Maximum Speed Control

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
I have a brushed motor, I have looked on ebay for brushed controllers, but they don't seem to have any connection for a maximum speed control sensor.

I imagine a brushless motor controller can use the feedback (Hall effect or magnetic) from the motor to manage the maximum speed, but a brushed motor hasn't got that, so I assume it needs a sensor in the hub, or bottom bracket.

Do brushed motors need some kind of speed sensor?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have a brushed motor, I have looked on ebay for brushed controllers, but they don't seem to have any connection for a maximum speed control sensor.

I imagine a brushless motor controller can use the feedback (Hall effect or magnetic) from the motor to manage the maximum speed, but a brushed motor hasn't got that, so I assume it needs a sensor in the hub, or bottom bracket.

Do brushed motors need some kind of speed sensor?
Why do you want to do this? The motor will be wound for a maximum speed at a set voltage.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Most brushed motor controllers are for electric scooters that don't need any maximum speed limit. Controllers for Ebikes are very hard to find. An Ebike one might have extra features like pedal sensor connector and a connector for a wheel-speed sensor.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi there , I tried for months in vain to find a suitable brushed controller for a friend and failed other than for silly money

The most practical and economical solution was to buy a decent condition second hand motor ready laces and a new controller.

You might find an powabyke one as they used brushed for years past most other manufacturers

I recall they do have both wheel speed and pedal sensors (and need both to work, it's not either or)

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
I couldn't find any UK legislation mentioning a requirement for a speed or pedal sensor, so don't need those. There's a good choice of brushXlessXed controllers available on ebay. They have a useful variety of inputs including throttle, but luckily no speed or pedal sensors. I got one which was just what I needed at a very reasonable price. The elebike is now working well, its speed appears to be naturally limited by the motor type and power to about 15mph the legal limit.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I couldn't find any UK legislation mentioning a requirement for a speed or pedal sensor, so don't need those. There's a good choice of brushless controllers available on ebay. They have a useful variety of inputs including throttle, but luckily no speed or pedal sensors. I got one which was just what I needed at a very reasonable price. The elebike is now working well, its speed appears to be naturally limited by the motor type and power to about 15mph the legal limit.
Are you now using a brush less motor controller on a DC brushed motor ...? ? Would be interesting to see how you wired it in.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Typo corrected!
I don't understand this response. In a number of previous threads you have referred to a DC brushed motor. Are you now stating that it was in fact a brush less motor, which in essence is an AC induction motor , and which needs a complex controller?. While these brushless motor controllers are not expensive, due to the miracle of mass production, they are complex electronic devices.
If you are using one of these controllers on a DC brushed motor I would be interested in how it is done.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
For "brushXlessXed" read "brushlessed". Strikethrough is cleverly hidden away under "insert".

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I couldn't find any UK legislation mentioning a requirement for a speed or pedal sensor, so don't need those. There's a good choice of brushXlessXed controllers available on ebay. They have a useful variety of inputs including throttle, but luckily no speed or pedal sensors. I got one which was just what I needed at a very reasonable price. The elebike is now working well, its speed appears to be naturally limited by the motor type and power to about 15mph the legal limit.
No legal requirement for speed sensors just it can't do more than 15 mph but it has to have a pedal sensor to comply with the law, and probably as implied to operate as the controller expects a signal before working.

Advertisers