Major Momentum New Supplier on Ebay

aeschylus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
Power Assisted Electric Bicycles | eBay

My very limited knowledge in this field may be incorrect, but these guys look like they have had a big shipment of bikes from China and have come to market with them, though they are using 8fun motors, and reckon they have been in the market since 2006!!

"Formed in 2006, those of us at Major Momentum Ltd are no strangers to life as competitive players in the corporate world. We established ourselves on the back of 15-years experience in Fast Moving Consumer Goods retail and enjoyed great commercial success vending Sports and Music related merchandise at International events across Europe.

The point is that we know a fantastic product when we see one. We also understand what it means to offer unbeatable service. We are a company that values customer service above all and as such, we are happy to stay in contact with you and answer any questions you might have regarding our E-Bikes. Please let us know if you can find a better offer anywhere else in England online"

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Interesting I have seen samples of those battery/controller in the back wheels powering front hub motor before, but this is the first time I have seen them for sale.

Regards

Jerry

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The video is hilarious!....love em! (not the bikes)

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I don't get the point of having the battery in the wheel....just adds to rotating mass which is awful for cycling un-powered. Also what about battery replacement....expensive I would imagine. Also a nightmare to get a puncture in either wheel. Very strange in my opinion.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I just had a little skim through their promotional video on eBay. You'd have to be bonkers to buy a bike from those guys, they clearly know nothing about the product that thy are selling. I LOVE the attempt to fold the bike at 11 mins....absolutely hilarious and enough to put anybody off. All components look about as cheap and basic as possible. I very much doubt that those bikes would survive many trips in the environment in which they are demonstrated.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah don't you love that video! (just two guys casually talking about the bike not trying to sell them oh no!)

Now folks........ I've just figured something out......... the non-folding blue bike they show is pretty much the same as the Burisch with a few differences. As far as I can see what's the same is:

Same frame (though not in sexy White)
Same battery (though not in sexy black)
Same gears and motor

What appears to be different:

The Burisch has only one level of assistance (it does not have a controller thing on the handlebar)
The Burisch has different forks
The Burisch has a different Chain-ring (who's idea was that?!)
The Burisch has different brake levers.
The Burisch is £50 less (was £100 less but the price went up last week).

Apart from that it looks like exactly the same bike! (and I have a Burisch so I should know!)

The Burisch looks better of course (well thats my opinion) - and I am not sure if these bikes have three levels but that thing on the handlebar makes it look like they do.

But here I am in Devon and I brought my Oxygen with me because I have not yet gotten the 50T chainring for the Burisch - and without it you really cant go anywhere.............

Still - at least we beat the Swedes eh?

:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Clearly they know nothing about bikes, the rear brakes are V brakes, not Caliper. The folder appears to be a copy of the Montague but the hinge area construction looks terrible, not something I'd trust. The battery and controller in the wheel looks like a copy of the Tidal Force one.

All in all a very mixed bag.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah they completely dont seem to mention that there are 3 levels of assistance..... if there are - anyway I just asked over on Ebay for clarification about that (for my own amusement more than anything else). At least I know another place I can get spare parts for mine should Burisch have any problems sourcing things. Oh I also asked them how many teeth on the chainring just as a matter of interest to compare with the Burisch.

aeschylus

Jun 11, 2012
the funniest bit is a 4.40 on that video when he tries to go uphill on that muddy slope... it just goes to show they are just trying to make a buck (no issue with that) but whilst that video is amusing it is also concerning as you have probably got no chance of support

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
the funniest bit is a 4.40 on that video when he tries to go uphill on that muddy slope... it just goes to show they are just trying to make a buck (no issue with that) but whilst that video is amusing it is also concerning as you have probably got no chance of support
I doubt they realise there is this forum anywhere and their vid is going to be subjected to such close scrutiny by such an audience as this! Bless them eh? But amateurish is sure how it came over to me - like 'eh Dave 'ow 'bout we go do a video so we c'n flog some of 'em bikes what you got the other day eh?'

Did you notice at the start the guy did not even know which lever made the gears go up or down - he was pressing one and saying it did the opposite - though later in the vid he got it right!

Ah its nice to be on such a high level and look down upon such mere mortals eh?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the downhill bit was why I posted that I loved them, they are genuinely clueless.....God bless em..

I blame alibaba for outfits like this

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
On a positive note - and as a businessman myself......... good on them if they can make some money out of this - provided they deliver some back-up service too - I ain't got nothing against people trying to make a buck in this world - providing like I say they keep their word and do provide a decent level of support after the sale.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
On a positive note - and as a businessman myself......... good on them if they can make some money out of this - provided they deliver some back-up service too - I ain't got nothing against people trying to make a buck in this world - providing like I say they keep their word and do provide a decent level of support after the sale.
I agree with this sentiment, however I believe that great after care requires in-depth product knowledge and experience.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I agree with this sentiment, however I believe that great after care requires in-depth product knowledge and experience.
Well that sure helps - but I guess generally speaking I'm willing to let people 'learn on the job' providing they act with some integrity and human decency.......

Only time will tell............

John in DC

Jan 12, 2012
I don't get the point of having the battery in the wheel....just adds to rotating mass which is awful for cycling un-powered. Also what about battery replacement....expensive I would imagine. Also a nightmare to get a puncture in either wheel. Very strange in my opinion.
The guts of the hub battery are shown at 14:05 in the video. Does it look to you like the battery cells are part of the rotating mass or do they look stationary while the hub case spins around them?

BTW, this appears to be their supplier/manufacturer for both the bike and the hub battery...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/493949610/high_speed_brushless_hub_motor_e.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/531650876/New_type_36v10ah_12_28_wheel.html

Rgds...

- john

Last edited:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Well that sure helps - but I guess generally speaking I'm willing to let people 'learn on the job' providing they act with some integrity and human decency.......

Only time will tell............
James, again I admire your supportive spirit; however I can only imagine the scenario....Joe public buys a bike and let's say a hall sensor fails, or it has even a basic wiring fault; what then? The vendor either has to be able to fix the bike himself or employ somebody who can do the job. Option 1 would not be something you could learn "on the job" quickly enough to keep the customer happy and option 2 is expensive for the vendor and I cannot imagine would work with bikes at this price point/profit margin etc. To me it just looks doomed to fail when problems cannot be resolved and customers ultimately run away. He will perhaps be able to shift a load of stock initially, make some money but in my opinion never be able to keep customers happy.