Help! Maps on a tablet

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
We're going to Derbyshire soon to stay in a glamping pod next to the Tissington trail.
The wife's got a Huwei android tablet and we'd like to use it's GPS to navigate around the area/see where we are. There's no 'phone connection on it and we'll be away from WiFi.
So can I get maps, or an App, or what? These things are new ground for me, so be gentle.
Thanks
Ben

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I use Google maps and you can download areas to use off line and is free to use.
An easy way to start using maps is to type into google, or tap the microphone icon and say (as an example) "navigate to The Royal Hotel Whitby" which will open maps and prompt any signing in/google account that needs doing and then work out the route. Any issues just google "using google maps" and then "using google maps offline". You can do this on a PC and then send the info to your mobile device.
I have a google acount and gmail web mail address so that might be a good place to start and the bonus of web mail is that you keep the same email even when you switch providers.
Google maps shows bicycle friendly roads and tracks as well.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Gubbins.
So, presumably, we could download the map, through wifi, direct onto the tablet whilst at home, for use later on?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks Gubbins.
So, presumably, we could download the map, through wifi, direct onto the tablet whilst at home, for use later on?
Yes, exactly. The maps can only be downloaded in sections so you cant download the whole f UK but enough t cover the area you are staying in. I use youtube to learn new skills.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
We're going to Derbyshire soon to stay in a glamping pod next to the Tissington trail.
The wife's got a Huwei android tablet and we'd like to use it's GPS to navigate around the area/see where we are. There's no 'phone connection on it and we'll be away from WiFi.
So can I get maps, or an App, or what? These things are new ground for me, so be gentle.
Thanks
Ben
Have a look at the MAPS.ME app in the Play Store. It should do what you want, you can even download full country maps which, unlike Google, don't expire after a few weeks.

Advertisers