Matt Baker - Rickshaw Challenge

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hemcould double his range with an ebike lol
Could get a few batteries on the old rickshaw :)

I may be missing the point though

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Hemcould double his range with an ebike lol
Could get a few batteries on the old rickshaw :)

I may be missing the point though
He can't Scotty, in the UK the electric trikes can not weight more then 60kg incuding the batteries and motor. At the momment this the only rickshaw that meets the criteria. Matt is running an old German Velo cab that weights approx 90kg unassited.

all the best

Andrew

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
90Kg... Suprised he can even get up hills with that weight.

Another quick question... If lets say the Rickshaw with motor was 60kg. But you then carried the batteries/controller in a backpack, or removable bag. then does this get round the weight issue in the eyes of the law??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
90Kg... Suprised he can even get up hills with that weight.

Another quick question... If lets say the Rickshaw with motor was 60kg. But you then carried the batteries/controller in a backpack, or removable bag. then does this get round the weight issue in the eyes of the law??
I doubt it, the connection would probably rightly be interpreted as making the battery a part of the bike. The law doesn't specify that a bike has all it's parts rigidly or flexibly connected.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I dont know why i'm asking its not like i'm doing it.

Must be a nightmare if you get a headwind and a hill on the rickshaw.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Must be a nightmare if you get a headwind and a hill on the rickshaw.
I watched a bit with him on a hill and even with a solo cyclist pushing as well and at very low speed, it was clearly a huge effort needed.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
He's doing an amazing job. I am surprised that nobody has built a trike style electric rickshaw under 60kgs-ally frame,carbon tub seems very possible. I once jumped into a rickshaw in the Haymarket-where to mate?--Limehouse please-.........off!!!!!! No sense of humour these youngsters!
Seriously though a rickshaw under 60 kgs,that should be easily possible.
Dave
KudosCycles

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
I am surprised that nobody has built a trike style electric rickshaw under 60kgs-ally frame,carbon tub seems very possible. I once jumped into a rickshaw in the Haymarket-where to mate?--Limehouse please-.........off!!!!!! No sense of humour these youngsters!
Seriously though a rickshaw under 60 kgs,that should be easily possible.
Dave
KudosCycles
We did Dave, this is the only one we made Maxpro Street Flyer - the lightest pedicab rickshaw in the World electrically assisted below 60kg and we achieved this with heavy Heinzmann and 24V 17Ah lead acid pack although it wasn't easy to get it designed.

at the end alloys are very tricky and like to crack when heavily overloaded.

all the best

Andrew

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Andrew...thats a good looking rickshaw....surely it would sell well in London....your last comment seemed to suggest it had it's weaknesses? Too many 17 stone MD's who want to get back to Limehouse.
Dave

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Dave, I used to be a rickshaw rider in London and I remember taking two nice looking girls to Stepney Green, not very far from Limehouse but you are right I wouldn't take 17 stone MD for this trip and would probably tell you 'off fellah'':rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes Dave, our first alloy pedicab was a testing machine and we learnt a lot from that one. Now we have all designs and manufacturing procedures sorted out but that's 6 years of development. A lot of time but now we make the best pedicab rickshaws :cool:

all the best

Andrew

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Looks like today is his last day, he's almost reached the M25.