Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
The R&M Birdy is an interesting design.

I’ve ordered the MiRider so will let you know how I get on. The test ride was good and sthe professional reviews are good too, although you’re never quite sure if they’ve actually ridden them or just cut and paste from another reviewer.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
The MiRider arrived on Friday and I took it out for a spin with a friend who has a 26” wheel unassisted MTB today.

First impressions are very positive.

We cycled a mixed route comprising a steep downhill road section, unpaved muddy canal towpath, long road uphill sections, and (most importantly) 2 pubs before returning via the canal path and the steep hills. Ambient temperature was around 12°C and with a titanium ankle and not having ridden for around 40 years, the little bike had a lot to put up with.

On the flat and slight inclines, I used level 2 (out of 5) PAS but found I needed level 5 on the long drags and used the boost function to set off. The ride was very comfortable and coped well with the mixed surfaces. Brakes are impressive.

The performance was impressive and I found I had to stop frequently to let my mate catch up. The only problem I found was that at higher PAS levels I had a tendency to chase the performance by pedalling faster and faster but I guess that’s down to experience. On level 5, I was cruising at 11-14 mph with no effort. Without assistance however it was a slog so I only tried that once !

I was initially disappointed at the range, especially after the first 3 miles when 50% of the battery had been depleted following a long incline; however, after a short walking section the battery recovered to 75% so I suspect that a prolonged level 5 run had played a part.

Total route was 8 miles after which the battery was down to the last bar (of 4) but still pulled strongly on the final uphill to my house. Average speed was around 8.5 mph. The
user manual states that battery performance improves after the first couple of charges.

Next week’s run is planned to be on the flat and the battery will have gone through at least another charge cycle so we’ll hopefully see some improvement.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All PAS levels above 0 cause voltage sag increasing more so on 3 -5 , when the load(current) is reduced to a lower level the voltage rebounds (gets a chance to recover) so the real time voltage/charge level will show. This is normal and all batteries will do this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want range then frugality is the answer no matter which e-bike, get used to riding in PAS 1 using your natural ability and with a little added assist long rides can be had. Save higher PAS levels for inclines only then change PAS down again.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Is this the model with a tiny capacity 5.2 Ah battery? If so I wouldn't expect much more than about 10 miles range, if that, if you are using the higher assist levels

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I thought it might be helpful to post a review from the perspective of a completely new user so I’m not trying to sell the bike to anyone or convert the experienced users of more powerful daily riders.

There are a few things I need to adjust (and adjust to), one of which is the seat height. I currently have it too low for efficient pedalling but I can comfortably touch the floor. Unfortunately, I’m right sided and it’s my right ankle that’s been replaced so I don’t have the flex or strength to toe down. I guess I’ll eventually get used to sliding off the seat and straddling the frame.

@Nealth. I get the point on PAS settings and where possible ran on PAS2 but little boy syndrome on a first ride out meant 4-5 was a lot more fun. At 61, my wife has given up on me growing up though. Thanks for the useful observation on the battery recovery - I’d rationalised it as a heat/efficiency thing so good to have confirmation.

@egroover. I knew the battery capacity was 5.2 Ah but, by the same token the bike is light and the motor is low torque (I think it’s rated at 12Nm). That said, the motor pulls very well uphill and I would describe it as “right sized“ rather than “tiny”. Apparently, a larger capacity will be available next year and is backward compatible. Should I ever feel the urge to visit 4 pubs, I can get a spare battery.

Reactions: Tony1951

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Last edited:

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Fair enough. I think they use the same frame as the bike here:
Not sure what other differences are other than this one is £800 cheaper :eek:
To be blunt, you’re not really adding anything constructive here. This is my opinion of my first ride on an eBike that I was happy enough to purchase after some research. This bike suits me and my lifestyle.

I‘m not sure what you ride or what you think of your bike (I’m sure it’s perfect for you) but whatever it is, your opinion and experience is very much up to you.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
To be blunt, you’re not really adding anything constructive here. This is my opinion of my first ride on an eBike that I was happy enough to purchase after some research. This bike suits me and my lifestyle.

I‘m not sure what you ride or what you think of your bike (I’m sure it’s perfect for you) but whatever it is, your opinion and experience is very much up to you.
I'm not trying to be negative, sorry if it has come across that way. It's your bike, you like it, that's all that matters.

If someone after reading your (helpful) review thinks 'that's the sort of bike I need' I was merely pointing out there are other options for the same type of bike if they are prepared to forgo a UK warranty and a different build spec that would be more affordable, that's all...

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I'm not trying to be negative, sorry if it has come across that way. It's your bike, you like it, that's all that matters.

If someone after reading your (helpful) review thinks 'that's the sort of bike I need' I was merely pointing out there are other options for the same type of bike if they are prepared to forgo a UK warranty and a different build spec that would be more affordable, that's all...
I definitely agree. The Chinese version is a lot cheaper but the UK company has apparently made significant changes according to the pro reviews, but obviously still uses the base chassis, wheels, and possibly battery (if the CN version uses LG). They also seem committed to ongoing improvements in battery and motor performance, although I guess more torque = more current.

