Mini Experiment, electric Vs manual

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I've been considering buying an electric bike for my commute to work, I wanted to know if there would be any benefit using an electric bike over a decent manual road bike.

I wondering if the extra weight of the electric bike (3x as heavy as road bike) would counteract the benefit of the motor.

I rode my road bike 20 flatish miles, I kept my heart at around 110 (did not want to arrive at work exhausted), on my manual road bike I averaged 11.4 mph over the 20 mile course (not great i know, i have to improve my fitness a lot)

Today i did the same course on my Mum's new Freego Wren, keeping my heart rate at around 110, to try and mimic a similar level of effort.

When i put the electric bike on level one, it was much harder to pedal than the road bike, it felt heavy and sluggish even with a bit of electrical assist, i averaged only 7/8 mph at a heart rate of 110.

Going on to level 2 helped a lot, on this level the bike felt on par with my road bike, I was averaging similar speeds, around 11/12 mph. I think on level 2 the motor compensated for the extra weight, I did not see any real benefit over the road bike, other than i was achieving a similar speed with a more comfortable upright position.

On to level 3 (full power) and everything changed, the speed was much higher than i had hoped, i actually got over 19mph with full assist, and tootling along at my 110 heart rate I was achieving a consistent 18mph, far in excess of what i had hoped.

I tended to go on level 3 when i was on the open road and drop down to level 2 when i passed through a village, my average speed was 16.2 mph, much higher than that 11.4 i got from my road bike, with similar levels of effort from me, I also benefited from a more comfier riding position.

I was also impressed with the battery life, I used a quarter travelling 20s mile mostly at level 3, i'm not sure how the battery level drops off though.

Overall, i'm left feeling impressed with the electric bike, much more so than i thought i would, I'm going to the cycle show at the NEC in September, so will hopefully be able to demo a range of bikes.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with electric bikes vs manual ones?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Julie
I too have tried an experiment or two similar to yours, but I would find it difficult to ride at constant 110 BPM, but instead I just ride hard and keep pedalling.
My tests are between a Boardman road comp and a Scott Crank drive e-bike. On the road bike I avoid hills like the plague so my comparisons are on runs of 15 to 20 miles without hills.
The two main differences are that the e-bike is noticeably quicker and my average HR which was around 140-145 on the road bike is now 130-135 on the e-bike. The main big advantage of my e-bike is around town.. In turbo mode I can accelerate away from the lights and roundabouts faster than the traffic! I dont need to change gear I just leave it in 4th out of 9 in which I can spin the pedals up to the cut-off whist most cars are still slipping the clutch.
Needless to say Boardman doesn't get much use and I Just love my E-bike
Phill

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I've been considering buying an electric bike for my commute to work, I wanted to know if there would be any benefit using an electric bike over a decent manual road bike.

I wondering if the extra weight of the electric bike (3x as heavy as road bike) would counteract the benefit of the motor.

I rode my road bike 20 flatish miles, I kept my heart at around 110 (did not want to arrive at work exhausted), on my manual road bike I averaged 11.4 mph over the 20 mile course (not great i know, i have to improve my fitness a lot)

Today i did the same course on my Mum's new Freego Wren, keeping my heart rate at around 110, to try and mimic a similar level of effort.

When i put the electric bike on level one, it was much harder to pedal than the road bike, it felt heavy and sluggish even with a bit of electrical assist, i averaged only 7/8 mph at a heart rate of 110.

Going on to level 2 helped a lot, on this level the bike felt on par with my road bike, I was averaging similar speeds, around 11/12 mph. I think on level 2 the motor compensated for the extra weight, I did not see any real benefit over the road bike, other than i was achieving a similar speed with a more comfortable upright position.

On to level 3 (full power) and everything changed, the speed was much higher than i had hoped, i actually got over 19mph with full assist, and tootling along at my 110 heart rate I was achieving a consistent 18mph, far in excess of what i had hoped.

I tended to go on level 3 when i was on the open road and drop down to level 2 when i passed through a village, my average speed was 16.2 mph, much higher than that 11.4 i got from my road bike, with similar levels of effort from me, I also benefited from a more comfier riding position.

I was also impressed with the battery life, I used a quarter travelling 20s mile mostly at level 3, i'm not sure how the battery level drops off though.

Overall, i'm left feeling impressed with the electric bike, much more so than i thought i would, I'm going to the cycle show at the NEC in September, so will hopefully be able to demo a range of bikes.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with electric bikes vs manual ones?
Seems like an e bike will get you there quicker and less tired. Even if the route is flattish and can be ridden at above the e bike cut off speed on a road bike much of the way.

For your journey I'd think about a Kalkhoff it it was me. They seem to be built like tanks and are known to rack up high mileages.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would do the same. The Kalkhoffs are well put together for high mileage.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi Julie<br />On the road bike I avoid hills like the plague <br />Phill<br/>

And, of course, on a strong-motored ebike you go looking for 'em _ Just because you can ☺

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Julie<br />On the road bike I avoid hills like the plague <br />Phill<br/>

And, of course, on a strong-motored ebike you go looking for 'em _ Just because you can ☺
Oh! ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Does capitals mean I am shouting? Cos I am... From the rooftops.. Excuse my exuberance but its like 30 years off my life.. Never mind king of the mountains, when I climb 3000 feet I feel like the king of the world. Especially when I wait for me son (Yawn) and ask him if he had stopped for a cuppa!

Reactions: jackhandy