low sun

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
out on a cycle today, and on previous days where the sun has been low and in my eyes, pretty dangerous, i have got a pair of cheap sunglasses which are pretty useless, should have known better, so was wondering if anybody knows a pair that are effective and at reasonable cost, looked at sinner glasses on go outdoors seem not bad , but dont know until i go out on that low sun

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
have a look on ebay for some Oakley sunglasses with polarized or prizm lenses and will last forever but not cheap.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
out on a cycle today, and on previous days where the sun has been low and in my eyes, pretty dangerous, i have got a pair of cheap sunglasses which are pretty useless, should have known better, so was wondering if anybody knows a pair that are effective and at reasonable cost, looked at sinner glasses on go outdoors seem not bad , but dont know until i go out on that low sun
I have found that a cap with a peak or visor works really well. As it provides shade to your eyes & normal sunglasses are then sufficient to remove glare from wet roads.

Reactions: artspeck

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I have found that a cap with a peak or visor works really well. As it provides shade to your eyes & normal sunglasses are then sufficient to remove glare from wet roads.
My helmet has a visor, I agree that helps, a bigger peak would probably be worth it.

I wear cheap but polarised sunglasses. Mostly overglasses even though I don't wear them a such; they tend to have larger lenses and better protection from side light. My last pair (Duco, discontinued) was about £15, there as several similar on Amazon around £10-£20.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I use a a helmet with a decent sized visor augmented by some duct tape stuck to the peak of it to extend the amount of coverage. Duct tape is firm enough to stay in place and easy enough to flick up out of the way when not required.

It looks a bit daft, but I'd rather look a bit silly but still be able to see where I'm going.

The alternative to a stick on visor is wearing a very lightweight baseball cap under your helmet.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
out on a cycle today, and on previous days where the sun has been low and in my eyes, pretty dangerous, i have got a pair of cheap sunglasses which are pretty useless, should have known better, so was wondering if anybody knows a pair that are effective and at reasonable cost..
The problem with a low sun is the dynamic range of the lighting scene!
If you have sunglasses that somehow reduce the intensity of the sun enough to allow you to look at it, then you'll see bugger all of anything else. There are no 'magic sunglasses' no matter how expensive, that will solve the fundamental problem.
That said, cheap sunglasses will give more problems with side glare etc. But fundamentally, the advice given by others here, in using a peaked cap or helmet and trying to block the direct sun is the only real solution.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Polaroid (i.e. polarised) sunglasses will greatly decrease the intensity of reflected light, so that will help a lot on the current wet shiny salty roads.

> Ride out west in the morning, ride back east in the afternoon.
:D Like it.

However, it's others not seeing you that is the greatest danger. Personally I'd ride into the sun...

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The problem with a low sun is the dynamic range of the lighting scene!
If you have sunglasses that somehow reduce the intensity of the sun enough to allow you to look at it, then you'll see bugger all of anything else. There are no 'magic sunglasses' no matter how expensive, that will solve the fundamental problem.
That said, cheap sunglasses will give more problems with side glare etc. But fundamentally, the advice given by others here, in using a peaked cap or helmet and trying to block the direct sun is the only real solution.
Sunglasses do work,polarized work extremely well or everyone would be crashing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Sunglasses do work,polarized work extremely well or everyone would be crashing.
with my polarized lenses they are real good in direct sunlight but when you go off road and under the trees you cant see how deep the ruts are so loose depth perception, well i do lol.

now with the prizm mtb lens it is like putting on a hd filter tho not as good in direct sun light but way better for off road stuff tho you can get the road lens which is more red and for the road.

DSC_0150_03.JPG
left racing jacket right jawbreaker :cool:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
From them two things theyre sitting on I now get the 'Soundwave' username.

I thought it was you rode super fast.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0120_02.JPG

fast n loud :p

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very nice! I've just tuned my new electric... my neighbours will very soon hate me far more than they do now lol. Usually I'm a quiet acoustic guitar, MIDI keyboards, and computer music Sennheiser HD600 headphone wearing guy. (When I have time).

