Help! Melted Motor Wires

Noracle

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2021
Unfortunately I dropped my ebike when accelerating, broke the throttle and appeared to have burnt the motor wire connectors.
Not sure if it happened at same time or if the factory motor wire connectors had been slowly melting, which is what it looks like to me.
I've ordered some MT60 3 pin connectors but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this melting situation would have also cooked the controller and or the motor?
Or is it just that the connectors are sub standard and only themselves failed much like a fuse?
Thanks.41327

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That looks like long term heat damage that you happened to find at the same time. Bullit connectors are notoriously bad for high current applications. The MT6o's should be much better.
Can't comment on whether the controllers gone or not. Before re-powering, disconnect the broken throttle, try it with just pas on a low setting.

Reactions: Noracle

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If your bike still works, it happened some time in the past. It is quite a common problem. It's partly due to the crappy connectors and low temperature pvc shrouds and partly due to going slow for too long up hills.

Don't waste you time and money with new connectors. Just solder the wires together and double heatshrink. It's a lot less work, more reliable and cheaper.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As said it's not uncommon for them to melt, I have had it before.
MT60 are 60a capable so should pose no issue, I use them. When soldering them make sure the shroud is slid up the wiring first and then when soldering the opposite half make sure the wires are orientated correctly as the they have a key way that only allows one way of connecting.

Noracle

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2021
Thank you all very much. Your comments have answered all my questions including the ones in my head not stated. :cool: