will have to be doing this on top of 16 hour shifts and in all weathers. I also like the stealthy look, rather than it being an obvious e-bike. Not too keen on the Cytronex bikes due to the small battery. I want to use the bike on full assist for my entire journey, as the whole reason for getting one is to make the journey as easy as possible.

A few of the bikes I have been looking at are:

Haibike Xduro Trekking - Xduro rather than the Sduro due to the larger battery. I have a shop local to me which can supply them, and would be able to save money on list price due to cycle scheme. Even so is probably my last choice

Giant Road E - http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/electric-bikes-c283/giant-road-e-1-electric-bike-2016-p14893/s43381?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=giant-road-e-1-electric-bike-2016-size-medium-size-medium-72470515&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CMTQ7YGN-8kCFUZAGwodbK4I7Q
Like the fact its a road bike, and imagine it should make the route a little quicker due to how much I preferred my last road bike. Although have no idea on the weight, torque, realistic mileage or how good it is as it isn't out yet.

Kalkhoff Integrale LTD 11G - http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/sports-e-bikes/integrale_10_xt.html
Seem to have read good things about Kalkhoff, and this seems to be the most premium version of this style I can find (excluding the s-class of course) cant really tell much difference between the models though.

Any other bikes I've missed or any comments, reviews or ideas which may help?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think you would need to a dedicated cyclist or just mad to do a 50 mile round trip daily each week, that's 250 miles a week or circa 12k per annum. And on top of that a 16hr shift, during the cold, wet bleak days it will loose its appeal also think about charging at work to get the max out of the battery. your journey by bike is more then likely going to be 1.5 - 2 hrs each way.
My brother cycles 2 or 3 times a week to work it takes him a good hour to do a 20 mile one way journey on a S- pedelec. Michael aka mfj197 does a daily 20mile each way commute on a home build and is about the only person who has uploaded his experiences link below or the use the search facility ' for bike commute ' ;
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/members/nealh.12170/

Last edited:
Reactions: dazza22345

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
As Nealth says, it's a big ask. I suspect you don't have much choice, and only have to do it for a year?

If I were in your position, I'd be looking at charging at work.

I'd also be thinking about a little more power and speed (dongle or self build) but you need to be aware that's it's not legal. Your chances of getting caught are minimal though, I've ridden mine past Heavytree cop shop many times an never been stopped.

Are you handy with the spanners?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
25 miles is quite a long commute so you will want to get something as fast as possible.

If you do go for a Kalkhkoff make sure you email some bike shops in Germany for their best price. Once you have that go back to 50 cycles and they'll probably match the price you have provided you can forward them a link or email with proof. You will save hundreds over the advertised price.

Some of the U.K. Prices are nearly 1k more expensive!

I'm in a similar position to you and have been doing exactly this, 50 cycles have some mixed reviews here but they've been very competitive on pricing so definitely worth a try as it will be infinitely easier should you ever have any problems.

I assume it will be the same with the Giant.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The Haibike URBAN would be a good choice because of the stealth look and performance but charging after one way would be the way to go,the urban is light for a e-bike and with a dongle fitted will top out at 50km/h,the sport setting on the power modes is plenty for high speed and the higher turbo one is always available if needed,other than that the INTEGRALE is also a good choice but is heavier because of the suspension forks and integrated battery,i know because i have ridden both bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your original choices of e-bike are legal and has been said, it means a 1.5 to 2 hrs each way journey. Using an fast S pedelec or a dongle on a standard bike to make it faster and slightly shorten the journey time is very unlikely to result in being caught as has been said.

However, in their faster state they are classified as unregistered motor vehicles, meaning you would be in breach of your driving ban. Your ban of a year or so could jump to 2 or 3 years as well as the other penalties involved.

So although the risk of being caught is extremely small, the consequences if it happened could be especially serious for you.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
meaning you would be in breach of your driving ban. Your ban of a year or so could jump to 2 or 3 years as well as the other penalties involved.