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Thats cool :D
I've an old friend who is also in this game. Not seen him for years though. Him to busy, me too flaky lol. But as far as I know the company is doing well. I will admit it is pretty damned amazing listening to music in one of these studios. As good as music can sound.
I did an audio letter to a mate who'd been living in New Zealand and he allowed me to use the studio to record it. Plus Giles started putting his own Jazz piano over the top of it as way of a background, as i regaled everything to the mate that had happened in Scotland and amongst our shared friends. I thought it better than sending a paper letter, and we even included the sounds of me building a joint in celebration of his engagement. A real laff.

What is it you do in yours ? music or post production video/audio type of thing ?.
This is one of his studios. Place is like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise :oops: And only one of a number in the business.
theatre2-control-room_926e7bb867407da9b6a083de73d1d14a.jpg

He's also a cyclist and we went on a jaunt together many moons ago. I thought i would utterly tank him having been a rider for a fair bit of time at that point but I got hammered. During it he spoke about a time he competed partly in the Race across America.
That certainly put me in my place. And me thinking i was the fit one lol

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0087_03.JPG

:pBOOM!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats cool :D
I've an old friend who is also in this game. Not seen him for years though. Him to busy, me too flaky lol. But as far as I know the company is doing well. I will admit it is pretty damned amazing listening to music in one of these studios. As good as music can sound.
I did an audio letter to a mate who'd been living in New Zealand and he allowed me to use the studio to record it. Plus Giles started putting his own Jazz piano over the top of it as way of a background, as i regaled everything to the mate that had happened in Scotland and amongst our shared friends. I thought it better than sending a paper letter, and we even included the sounds of me building a joint in celebration of his engagement. A real laff.

Waht is it you do in yours ? music or post production video/audio type of thing ?.
This is one of his studios. Place is like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise :oops: And only one of a number in the business.
View attachment 45398
Very nice! Are you asking me or SW? These days, I'm an IT geek who winds down after a long day geeking by attempting to make music, or noises. Usually I only have time to make short melodies or riffs, but I've stopped putting them on Youtube because they get keep ripped off and used without my permission, and it costs far too much to take anyone to court (£50k+) especially if they're successful (angry!!!! :mad:). Occasionally I have to do post-production work for video, audio and 3D animation, but much more so in the past. You really have to know your stuff for jazz improv, wish I did. Has your mate got Logic on his screens? What's that desk? SSL? I have many friends who gig as bands or DJ/Producers, and they all are far more into all the latest and best music tech and scene than I allow enough time or money for (lol, I can't stop buying gear!). Seems the only way for most musicians to make a living these days, is by gigging... Lord knows streaming revenue is pitifully low and and an actual crime IMHO, which is snuffing musicians out everywhere. Hope your mate is making money - it's a very tough market; production. Hardly any studios ever recoup their initial inverstment in equipment and other costs, and they eventually go bust. It's a lot cheaper these days than it used to be of course, with increasing computer based emulation and production, and good quality mics etc. being so much cheaper. There is more and more self-produced-in-a-bedroom music selling well. Are those Auratones? Smart move...

If I could afford it, I would be sueing the musicians who were supposed to compose original music for Ridley Scott's "Raised by Wolves". Long horrible story... :mad: That's the last time I ever put an original melody on Youtube. :( Episode 5, between 9m 53s and 10.25s is mine and I can prove it. The longer I leave it, the greater the damages will be. ;)

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
It was at SW, but all stories of creative talent in music and sound design is a cool subject. I'd another mate used to make techno(Early 90's) and we'd get wasted and do stuff on fruity loops and rebirth. Good days/Good memories.

You should post up some of your sounds. Be a blast for the forum to hear.

