Review MiRider One

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't say that on my pc, the user monika applied is by a computer a litho gramme and reacts to how many posts one makes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi Guys, Im Andy Birch, the development manager for MiRider. I developed the MiRider One.

We did indeed start with a fully assembled bike out of a supplier in China but, the wiring was quite frankly horrific and the component specification quite, er....rudimentary and it wasnt at a quality point id pin my hat too. The frame and Fork however are quality diecast parts and in my professional opintion (Im an Aerospace Engineer by Trade), really well designed and thus we buy them directly from the manufacturer but (And this is an important point), ours are cast in Aerospace grade magnesium (As tested by my quality team in Asia using XRF (Non-destructive Element Analysis ) on a batch by batch basis)

What I have done with the bike is replaced all of the substandard components and designed a bespoke, fully waterproof (IP67) Canbus wiring harness for the bike. I then worked with the manufacturer KT to modify one of their Sine Wave controllers to offer what I call "Torque Simulation". This coupled with a 12 magnet cadence sensor gives as near to the feeling of having a torque sensing bottom bracket....without the hefty bill.

The bike is assembled starting with a bare frame all the way up to the finished article here in Sunny Wigan. Each of our technicians put their name on each bike they assemble. All technicians have been trained by me personally.

When I joined MiRider I told the owners I would deliver them an ebike id buy...im a lifelong cycling nut and an ultra-fussy engineer. Our bike is now at a standard that id happily buy one myself :)

The bottom line is yes, you can buy the "onebot S6" cheaper....but it is of a substandard quality compared to our bike, does not have an IP67 wiring harness, does not use branded cells and will in the UK climate, quickly fail.

If you guys need any more info or want to ask me any more questionas, feel free to ping me a pm or pipe up on here?

Rob, thanks for the great and honest review. If you ever need any help ping me an email on Andy@mirider.co.uk
Sorry, I was starting to believe some of that until I read what you said about the controller. I now have to call bullsh!t. The Chinese came up with " torque simulation" donkeys years ago.

Why can't you guys just be honest? You'd get a lot more support if you were.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Nice for readers or potential buyers to know the difference when looking at two bikes that in all but name look the same, they have choice. The UK built one also has the local/UK back up should something go wrong.
Don't forget the CANbus, so you can't fix it yourself. What happens in two years time when they all need new batteries?

Reactions: mike killay

skylinefeb75

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2015
Manchester, Sunny England
With respect VFR400, I am being totally honest. Please keep your undue negativity to yourself.

"Torque Simulation" is used by other controller manufacturers correct....but the solution we have arrived at supplys PAS "Go" within less than a 1/4 turn of crank roation.....where most if not all others require far more before PAS is triggered.

We at MiRider are proud of our bike. Id hapily pit it against any other available folding ebike all day long.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
With respect VFR400, I am being totally honest. Please keep your undue negativity to yourself.

"Torque Simulation" is used by other controller manufacturers correct....but the solution we have arrived at supplys PAS "Go" within less than a 1/4 turn of crank roation.....where most if not all others require far more before PAS is triggered.

We at MiRider are proud of our bike. Id hapily pit it against any other available folding ebike all day long.
Oh dear! Sorry to be negative again, but we've been discussing the fast response of KT controllers since 2013 - long before the MiRider was even a figment of anybody's imagination. Don't try and blind us with science when we've been working with these things for so long.

I'm not judging your bike. I like all electric bikes, but when people spout crap, it makes me not trust them.

Maybe the misinformation is not your fault because you've been spun a yarn by your suppliers and you swallowed it. My grandad's dying words to me were, "Never trust a Chinaman". I've never forgotten them. I love Chinese people, but that doesn't mean I have to trust them.

Last edited:

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015
Oh dear! Sorry to be negative again, but we've been discussing the fast response of KT controllers since 2013 - long before the MiRider was even a figment of anybody's imagination. Don't try and blind us with science when we've been working with these things for so long.

