Manchester Bike Hire under threat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Manchester is the latest city with its bike hire scheme suffering unacceptable losses. Around 10% of their hire bikes are disappearing every month and they now say if this carries on they will have to shut down the scheme. Some end up in the canal, some are destroyed by vandalism and some are "privatised", kept in people's gardens for personal use only

Similar schemes in Paris, Montreal and at least one Chinese city have also suffered huge losses, many others keeping tight lipped about it. Googling for up to date loss information about London's Santander bikes drew a blank, only finding about losses in 2012 and 2015, but I know that it has twice had to have additional large cash support from the GLC to cope with unexpected costs and Barclays abandoned it due to the rising costs.

From the outset I've felt that the failings of most societies and their policing are likely to make most such schemes far more costly than any benefit they may confer.

• Agree
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Yes, I work in Manchester City centre at the moment ... The bikes are left lying on their sides all over the place, places where they've obviously been abandoned or attempted to be stolen.

Real shame if it goes, as you see a lot of people using them.
Have to say though, I'm not surprised as it's just the way society is now.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike and flecc

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
strikes me that these models have not been very well thought through, especially taking cultural differences into account. I live in a very hilly city and the bikes that were deployed here had no chance of working out. Unsurprisingly the scheme was withdrawn, but not before they were allowed to litter the city and cause a general nuisance

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Brighton & Hove scheme appears to be working well not seen any abandoned or burnt bikes might be a better class of citizen ;).

• :D
Reactions: Nefarious

Advertisers