Max amps

Parsons

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2018
Hi good morning people just need a answer on my sw900 display
Says
P14 The Current-limiting of Controller. The original Current is 12A. Range:1-20A
Please check the current your controller and the hub motor can handle. Set the limit accordingly.
Does this mean I can only get 20amps from the Controller as its rated for 45amp max

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi good morning people just need a answer on my sw900 display
Says
P14 The Current-limiting of Controller. The original Current is 12A. Range:1-20A
Please check the current your controller and the hub motor can handle. Set the limit accordingly.
Does this mean I can only get 20amps from the Controller as its rated for 45amp max
Do not forget that amps are primarily a function of your battery.
But what current can your motor take?
That is the motor watts divided by the nominal battery voltage = Max motor current!
Do not go too close to that, or you might let the smoke out of either the motor or the battery! Or Both!!
You have to better understand what you are setting up for. That the controller is designed to be able to handle "UP TO" 45 amps, as it will be used in probably many different configurations of motor voltage, motor wattage and battery current.
You have not supplied us with enough information to enable any of us to help you better at this time....
Setting up a too high current could cause damage to your motor, possible damage to the battery and/or severely reduce the distance you can ride, and and and.
Be very careful of what you change and please do educate yourself to know exactly what is safe to do and what is not!
I get the impression that electricity is not your day job!!
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sorry Andy, that's completely wrong. It would mean that everybody with a normal 14A or 15A controller is running more than double what the motor can take. 250W (motor rating) divided by 36V is 6.9 amps. No electric bike has ever run with a controller maximum set that low. You'd struggle on a 5% hill.

I think you should be careful about questioning OP's knowledge of electric bikes when you open yourself up to questions about whether electricity is your day job and whether you should be advising people based on your comments above.

Most motors can easily handle 20 amps provided that you're sensible about its use and you don't have a high-speed motor, like a 20" wheel motor in a 26" wheel.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sorry Andy, that's completely wrong. It would mean that everybody with a normal 14A or 15A controller is running more than double what the motor can take. 250W (motor rating) divided by 36V is 6.9 amps. No electric bike has ever run with a controller maximum set that low. You'd struggle on a 5% hill.

I think you should be careful about questioning OP's knowledge of electric bikes when you open yourself up to questions about whether electricity is your day job and whether you should be advising people based on your comments above.

Most motors can easily handle 20 amps provided that you're sensible about its use and you don't have a high-speed motor, like a 20" wheel motor in a 26" wheel.
It does not help people to throw comments around that many will simply not understand.
Generally saying that almost any motor of 250 Watt can handle 20 amps, without defining how long, whether there is a temperature sensor in the motor or not, is not going to improve the situation at all.
Manufacturers differ on the way they build a motor.....
How can the average e-biker know if his motor is one that will handle it or not?
I always try to err on the side of true facts that anyone here can rely on!
We all should do that.
Remember, the highest current drawn, is usually on steeper hills, then the question is for how long (eg. how long is the steep part!), and how hot will the motor get?
The 6.9 Amps is a very safe current level, that will not overheat or damage the motor.
But most controllers I have seen are usually set up to allow between 12 and 15 amps, that is just over double that safe level, for relatively short periods.
Plus some motors are underrated by the manufacturer, to make sure that the motor can do two things, one is not to overheat too quickly, and that the motor allows a rider to ride up many hills while still working at the legal speed.
It leaves a good feeling for the rider too....
Changing that to 20 amps, reduces the safety margins dramatically....except that many batteries cannot supply the current anyway!! A further built in safety margin.....

Next is that 3 x the safe current may be a "bridge too far". Only the manufacturer will know for certain.
Some motors are built to be able to be used on both 36 volts and 48 volts....difficult to tell from the outside of course.....
Also, even if the motor can handle it, the distance that can be covered by the battery, may vary wildly from the givens....just because a different way is being ridden....
If everything is set up correctly, there should not be widely variable "results"....
As most e-bikers I know, rely on around a certain distance per charge.....I do myself.
Andy

Parsons

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2018
Iam still learning and reading all your input guys I've changed my controller and display both 45amp max but it was the setting that I mentioned as I can only set the limit on the display to 20amp does that mean it will only give 20amps to the controller sorry for sounding daffed

Reactions: Torque

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Iam still learning and reading all your input guys I've changed my controller and display both 45amp max but it was the setting that I mentioned as I can only set the limit on the display to 20amp does that mean it will only give 20amps to the controller sorry for sounding daffed
If it's a 45 amp controller, that 20 amps max on the LCD is probably wrong. Be careful. It might be an idea to check the current independently with a wattmeter.

Tell us which motor you have so that we can give sensible advice on current. Tell us voltage too. do you know the no-load speed of the motor? see if you can check the max speed with the wheel off the ground. Some LCDs will only go up to a certain speed, like 32 mph regardless of actual speed, so check too whether the LCD maxes out before the wheel.

D

Deleted member 25121

But what current can your motor take?
That is the motor watts divided by the nominal battery voltage = Max motor current!
Do not go too close to that, or you might let the smoke out of either the motor or the battery! Or Both!!
I'm sorry but that really isn't correct.

250W/36V=6.94A
So you set your max current to a lot less than 6.94A do you? 5A for example?

That really isn't helping the OP is it...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My wheel is a 1000w 48v
£44.42 7%OFF | High quality 48-84V1500W Ebike Controller With SW900 LCD Display One Set
The motor speed is an important characteristic. A low speed one can run with higher current for more of the time than a high speed one. 40 amps is generally OK as long as you only use the high power in the upper half of the speed range. 45 amps sounds a bit high to me.

You also need to think about your battery. How much current is it rated for? You won't get 45 amps from an average 48V ebike battery, which would cut off if you tried.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm sorry but that really isn't correct.

250W/36V=6.94A
So you set your max current to a lot less than 6.94A do you? 5A for example?

That really isn't helping the OP is it...
5.95 Amps because when you charge the battery it is charged to 42v! ;)

The "Ignored Member" is here on a mission, not to help. When I figured that out I clicked the magic "ignore" button and threads are much cleaner of useless nonsense now... :rolleyes:

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
So If i have a 250w motor 36v I set the Ah to 5 in the settings on my display,do i have that correct.i have 36/48v dual 13ah controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
From display S830, Controler 36/48v 13A
What did you set to 5?

There's a big difference between amps (A) and amp-hours (Ah). Amps is the current flowing. The more current you have, the more power it gives. Amp-hours is charge capacity, like how much charge is in the battery, which relates to how far you can go.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Continuous current - this is the current that you're motor will run happily at all day long as long as you have power and typical for normal use on flat roads.

Peak current - this is the max current that you can push through your motor when you require short term power, for example going up a steep hill full throttle with PAS at 5, the motor and controller will start to heat up but as long as it's short term it won't damage anything just drain you're battery capacity faster.

Nominal current - pretty meaningless as the vendor can make this up.

Capacity can also get confusing as a lot of sellers use Watt-Hours (Wh) not Amp-hours (Ah) as the number is always bigger. To convert Wh to Ah divide by the voltage of your battery, similarly to convert from Ah to Wh multiply by battery voltage