Manuelectric Post Office Electric Vehicle

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just looking for something today and fell across this thread on another forum. Do you remember these pedestrian-operated electric vehicles? Certainly meant the posties could carry a lot more than in an over-shoulder bag or the "shopping trolley" style devices I have seen.

Also was reminded of the BRUTES that were used in railway stations...

You could probably create a very fancy version with today's technology. Automatic locks, GPS built-in, refrigeration, fast charging, usefulness and cost being the limits rather than technology. Some highly specific versions could be dreamt up.

Discussion and several more photos if you follow link:
https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/215249/quest-find-royal-mail-manuelectric

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I remember them for the post, and also for milk (after the horse and before the ride-on mike floats).
Each new one a step backwards for the milkman. While the milkman delivered to one house the horse moved on to the next house (I think it was called self drive, driven by AI). Then the milkman had to move on the handcart between each house. With the float he had to get back into it between each house; or sometimes too much effort so just between each few houses.

I'm pretty sure the post is using something very similar again at the moment in some places.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I remember them for the post, and also for milk (after the horse and before the ride-on mike floats).
Each new one a step backwards for the milkman. While the milkman delivered to one house the horse moved on to the next house (I think it was called self drive, driven by AI). Then the milkman had to move on the handcart between each house. With the float he had to get back into it between each house; or sometimes too much effort so just between each few houses.

I'm pretty sure the post is using something very similar again at the moment in some places.
I lived round the corner to the local milk depot. They didn't have any of the pedestrian ones - just the then-standard battery floats. But I have a feeling I have seen one - but possibly on television. Obviously depends on the area.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I lived round the corner to the local milk depot. They didn't have any of the pedestrian ones - just the then-standard battery floats. But I have a feeling I have seen one - but possibly on television. Obviously depends on the area.
I would certainly have seen these at Dublin Airport back in the days of Vickers Viscounts, and I am also thinking in the Dublin Zoo. Similar devices would have been used on the few pedestrian only streets for street cleaning and rubbish removal. Some are fitted with rotary brushes and a vacuum cleaner

Reactions: oyster

Advertisers