I thought long and hard but decided the UK warranty and being road legal made it worth the premium but appreciate that others may prefer price. To be honest, if anything happens to the wheels I’m expecting to be a regular customer of AliExpress !

I bought the orange one so can’t see anybody else thinking that’s the bike for me. Virtually all the kids we passed seemed to like it though !

Anyway, thanks for the olive branch.

Reactions: egroover

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hmmm! This is interesting. Clearly, it's the same frame, wheels, motor and a lot of other stuff. The main obvious difference is that the Onebot has a slightly larger capacity battery.

The MiRider advert says "developed and assembled in the UK", while as the Onebot shows a picture of what looks like a Chinese factory. You can buy the Onebot on Ebay for £500, so there's no way it could be assembled in the UK. Another interesting point is that the Onebot advert says that the frame is a one-piece magnesium casting. The swinging arm arrangement also is a casting. The tooling to make those would cost a fortune, so it's highly unlikely that there would be two lots.

There are two scenarios I can think of. The first is that MiRider were working with the Chinese to supply the parts, but didn't pay for the tooling, so our Chinese friends did a dirty and sold the same parts to a Chinese factory. It wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

The second scenario is that MiRider simply saw the bike at a Chinese show and ordered a whole load of them with their branding, like many ebike companies in the UK do. The development could be adding their logo, and the assembly in the UK could be putting the pedals and mudguards on.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I don’t think they’ve tried to hide its roots.

The first reviewer has probably ridden it.

Anyway, as stated I’m not trying to sell it I’m just relating how I got on with it and it was perfectly fine for my needs and abilities.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
This is a surprising bike.

I went for orange and genuinely expected most people to take the Mickey given that I’m a 5’6” portly 60+ year old but the response has been surprising. I live in S Yorks so they tend to be blunt.

First ride out a bunch of kids shouted “like your biker mister”. Further on dad and son (son 6-8 ish) walking held gate open on the path and dad liked it. In to a rough diamond pub nearby and a few glances and crafty photos but not the expected ribbing.

Today, a more mature guy stops on his Carerra and was very much taken - ideal for his caravan. Further along another group of kids though “that ace - is it a folder ?” Meanwhile, wife’s mates think it’s a chopper.

Only negative comment was from a grumpy old work colleague who asked why I’d nicked a kids bike. The obvious answer was because his dad put up too much of a fight !

skylinefeb75

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2015
Manchester, Sunny England
Hi Guys, Im Andy Birch, the development manager for MiRider. I developed the MiRider One.

We did indeed start with a fully assembled bike out of a supplier in China but, the wiring was quite frankly horrific and the component specification quite, er....rudimentary and it wasnt at a quality point id pin my hat too. The frame and Fork however are quality diecast parts and in my professional opintion (Im an Aerospace Engineer by Trade), really well designed and thus we buy them directly from the manufacturer but (And this is an important point), ours are cast in Aerospace grade magnesium (As tested by my quality team in Asia using XRF (Non-destructive Element Analysis ) on a batch by batch basis)

What I have done with the bike is replaced all of the substandard components and designed a bespoke, fully waterproof (IP67) Canbus wiring harness for the bike. I then worked with the manufacturer KT to modify one of their Sine Wave controllers to offer what I call "Torque Simulation". This coupled with a 12 magnet cadence sensor gives as near to the feeling of having a torque sensing bottom bracket....without the hefty bill.

The bike is assembled starting with a bare frame all the way up to the finished article here in Sunny Wigan. Each of our technicians put their name on each bike they assemble. All technicians have been trained by me personally.

When I joined MiRider I told the owners I would deliver them an ebike id buy...im a lifelong cycling nut and an ultra-fussy engineer. Our bike is now at a standard that id happily buy one myself :)

The bottom line is yes, you can buy the "onebot S6" cheaper....but it is of a substandard quality compared to our bike, does not have an IP67 wiring harness, does not use branded cells and will in the UK climate, quickly fail.

If you guys need any more info or want to ask me any more questionas, feel free to ping me a pm or pipe up on here?

Rob, thanks for the great and honest review. If you ever need any help ping me an email on Andy@mirider.co.uk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice for readers or potential buyers to know the difference when looking at two bikes that in all but name look the same, they have choice. The UK built one also has the local/UK back up should something go wrong.

skylinefeb75

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2015
Manchester, Sunny England
Nice for readers or potential buyers to know the difference when looking at two bikes that in all but name look the same, they have choice. The UK built one also has the local/UK back up should something go wrong.
Cheers for that.

Yes, we have a network of 62 dealers and it is growing daily. We stand by our no-quibble 2 year warrenty and I personally repair any bikes that require doing so. To date we have only had 5 bikes returned to base for issues to be fixed and each time I ensure that any and all issues are designed out in production to prevent any repeat issues going forwards. This is the reason why we assemble in the UK. I ensure quality control is A1

Cheers, Andy