Lowering handlebars on Kalkhoff Pro Connect 9

Des Braban

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
I have a 2015 Kalkhoff Pro Connect 9 pedelec which I can't fault at all. However, I had comfort issues with the overall height of the handlebars and saddle numbness when riding more than 5 miles. I ended up replacing the saddle with a Selle Royal men's Ellipse saddle which I have set level.

Now to the issue of how to lower the handlebars. The only way to do it was by replacing the Concept adjustable stem with a conventional one found on a hybrid or mountain bike, but therein lies a problem. The digital display is mounted on the clamp which holds the bars to the stem, so by installing another stem, I would have nowhere to mount the display. It just so happens that my son's bike was in my shed, so I carried out some measurements of his stem and found that the handlebar clamp bolts were very similar to the Concept stem on the Kalkhoff. I decided to take his off and see if the Concept clamp would fit. Hey presto, it fitted perfectly. So I then bought my own stem.
The Concept stem was easily removed by loosening the two clamp bolts and unscrewing the bolt which sits down inside the hole in the top. I then installed the new stem along with a top cap and moved one of the 10mm spacers to the top, thus dropping my bars by 35mm. This has now put me in a more comfortable riding position like that of a hybrid bike and I feel like I have better overall control. If by any chance that I needed the bars even lower, all I have to do is turn the stem upside down to give me another 25mm drop. If you wanted to do this yourself, the new stem is a: Da Bomb Floata, 90mm with a 7 degree upsweep and costs 19.99 GBP.Stem 1.JPG Stem 2.JPG Bike with new stem.JPG

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Thanks for posting this, my wife has just had a bike fit for her Kalkhoff which resulted in a much better riding position, but the fitter could not find a way of mounting the computer. Looks like you have the answer.

Advertisers