Are those Auratones?
TBH I couldn't tell you. Too technical for me. Folk would let me fiddle with stuff but they had to set it up for me.
I've no musical talent, though can strum a bit on the old guitar, but in truth that im probably just tormenting anyone within earshot.
If I could afford it, I would be sueing the musicians who were supposed to compose original music for Ridley Scott's "Raised by Wolves". Long horrible story... :mad: That's the last time I ever put an original melody on Youtube. :( Episode 5, between 9m 53s and 10.25s is mine and I can prove it. The longer I leave it, the greater the damages will be.
Thats pretty poo. I hope you do sue the fookers.
OK i understand most music is a copy of something, but its how its combined and thats where the talent lies. Is there no way you could complain, maybe to the musicians union or even to Mr Scott himself.
Over the years and from the crowd I hung with at that time all were talented players,writers and singers and it was pretty hard to see some not make it when other talenless 'individuals' in managed bands were in the charts. Christ knows how that people made it when most of them cant play and can only sing in a studio.
The chap who's studio in the above pic did work extremely hard to make it, and tbh i know that in that game its also about who you know, so its a mix, luck, hard work and perseverance and knowing the right people.
This is the company he and some friends formed. I keep tabs on how theyre going but a couple of years ago popped in to see the man but we're too far apart and you know that never works really.
They do sound design and post production too.

Thanks to you and SW, you've brought back some very fond memories. :cool: A lifetime ago, but probably some of the best times i've had in my life.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It was at SW, but all stories of creative talent in music and sound design is a cool subject. I'd another mate used to make techno(Early 90's) and we'd get wasted and do stuff on fruity loops and rebirth. Good days/Good memories.

You should post up some of your sounds. Be a blast for the forum to hear.

TBH I couldn't tell you. Too technical for me. Folk would let me fiddle with stuff but they had to set it up for me.
I've no musical talent, though can strum a bit on the old guitar, but in truth that im probably just tormenting anyone within earshot.

Thats pretty poo. I hope you do sue the fookers.
OK i understand most music is a copy of something, but its how its combined and thats where the talent lies. Is there no way you could complain, maybe to the musicians union or even to Mr Scott himself.
Over the years and from the crowd I hung with at that time all were talented players,writers and singers and it was pretty hard to see some not make it when other talenless 'individuals' in managed bands were in the charts. Christ knows how that people made it when most of them cant play and can only sing in a studio.
The chap who's studio in the above pic did work extremely hard to make it, and tbh i know that in that game its also about who you know, so its a mix, luck, hard work and perseverance and knowing the right people.
This is the company he and some friends formed. I keep tabs on how theyre going but a couple of years ago popped in to see the man but we're too far apart and you know that never works really.
They do sound design and post production too.

Thanks to you and SW, you've brought back some very fond memories. :cool: A lifetime ago, but probably some of the best times i've had in my life.

I was watching the show, and the notes started playing ... and my notes kept playing out at me from a TV show... all 12 notes... I couldn't believe it and certainly wouldn't blame anyone else for not believing it either. I contacted Scott Free productions, which is a much longer typing stint. I've removed all of my own music from free online platforms. I've also stopped sending tracks to people I know in the business, who compose soundtracks. If anything good charts, I'll post a link. I remember Fruity Loops! It was a lot of fun to use, so easy and fun that Sony bought it from Sonic Foundry, did virtually nothing with it for years, then sold it to a German company, and it's now Magix Music Studio. Rebirth was and still is awesome, alive and well running on an old XP machine; hard to control without two independent mice, I use other such acid type synths now but that Rebirth noise is hard to beat. You don't need to be able to sing if you have Autotune. Is it named after "Telly Savalas"? Auratones are great for checking the mix with something slightly better than, but similar to average stereo equipment which most people will own. A hit is about as likely as a lightnning strike, but not always:

A good melody or jingle is worth a lot sometimes, you only have to look at adverts... a nice sounding series of unique notes pulled out of a track can ruin the experience of listening to that track, which gets forever associated with that product and advert. I'm p*ssed off, there will someday be a reckoning. I've consulted lawyers, it's ongoing. I made the mistake of approaching Scott Free too early - if I hadn't, it would have featured on the official soundtrack too (they mysteriously left it out, weird because it occupies quite a bit of screen time), and the payout (if any) would be greater. I haven't checked if they removed it on other versions of the show distributed later and elsewhere. This sort of thing happens a lot. All a bit pointless to talk about really. Let's get back to low sun - I just use the visor on my helmet - @Jodel's gaffa tape trick sounds like a good one. For some reason, I can't balance wearing sunglasses - it's either because even thin plastic can change focal length slightly, or because one can only see bright objects while wearing them, or something, I don't know... a longer visor or baseball cap sounds good to me.

Last edited: