Mid drive conversion questions.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
l'm thinking about having my hybrid (step through frame) converted. After looking at the options I think a mid drive conversion would be best. I have to take the front wheel off to get it in the shed and often tow with a follow me tandem, which requires a specific rear axle.
I'm a little concerned about losing gears as I would go from 21 to 7, with assistance this is ok, but if I get a flat battery it could be interesting!
It would need a rack battery, looking at 9aH battery possibly 11 (extra £50).
Looking at a cost of £825-875 fitted. Seems a lot so is it worth it? Trialing the bikes they seem fantastic. I can also use the cycle to work scheme. Can't figure out how much I would save, it's an extra 10% on the cost if I use the scheme (in price above).
Any opinions or information welcome.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can get a complete bike under these schemes but wasn't aware that you can buy an e-bike kit are you sure ?
Which kit are you talking about how about a link !!!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Seven gears are fine if they are the right ones. You can have 14 gears with a little more effort (or a lot more money).

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the replies. Think it might be worth considering fitting it myself. Seen the thread on the 250w GSM mid drive units from whoosh. Am I correct in thinking I can connect these to any suitable battery a swoosh don't seem to do a rack battery.