Maximum range you have ever had on your ebike?

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Just wondered what is the maximum ever range achieved by an ebike using the power sparingly? Perhaps using regen on a direct drive motor or riding unassisted except for the steeper hills. What is a comfortable maximum range just using the motor to tame the hills? I googled for a answer but surprisingly couldn't find it although my search text could be wrong.

I mean a bike that is good for 20 miles without rider input must mean perhaps 40-60 miles with the rider putting in some effort but could you get 80-120 miles just by saving it for the hills?

On a bike with regen could you generate power on the flats to recharge the battery or would there be too much resistance?

In theory could you normalise your effort so its pretty much the same going downhill on the flats and uphill by use of regen?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Just wondered what is the maximum ever range achieved by an ebike using the power sparingly? Perhaps using regen on a direct drive motor or riding unassisted except for the steeper hills. What is a comfortable maximum range just using the motor to tame the hills? I googled for a answer but surprisingly couldn't find it although my search text could be wrong.

I mean a bike that is good for 20 miles without rider input must mean perhaps 40-60 miles with the rider putting in some effort but could you get 80-120 miles just by saving it for the hills?

On a bike with regen could you generate power on the flats to recharge the battery or would there be too much resistance?

In theory could you normalise your effort so its pretty much the same going downhill on the flats and uphill by use of regen?
Got a pedelec to save my old legs not the battery;):p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
48 miles from a Bosch 500w batt using all modes and a couple of hills. regen wont work on bikes going this slow.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
regen won't work on crank drives and geared hubs. Even on direct drive hub motors, it won't extend the range for more than 2%-3% because that's roughly the amount you lose through braking.

Reactions: gsm.terra

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Regen not relevant for various reasons as above.

You can get a very good idea from https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
This is for Bosch motor bikes, but gives a good idea for others as well with a little interpretation.

It is easy to get that to suggest well over 100 miles on a 400wh battery;
choose lowest level of assist, low weight, fast bike, flat road etc etc
Many people have said they have indeed got well over 100 miles even with some assist all the way.

Make things a little more realistic with Tour level of assist and it will quickly drop to not much over 30 miles.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
103 kM with about half battery left, 789m elevation gain. Yamaha Haibike with 400wh battery.
This was when I decided I was not going to bring the bike back from Austria after the summer. At the time the bike was restricted but I spent most of the day riding with people I met along the way so had the power switched off or on eco plus most of the time. I went from the north east coast through Durham and up to Consett at about 270m above sea level. From there it was downhill all the way to Sunderland. After that I upped the power to get me up from the coast for the 20kM home. On the other hand in the Alps the same battery is flat in 30 - 35kM!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
The best I’ve done on my cube acid one 500 was 68 miles (not kilometres like the roadies use ;) ) and that was nursing’s the battery, Off & eco on the flat, upping the power only when I really needed it.
This year I’m riding much more often (both analog & digital) but my 59year old knees suffer on the longer rides so I now Stick to sub 45 mile rides and use all the available battery :cool:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
My bum has a genetically programmed maximum range of 25 miles. Does mean I never suffer range anxiety though.
You and me both o_O ;)
ive been using Enzos buttonhole cream for a few years now, unlike most other chamois creams it has numbing properties:cool:
unfortunately I ran out a couple of months ago and couldn’t find any more in the uk ( plenty state side but shipping doubles the price) I’ve now brought several different brands in the UK but there no where near as good, turns out I would have spent less just buying from the states in the first place:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bobajob

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
You and me both o_O ;)
ive been using Enzos buttonhole cream for a few years now, unlike most other chamois creams it has numbing properties:cool:
unfortunately I ran out a couple of months ago and couldn’t find any more in the uk ( plenty state side but shipping doubles the price) I’ve now brought several different brands in the UK but there no where near as good, turns out I would have spent less just buying from the states in the first place:rolleyes:
Enzos buttonhole cream :oops:
Nearly choked on my coffee when I read that!:D:D:D:D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most I manage on a day out is 160km, though 200km is within usable range.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Most I manage on a day out is 160km, though 200km is within usable range.
Neal
How does that 160k pan out regarding riding times, rest, recharging, refuelling the old metabolism etc?
I tend to just ride with the only stops for water until I know my old pins are getting tired by the increases in motor power I have to use a up hills. I suspect that’s my problem not taking on enough energy bars etc etc.

rob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Riding time wise is about 7 -8 hrs, a nice partially planned ride out.
Rest wise as little or much as circumstances out and about require, I will stop for about 20mins to eat my bit of food, usually moist packet fruit like dates, prunes and apricots. Nana's are a no no as they get smashed.
Sometimes a sandwich and some nice goodies flap jacks or sweeties.
As I'm not in a race there is no time limit to a ride.