Lost Vistas

Chrisg149

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2020
(Originally posted on General Discussion forum before realising this "Leisure" forum more appropriate). One beneficial outcome of coronavirus restriction has been the growth in cycling. It’s so nice to see families out enjoying this healthy pursuit.

So, armed with a scenic bike route leaflet I went to explore rural Norfolk (on my old resurrected electric bike thanks to Pedelecs technical forum advice). However, many of the picturesque vistas had been encroached on by fresh roadside hedgerows. I’m all for these rich wildlife habitats, but can new hedgerows be limited to between fields rather than roadside? Doing so would protect hedge wildlife exposure to fatal traffic and also restrict dangerous blind corners for vulnerable cyclists.

There’s nothing like cycling down country lanes with open views of English countryside. So please can these fast disappearing vistas not be lost. Chris

Chrisg149

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2020
You'd be better of posting in the farmers forum.
My closing sentence "So please can these fast disappearing vistas not be lost." Does rather foolishly sound like I'm asking Pedelecs to act! I meant my anxieties aimed at environmental bodies and hoping forum members might share my concerns. Chris

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I’m all for these rich wildlife habitats, but can new hedgerows be limited to between fields rather than roadside?
I'm sure there are (or at least were pre-Brexit) subsidies from the EU for farmers to plant hedgerows and leave wide boarders around fields to encourage wildlife and indigenous plants. But my discussions with several Norfolk farmers in the local pub - after many pints of local brew - suggest that the soil in much of Norfolk is light and sandy. The hedgerows are planted as A) wind-beaks to prevent valuable rich topsoil being blown off the land when planted as arable crop (wheat and barley) and B) to keep livestock (mostly pigs) confined to the land to meet the demands of Tesco et al. Farmers certainly don't spend £1000's planting miles of hedgerows just to foil your scenic enjoyment on your occasional cycle around the backroads of East Anglia!
There’s nothing like cycling down country lanes with open views of English countryside.
You don't need an e-bike for that... you need a 4x4 to see over the top of the hedges!

Chrisg149

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2020
just to foil your scenic enjoyment on your occasional cycle around the backroads of East Anglia!
Multiply my “occasional cycle around the backroads…” by many thousands, or millions nationwide to get a true perspective of cyclists’ scenic enjoyment.
to keep livestock (mostly pigs) confined
Electric fences are commonly used to keep livestock confined
wind-beaks to prevent valuable rich topsoil being blown off
If hedgerows haven’t existed besides stretches of roadside for ages, why only now the concern of topsoil blowing away.

I’m pro hedgerows that cover much of our countryside; just leave a few open vistas for us humans.

Chrisg149

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2020
You'd be better of posting in the farmers forum.
Just realised vfr400 it's you! Thanks again for your good technical guidance last year that resurrected my old ebike for the scrapheap. It's still going strong and enabling me to enjoy great countryside. Chris

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Electric fences are commonly used to keep livestock confined
No, they're only used as a temporary measure to confine livestock to part of a field.

If hedgerows haven’t existed besides stretches of roadside for ages, why only now the concern of topsoil blowing away.
Tis true that I only worked on a farm for 6 years back in the 1970's, but talking to farmers now in local Breckland pubs, wind-breaks to prevent erosion is what they say. Go ask them yourself.

Chrisg149

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2020
..but talking to farmers now in local Breckland pubs, wind-breaks to prevent erosion is what they say. Go ask them yourself.
[/QUOTE]
True, we are all aware that Breckland soil is sandy and loose; but that is only a small proportion of the county/country.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
True, we are all aware that Breckland soil is sandy and loose; but that is only a small proportion of the county/country.
Mmm. In fact, large tracts of both Norfolk and Suffolk are particularly light and sandy, but notwithstanding, hedges form effective windbreaks and that's still the (main) answer wherever you are in the Country (the farm I worked was in Hertfordshire). Hedges are by far the most expensive and effective form of 'fencing' to limit soil erosion and shelter livestock/crops, and they take 5-10 years to establish, so it's not undertaken lightly. Maybe EU subsidies have played a part, and yes, some environmental/wildlife/insect/plant protection concern, and there are other benefits like moisture retention. But predominantly hedges are planted as an effective windbreak.

Why you say that's a "fresh" addition though, I have no idea... I haven't noticed a sudden increase in hedgerows on my cycling tours around Norfolk, Suffolk, or Britain in general. Maybe go ask a farmer (the ones I know are friendly, chatty folk) or ask on one of the farmers forums as vfr suggested.

Advertisers