Man arrested after woman hurt in London e-bike collision

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Man arrested after woman hurt in London e-bike collision
Female victim, 56, suffered life-threatening injuries after being hit by electric bike in Dalston

Damien Gayle

Thu 30 Aug 2018 09.49 BST Last modified on Thu 30 Aug 2018 10.52 BST

A man has been arrested after a hit-and-run collision between an electric bicycle and pedestrian that left the victim with life-threatening injuries.

The 56-year-old woman was struck by the bicycle just after 5pm on Tuesday as she crossed Kingsland High Street in Dalston, east London. Police and paramedics were called and she was taken to hospital.

The man riding the bike was also thrown to the ground by the collision, but reportedly left the scene. The bike – an electric-assisted Specialized pedal cycle – was found abandoned on Approach Close in Stoke Newington.

Late on Wednesday officers arrested a 30-year-old man on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm under section 35 of the Offences Against the Person Act – “injuring persons by furious driving” – after he contacted police.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/30/london-e-bike-collision-dalston-kingsland-woman-injured

Let us hope the poor victim recovers despite the injuries.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am considering the implications of such an incident / accident here in Northern Ireland where these ebikes are currently illegal :(
I don't see that there could be any vehicle usage based charge like dangerous driving, since they exist to control legally registered vehicles. A charge under those laws would constitute an acknowledgement of legality. And it couldn't be Furious Driving since that's a cycling charge and e-bikes aren't bicycles in N.I.

There could be the charge under the 1835 Highway Act of using an illegal motor vehicle, not type approved or registered.

As far as any injury was concerned, it might have be under a law applying to everyone, such as Causing Grievous Bodily Harm.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG and LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The CCTV show the lady running the bike over! Not the other way round and the guy panicked and ran away.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing