Lowering amps

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I have a 30 amp infineon controller,i know if you add solder to the shunt of a controller you can up the amps,can you do the opposite and file away bits of the shunt to lower the amps to 20 or 25 amps,or maybe put in a 3 or more speed switch,running at 48v with a 30 amp controller on my ezee torq mk 2 motor is probably wasting energy,i would like to be able to save some power for longer runs.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I have a 30 amp infineon controller,i know if you add solder to the shunt of a controller you can up the amps,can you do the opposite and file away bits of the shunt to lower the amps to 20 or 25 amps,or maybe put in a 3 or more speed switch,running at 48v with a 30 amp controller on my ezee torq mk 2 motor is probably wasting energy,i would like to be able to save some power for longer runs.
What I had read somewhere that instead of messing around with the shunt or the controller you could fit a cycle analysis to your bike and then adjust the levels of amperage from the display but not above 30amp though only lower.

MS.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to save power, select a lower level of assist, or are you saying that level one is still too high.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think you waste energy because the controller is capable of 30A instead of 20 or 15. It's the speed you ride at.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
If you want to save power, select a lower level of assist, or are you saying that level one is still too high.
There are no levels of assist,just a throttle i have an ecrazyman 250w controller,that works ok till you hit a big hill i think its only about 12amp and a its a 36v,the infineon 30 amps is probably too far the other way,the original ezee 20amp controller was about right,but that stopped working and was binned.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
With the infineon, you can set three levels of throttle. I use 30%, 60% and 100%. So at 30%, you use the throttle as usual, but at full throttle you're only getting 30%, if you see what I mean.

D

Deleted member 4366

There are no levels of assist,just a throttle i have an ecrazyman 250w controller,that works ok till you hit a big hill i think its only about 12amp and a its a 36v,the infineon 30 amps is probably too far the other way,the original ezee 20amp controller was about right,but that stopped working and was binned.
You can make a simple cruise control that works like infinitely variable PAS as long as you have brake cut-offs.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/very-simple-cruise-control.13456/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mountainsport

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Im bumping this thread because none of the replies really answered the original question,my infineon controller has two shunts so today i filed a v in them,to try and lower the 30 amps,when i next do my normal commute i will report back.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Im bumping this thread because none of the replies really answered the original question,my infineon controller has two shunts so today i filed a v in them,to try and lower the 30 amps,when i next do my normal commute i will report back.
Yes, it will reduce the power from the controller, but I suspect a couple of notches will not have much effect. FYI, cutting one of the shunts completely should half the power.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I did my normal commute to work today,there is a lot less acceleration in the bike now,and hill climbing was slower,but the battery took just as long to charge as normal, suggesting hardly if any saving on power use overall,so i think i will solder the shunt back up.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I did my normal commute to work today,there is a lot less acceleration in the bike now,and hill climbing was slower,but the battery took just as long to charge as normal, suggesting hardly if any saving on power use overall,so i think i will solder the shunt back up.
Hmmm... Maybe. As the charge nears completion, the current tapers off and the last 10% of the charge actually takes the longest. This will be the case no matter how discharged the battery is to begin with. Judging the energy used by the time taken to charge is not necessarily going to tell you very much. You need to use a wattmeter consistently at either time of discharge or charge for a proper comparison.

It is entirely possible that in certain circumstances, a higher current can keep your motor running more efficiently, so really there's no hard and fast rule. Generally though, I would expect lower current to equate to an increased range.

Last edited: