Looking to sell my ebike on ebay

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Any advice please ?
I'm gonna start low but looking for at least £600...It cost me £1795.
I still have the original box, should I offer postage ?
Do I still have to pay if it sells and buyer renages ?
I've bought plenty but never sold anything so appreciate any advice.
.....many thanks.....Mike

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
My advice to you is only sell on eBay if you are prepared to lose the bike. Chances are that everything will be okay with the sale, but since eBay policy sides so heavily with the buyer, in certain scenarios it is easy for a scammer to end up with both your bike and a refund.

EDIT: I speak from experience as a retailer who relies heavily on ebay for a large proportion of my income

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Ebay is a great way to get rid of it. If you offer cash on collection only, it's difficult to get scammed, though be wary of letting people have test rides before paying.

As long as you describe the bike accurately, you're unlikely to have problems with sending the item. The only risk would be if it stops working in the first week. You'll get a much higher price if you offer to send it.

Ebay isn't the snakepit that many people would have you believe provided that you're sensible. I buy and sell many expensive items using it. Last month, I bough my £1500 road bike. It was like new and saved me £700 on buying it new from a shop.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
thanks d8....I was worried about test rides, which obviously a potential buyer is gonna want.
I cannot send it and get cash...can I ?
There is still 5 months on the warranty,but whether 50C would honour it,
I don't know.
....gotta be cash on collection I suppose so no mail no paypal.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
The other site to try is Gumtree.... now part of eBay but not an auction site and no fees to pay. It might be worth a try?

Reactions: Mike63

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
...thanks...not looking good then :))
If offering delivery the item isn't forwarded until payment is made, though their will be some dishonest folks on there.
Never release an item without cleared payments.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have sold several of my bikes on eBay without issue and in all cases it went the same way!
I offered them as collection only and will not post under any circumstances and started them at a low price, sometimes only 99p with no reserve.
The listing title is important so research what others are selling that have plenty of bids, find one and click sell one like this changing the title and description to suit. In my case I started to receive offers to take it off sale within 2 days and negotiated a good price before cancelling the listing. During these negotiations and meeting he buyer you can decide for yourself. If you are asked for a buy it now price ask them to make an offer ... My last one was a Boardman and a young lad bought it for cash, came with his dad and all was fine. I am always honest and point out any faults I know of without hiding anything, but point out that I am not an expert.
If you are worried about it going for 99p just end the sale at some point..

D

Deleted member 4366

Tests rides are down to your own judgment. Obviously, if he comes on his own in a car he can't ride away on the bike and take his car. I'd normally trust them. Like above, a teenager with his dad is unlikely to be a problem; however, nothing is certain. I think as long as you're suspicious and skeptical, erring on the side of caution, you'll be OK. As I said, most people are genuine normal people, but look at Cwah: He got conned out of his Brompton and battery by someone who befriended him first. maybe you're more likely to get problems from people you know and trust than from strangers.