Mirider 2021 how good are they for money

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Hi all been recently looking at two folding ebikes we have come across the company mirider based up north . Now how are they with issues . Spares . Etc are theses worth the price tag £1495 and camo design £1625 ? My only worry’s is battery and distance ? Can you unrestrict them if required ? As im aware they are kt controllers ? Many thanks anything better out there at theses prices as they come with two year warranty

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Mirider is basically the same as the Onebot, which costs around £700. It had/has a big marketing campaign, which is probably why it costs so much. A representative came on the forum and argued that they had special stuff in the Mirider, but what he said didn't really stand up to scrutiny. Without studying both, I'd say that there might be some minor improvements in the Mirider

Thread here, which is basically a review:

Whatever you buy, one consideration should be who's going to fix it when it goes wrong. You'd be lucky to find a local dealer who would fix one of those sorts of bikes. If you can fix things yourself, Id go for the Onebot, mainly for the price, but also because it uses standard Chinese parts that are all replaceable and upgradeable.

One thing that would put me off is the lack of gears. That's fine if you just want it for emergency transport for a few miles, or your 1 mile dash to the station every morning, but not much good for touring.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As I understand it, MiRider changed to spoked wheels instead of cast, and increased the battery capacity slightly to 7Ah for 2021 - the weight dropped by about 1.5kg. As the rep implied, they use KT controllers, and they also use Clarks cable-operated disc brakes instead of generic Chinese ones. As far as I could establish when I looked at one, they were the main differences between the Chinese assembled Onebot S6 and the British assembled MiRider. If you live north of Birmingham, there is a decent dealer network for support. South of Brum, it's a wilderness. Obviously once dealers are involved, they need to make a profit too.

Are those things worth doubling the price for? The MiRider does get fairly good reviews, but my thoughts would be to buy an S6 and change the controller yourself.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Many thanks for your advise and feedback much appreciated. We r down south Oxford way so brum isn’t far . We will test ride the mirider Saturday morning . As I said if I went for a mirider can the kt controller be de re stricted

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy the one bot and fit the excellent KT stuff to it and it will still be a lot cheaper then the mirider.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
if I went for a mirider can the kt controller be de re stricted
If it is a KT controller you should be able to derestrict in theory, but MiRider may have modified theirs to prevent you doing that. You'll need to ask them.

Even so, it's a 16" wheel: Wait until you're riding one and ask yourself if you would feel safe going much faster than 15.5mph. The other thing to consider is that neither the S6 or MiRider have any gears. I'd think you may be spinning out quite soon above the assisted 15.5mph.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Many thanks for your advise and feedback much appreciated. We r down south Oxford way so brum isn’t far . We will test ride the mirider Saturday morning . As I said if I went for a mirider can the kt controller be de re stricted
It's probably already derestricter. You'll be lucky to get 15 mph out of it.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
The short answer to derestriction is Yes, although I didn’t bother because the combination of 5 power levels plus the throttle meant that it did everything I needed out of the box.

I bought the 2020 version with the alloy wheels and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 2021 version should be equally reliable and the additional battery capacity and reduced weight should give a much better range. I was getting around 15 miles but that was mostly on bridleways and canal paths rather than on road.

The only way you will top 20+ mph is on a decent downhill but the bike is actually very stable at 30 mph. The brakes are very good and easy to adjust. Overall build quality is very good and I covered 170 miles in total without any issues. In fact it was a lot more comfortable than my other bike which is a full size hybrid. Folding the bike is easy and although mine weighed in at around 19kg, it could be put in the boot easily enough.

The support from MiRider when I had a couple of queries was first class. I also bought an additional battery from them last year but if you wait until Black Friday you may find they sell them at a discounted price.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l am going to comment as l've ridden the Onebot and the Mirider while looking for bikes to take in the caravan.

l am a regular Ebike rider (3,000 miles in the last 12 months on my Kona Remote 160) so didn't have high hopes for these folding Ebikes tbh.
As the Kona is full suspension machine that cost over 5k

The Onebot was a used one that a friend owns and it rides okay. lt feels well made and folds easily, it will do 15 mph easily on the flat and can be ridden without the motor assist if you want.

The Mirider was a 2022 model l tested at my LBS, l went out for an hour on it although the battery died after 45 minutes of thrashing.

I have to say, the Mirider is definitely better. The assistance is smoother to engage (although not as smooth as my Kona, but that's a torque sensing system rather than cadence)

The brakes are better, although the Onebot brakes work fine. l can't comment on wet weather durability as we have a bit of a heatwave going on here at the moment. The Mirider is lighter and the seat post adjusts more, although at 5ft 6in l fitted fine on both bikes.

The display is better on the Mirider and it has more assistance modes, so you could probably make the battery last longer by careful tweaking of the assist level on a ride. My missus won't do this though.

The Mirider has a bigger battery so it should go further, l rinsed the battery in 14 miles but that was here in the Derbyshire Peak District where everything is either up or down, and l was in assist mode 4 (second highest) most of the time.

As a comparison my Kona has the Shimano 504Wh battery and l've just got back from a 24 mile ride with one bar showing, which means the battery is down to under 20%

So, Mirider or Onebot? You can buy two Onebots for the price of one Mirider, for occasional holiday use the Onebot would probably be fine but l think for anything else my vote goes to the Mirider.

Also l like the fact that l can take the bike back if it's faulty or needs any work. l've ordered one in the grey colour so will report back when we've got it.

l will be going out for rides with my friend on his Onebot so further updates will follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSV3MiaC