I'm not judging your bike. I like all electric bikes, but when people spout crap, it makes me not trust them.

Maybe the misinformation is not your fault because you've been spun a yarn by your suppliers and you swallowed it. My grandad's dying words to me were, "Never trust a Chinaman". I've never forgotten them. I love Chinese people, but that doesn't mean I have to trust them.
Im not spouting crap, merely trying to inform people who havent been into electric bikes for years and thus might not have a great understanding of the technology of the facts behind our ebike. What ebike have you built yourself out of interest?

I guess if youre not in the market for a 16" Folding Ebike you really dont need to involve yourself anymore with this thread.....

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Im not spouting crap, merely trying to inform people who havent been into electric bikes for years and thus might not have a great understanding of the technology of the facts behind our ebike.
So just say it as it is: You've asked the Chinese suppliers about controllers, cables, etc, and they've proposed the system that you have, which you think is nice and waterproof, the controller has current control and a fast response time so it's very user friendly. You don't need to try and kid anyone that you've invented these things and they're unique to your bike.
What ebike have you built yourself out of interest?
I've built countless bikes of all types with all sorts of drive systems.
I guess if youre not in the market for a 16" Folding Ebike you really dont need to involve yourself anymore with this thread.....
I'm involved with all electric bikes, regardless of wheel size. One of the purposes of this forum is to provide people with accurate information so that they can make suitably informed choices. I've been doing my best to achieve that for the last 10 years that I've been on this forum. Don't try to tell me which threads I get involved in or else we're going to fall out very quickly.

Reactions: Simonwwfc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All my KT controllers are torque simulation as that is what the Chinese like to call current control, they only need the 1/4 turn to activate. These are std off the shelf ones sold by many vendors, a lot of 12 pole magnets are used with KT controllers.
When CANbus is mentioned is full hands on handshaking so another battery can't be used or is it just the display and controller use tx/rx comms between each other as with all KT stuff ?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
If I was in the market for a lightweight folding bike, I might look at this

£800
11.6ah battery
12.9kg
7 speed
20" wheels

Perhaps a head to head test could be arranged, after all, at £500 less, that's a lot of money to not spend or spend on something else

Already some comparisons made on this test below

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015
So just say it as it is: You've asked the Chinese suppliers about controllers, cables, etc, and they've proposed the system that you have, which you think is nice and waterproof, the controller has current control and a fast response time so it's very user friendly. You don't need to try and kid anyone that you've invented these things and they're unique to your bike.

I've built countless bikes of all types with all sorts of drive systems.

I'm involved with all electric bikes, regardless of wheel size. One of the purposes of this forum is to provide people with accurate information so that they can make suitably informed choices. I've been doing my best to achieve that for the last 10 years that I've been on this forum. Don't try to tell me which threads I get involved in or else we're going to fall out very quickly.
And I am also providing factually correct information about our bike. Looking at your history on here you seem to troll every thread.....I suggest you put down the UFC Keyboard warrior gloves and go out and ride a bike rather than trolling this thread. over and Out......

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
And I am also providing factually correct information about our bike.
Quote: "I then worked with the manufacturer KT to modify one of their Sine Wave controllers to offer what I call "Torque Simulation"".

Factually incorrect. KT have been producing torque simulation controllers for 8 years - long before you ever contacted them.

Quote: ""Torque Simulation" is used by other controller manufacturers correct....but the solution we have arrived at supplys PAS "Go" within less than a 1/4 turn of crank roation.....where most if not all others require far more before PAS is triggered".

Factually incorrect. That's nothing that you came up with. KT controllers have been like that from the beginning 8 years ago. What you mean is that you didn't like the massive delay from the cheapo controller on the standard Chinese original bike, the supplier showed you how the much better KT controller works, and you accepted it. You had no involvement whatsoever in the development in that controller nor the way it works.