So although the risk of being caught is extremely small, the consequences if it happened could be especially serious for you.
Flecc makes a good point that I had not considered. I'm no longer sure what I'd do in your position.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
If you are determined to go ahead then a legal bike like the urban i talked about earlier with the bosch performance 250w motor will become a 350w S pedelec with a badass dongle that clips on in seconds over the speedo pickup,it can be removed just as easily and if anything happens you are on a legal bike on paper but make sure you don`t leave the dongle on,i use this setup and it works well.
This could be the best option rather than riding an e-bike that was built as an S class bike from the off.

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Thanks for all of the advice guys, as you may have guessed I don't really have much choice on if I'll have to cycle, so am just looking to make it as easy as possible, as I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

I have considered the s class bikes and dongles, but the idea of getting caught and getting my ban extended is a bit of a worry. Is gonna be 17-24 months as it is :/ Although tbh I had planned to use a dongle on the ones above anyways.
Is there any s-class road bikes which don't look like obvious ebikes? As I figure it looks less suspicious with a road bike bombing it along than a mountain bike. Or any high powered ones which will last the mileage and not look obvious? Seems most of the large powered ones are Chinese. I'm also guessing all these will state on them that they're overpowered?
Have also been tempted by the 1000w ones which have a 250w mode for the road, although there doesn't seem to be any of decent quality.

I have looked at the urban but the shop up my road just stocks the trekking, is there much advantage to the urban? And what kind of mileage can I realistically expect on full power with a dongle?

Once again thanks for the help guys, have only just came across ebikes but have spent many hours trying to find my perfect bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have also been tempted by the 1000w ones which have a 250w mode for the road, although there doesn't seem to be any of decent quality.
If the changeover is under the rider's control, these are also illegal. The DfT call this an "off-road" control and have said they are definitely banned. That advice was contained in a guidance they issued to police forces in April 2013.

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Ah ok then, I hadn't realised that. Most of the sites seem to claim how they are "road legal". Out if of interest how would the police generally check if your bike is legal, apart from the markings?

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
One thing that put me off the badass dongle though is that after removing it doesn't the magnet then need moving too? So it wouldn't be a case of just quickly pulling it off?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the dongle comes with a spade screw so can take it of and move the magnet in about 10 seconds so no tools required..

or just get 2 wheel magnets ;)

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Also also with regards to doing a self build, all my money is tied up at the moment so I was looking to get finance on a bike rather than Needing to save up for the bits. And my current road bike barely stops as it is, so wouldn't want to adapt my current one

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The haibike urban 2015 model has a 400w battery and the 2016 has a 500w longer range battery by 25%,the two bikes are otherwise almost identical,i have the 400w battery and 25 miles one way on high power is possible but e-bike range and battery capacity is dependant on quite a few variables so it is hard to give an accurate answer,if you go on the the bosch website there is a site on there where you can input all your details and it will give you the mileage dependant on speed,weight,wind,surface conditions,hills,ambient temperature and so on.

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Ok cheers will speak to my local shop about the urban, yeah I'd planned on getting the 2016 Bosch one for that very reason. Had just been tempted by the battery size of the kalkoff or the fact the giant is a real road bike. It's so hard to choose!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah ok then, I hadn't realised that. Most of the sites seem to claim how they are "road legal". Out if of interest how would the police generally check if your bike is legal, apart from the markings?
Sites claiming all manner of illegal things are legal on the road are commonplace unfortunately.

Any police check would probably be initially by trying it themselves. Many of our police forces have trialled e-bikes and a few forces routinely use them, so they are familiar with what is legal. Since the law on pedelecs was changed on 6th April 2015 and forces received notifications of that, all their traffic departments will be quite up to date on the requirements.

However, the risk of detection is very small and only likely if you are involved in an accident at any time. It's then that investigation might expose a dongle or S bike, and those would also affect insurance company decisions.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will also void the warranty of the hole bike if they can find out 1 has been used on the bike..

or get 1 from here https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/

Last edited:

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
I do like the look at that urban, hadn't noticed it was a full road bike. Although any idea why it only has 60nm of torques and 280% assist compared to the 80nm and 300% of the trekking? Surely it's the same motor? Also is it possible to fit mudguards? As I don't want to be turning up to work drenched