Mirider 1 off road

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Last weekend l collected the missus's Mirider 1
The bike is for holidays in the caravan, hopefully l will be taking my Kona FS Ebike.

However l've been having some fun on the Mirider, l did a 19 mile ride on Tuesday and tonight l decided to try one of my regular off road routes.

It's obviously out of the remit of the Mirider but it did really well. l have to say that technical descents required some care, and the steepest climbs needed standing on the pedals due to the lack of gears.
One great feature is the boost button which provides full power instantly and enables re starts on steep hills. lt was easy to hoist the front wheel on hill starts and hold it for a few metres, causing some laughs among regular MTB riders that l met on the route.

One thing, the side stand is low down in the left and is vulnerable to rock hits and also if you try to leave a kerb at an angle, l've clouted it twice fortunately with no damage

But it was great fun taking the bike out of its comfort zone and it did well. Rough bridleways were taken at 15mph with the boost button pressed. l got home from the 12 mile ride (total climbing 1621ft) with no bars showing on the battery, although the bike's motor was still running.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Richtea70

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Another ride today, mainly on road but with nearly 2,000 feet of climbing, and some of the hills were stand on the pedals steep!

The battery expired at the bottom of the last hill, but after l got off and started to push it, the motor came back to life, so l got back on and made it to the top just using assist level 3.

It's the first time the battery has actually shut off. lt had been on zero bars for a few miles, and two steep hills, one of them 1/2 a mile long.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have had great fun taking my old rear hub Oxygen Emate off road. Its unsuitability adds to the fun, though it is much more capable than it has any right to be!

One of the things it has that my Haibike has not is a full throttle like a motorbike and on rough technical sections where a pedal strike would be very likely you can just use the throttle on the Oxygen and keep your pedals out of the way at the quarter to three position. A bit like taking a Honda C90 off road like we did when we were kids before getting more suitable dirt bikes. Great fun.

Reactions: Deus and lightning

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l am surprised that this thread didn't generate any interest.
l am still using the Mirider but less off road now, done over 1,000 miles and still running perfectly

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
With great weather where I am in Surrey this weekend my son and I have been on rides on both Saturday and Sunday adding up to a total of 52 miles. I rode my hard tail Haibike Yamaha mountain bike of 2015 vintage, but my son road my 11 year old Oxygen Emate City. A large proportion of our rides were off road. Quite a lot not too difficult but including rough single tracks with lots of roots as well as loose sand. The Oxygen copes amazingly well, and I noticed my son using the throttle where narrow ruts would have meant a pedal strike to reach a spot where he could resume pedaling. The Haibike is a very capable bike off road and can climb steeper tracks than The Oxygen, but The Oxygen punches way above its weight!