PS. I think your chilli eating contests have caused too much hot air to come out of your head.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
And I am also providing factually correct information about our bike. Looking at your history on here you seem to troll every thread.....I suggest you put down the UFC Keyboard warrior gloves and go out and ride a bike rather than trolling this thread. over and Out......
I see vfr has restrained himself from responding to the word 'troll' so I will. If you look at all deeply at his posting history you will see he is in the top three (probably the very top) of helpful technical posts, and has helped a huge number of people; working hard to extract the relevant information from them and give good advice. About as far from trolling as can be.

Reactions: mike killay

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I see vfr has restrained himself from responding to the word 'troll' so I will. If you look at all deeply at his posting history you will see he is in the top three (probably the very top) of helpful technical posts, and has helped a huge number of people; working hard to extract the relevant information from them and give good advice. About as far from trolling as can be.
Yep agree, VFR is all over this forum helping out with advice and technical queries, and has been for many years, the 'go to guy'. He also is to the point and cuts through the BS, which is a characteristic I like in folk

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015
Quote: "I then worked with the manufacturer KT to modify one of their Sine Wave controllers to offer what I call "Torque Simulation"".

Factually incorrect. KT have been producing torque simulation controllers for 8 years - long before you ever contacted them.

Quote: ""Torque Simulation" is used by other controller manufacturers correct....but the solution we have arrived at supplys PAS "Go" within less than a 1/4 turn of crank roation.....where most if not all others require far more before PAS is triggered".

Factually incorrect. That's nothing that you came up with. KT controllers have been like that from the beginning 8 years ago. What you mean is that you didn't like the massive delay from the cheapo controller on the standard Chinese original bike, the supplier showed you how the much better KT controller works, and you accepted it. You had no involvement whatsoever in the development in that controller nor the way it works.

PS. I think your chilli eating contests have caused too much hot air to come out of your head.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for your words of wisdom VFR.
It's a pleasure. I'm always willing to help. Stick to Dhansak and below and you'll be fine - maybe a Bhuna on a Friday, as you can keep the hot air in over the weekend.

To help you a bit more and, hopefully, prevent you getting into trouble with admin, trade members are supposed to register as such, not as normal private accounts.

Last edited:

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015
It's a pleasure. I'm always willing to help. Stick to Dhansak and below and you'll be fine - maybe a Bhuna on a Friday, as you can keep the hot air in over the weekend.

To help you a bit more and, hopefully, prevent you getting into trouble with admin, trade members are supposed to register as such, not as normal private accounts.
Dhansak...that's a southern shandy drinking softies curry....more suited to you Essex boy .

I'm not going to register on here as a trade member thanks.

skylinefeb75

Sep 27, 2015

On a lighter note, I hope your VFR400 is an NC30? A pukka bike and I'd love to own one....one day.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Another run out on Sunday with a couple of mates. Very similar route along well maintained part of the Trans Pennine Trail comprising canal path and a circuit of the nearby lake and golf course before returning home. Nothing too taxing in terms of terrain although a few patches of mud and wet leaves made for interesting handling with narrow handlebars.

A combination of understanding when and how to use PAS (or not) has extended the range further. The total ride was 8.5 - 9 miles (we all forgot to start Strava) and similar elevation of c350 ft and the MiRider had just dropped to 2/4 bars when I arrived home. No pubs unfortunately as we’re in Tier 3 but we had taken a suitable halfway refreshment with us.

Most surprising was that the other 2 riders had to get off and push while the MiRider easily accomplished climbs of around 6.5%. Considering one of the others was also a folding ebike (an Apollo Transport or similar) I thought the little orange folder did well, although the rider of the Apollo is going through the same learning curve as me with the added complication of getting in the wrong gear most of the time.

The only hiccup is an occasional drag sensation which I think may be the rear brake.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Don't be lulled into false security by that battery gauge. With 2 bars showing, you wouldn't have been able to go much further. The gauge isn't linear. it's always good to run your battery right down once so you can see how the gauge behaves. Bear in mind also that the battery will sag when you go up hills, so will cut out before it's empty.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt