mixing different kits

gudz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2020
Hi all.
Am newbie to the e-bikes.
Just wondering, after reading this old thread...

...whether it is legally & technically possible to use a road legal 250W front wheel, with a switchable 1000W/250W 48V controller (in the 250V setting, obviously) ?
Presumably, I could then buy a 48V 13Ah battery with better range, than the 36V 10Ah I would otherwise be restricted to with a 250V kit controller.
Thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't need to have a dual mode bike. They're not legal anyway because you can't use a 1000w motor in a licence-free pedelec.

Use a 250w motor to be legal. Use a controller with lots of amps and a battery with lots of volts. Use a programmable controller, like a KT. When you want an off-road session on your private land, adjust the speed limit to whatever you want then adjust it back to 15.5 mph when you want to go on the road.

Unless you build a special bike with X-fantastic triple piston hydraulic brakes and wide tyres, you'll find that it can become very tedious or even dangerous going much more than 22 mph on a bicycle, which a 250w motor can easily achieve.

gudz

Aug 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply, but I think you've misread/misunderstood my query.
So, to clarify....
I intend to have a 250W legal motor.
The question was whether this motor would be compatible with a switchable controller (in its 250W setting).... the type that is routinely sold with a Voilamart 1000W motor,.... in order that I may use a higher powered 48V13Ah battery.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for your reply, but I think you've misread/misunderstood my query.
So, to clarify....
I intend to have a 250W legal motor.
The question was whether this motor would be compatible with a switchable controller (in its 250W setting).... the type that is routinely sold with a Voilamart 1000W motor,.... in order that I may use a higher powered 48V13Ah battery.
The question doesn't make sense. The power of the battery has no influence on the type of controller. You only have to match the voltage. Why would you want to use a 1000w controller on a 250w motor? Without the LCD, that controller is terrible anyway.

The problem wit you guys is that you never tell us the whole story. All we get is cryptic questions instead of telling us what you're trying to achieve.

gudz

Aug 9, 2020
''You guys''... LoL
It was pretty straightforward.
Why would you want to use a 1000w controller on a 250w motor?
Are you seeing my posts differently than I am? .. coz I clearly stated, twice, 'switchable 1000W/250W controller' and 'in order to use a 48V battery rather than a 36V battery.'

So basically, your original answer should have just been *So long as the battery & controller voltages match-up, then Yes*
Thanks.
You have been most helpful.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
That's a bit harsh. The poster quite clearly stated they were a newbie and therefore may not understand what they are saying/asking and how to put that into words that you may understand.

As you mentioned in a previous post, we all had to start from somewhere and all had to learn from zero.

Last time I checked this was a forum for all into ebikes owners and potential ebike owners and all questions no matter how silly or just plain not understandable surely has a right to be asked by those starting out - or am I missing the point of a forum?

Reactions: Bikes4two and gudz

gudz

Aug 9, 2020
He/She/Xe clearly didn't read my question properly, and assumed I was a mentalist wanting an illegal 1000 Watter.
Then fragile ego got butthurt when I pointed-out their error.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's a bit harsh. The poster quite clearly stated they were a newbie and therefore may not understand what they are saying/asking and how to put that into words that you may understand.

As you mentioned in a previous post, we all had to start from somewhere and all had to learn from zero.

Last time I checked this was a forum for all into ebikes owners and potential ebike owners and all questions no matter how silly or just plain not understandable surely has a right to be asked by those starting out - or am I missing the point of a forum?
That's not it at all. It makes no difference if someone is new or old. If I wanted help with something, I'd say something like this: I have this bike/kit/stuff or whatever. I want to improve it in this area. I have the idea to achieve that by buying this. Is that the best way or can somebody suggest how I can get what I want?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
He/She/Xe clearly didn't read my question properly, and assumed I was a mentalist wanting an illegal 1000 Watter.
Then fragile ego got butthurt when I pointed-out their error.
I think you're the one that's butt-hurt because you don't know how to ask a simple question. Go and get your controller. I hope you have fun with it and don't need further help with it.

gudz

Aug 9, 2020
The question was straightforward,.. you just didn't read it properly.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
vfr400 there's no doubt that you have a good amount of knowledge and help out more than most on here as far as I can see and that is outstanding. I and many others I'm sure appreciate that.

However I really think it is unreasonable to talk to people in a condescending way. I have two autistic sons and I can tell you that neither one of them can communicate to the same level of you or I and therefore I understand that there are many types of people who have varying ability to communicate and convey their requirements. That doesn't mean they are stupid or inept or deserve to be talk down to. Just a thought.

By the way I'm not suggesting that the OP has worded anything incorrectly, merely pointing out that we all have different understandings.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Just to add. You can actually buy a 48v 250w kit. Woosh do some good ones and there are a few others such as the mid drive tsdz2.

Reactions: gudz

gudz

Aug 9, 2020
Thanks.. you don't seem to have had much trouble understanding the question :)
A 48V 250W controller in whatever form... switchable/programmable or otherwise... is the requirement.
The only one I'd seen on ebay was the switchable 1000W/250W.
Just don't wish to be stuck with the smaller 36V battery.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
I'm new to this myself so there's much more to learn. To note however is that as far as I'm aware the 48v 250w kits have a matched 48v motor, 48v controller and use a 48v battery. While many 250w 36v motors can use a 48v battery with an appropriate controller (it's called over-volting). However some on this forum don't like it and others say it's fine.

I'm unfortunately unable to say if the voilamart (I assume that is the kit you saw) will work on a 250w 36v only motor and be compatible as I don't have any experience with them.

In fact it's a bit of a mine field if you want to step away from a pre packaged kit. Basically there are numerous dos, don'ts and maybe's and my advice is look through this and other forums, do some research and watch some youtube videos. But be aware that when one persons say do this another will say do that.....hope that helps.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A lot of old tosh being talked about of switchable controllers
Controllers aren't sold as watts rating, that's just China selling crap which they don't understand. Controllers are sold with a current rating so figure out what output you want for a motor and the voltage you are going to run at. You can't buy aftermarket dual current controllers so stop asking about them.
The likes of the crappy voilamarts and other use software that allows it but the kits are totally illegal if they are switchable.

If you want 1kw, simply buy a good 250w 48v hub motor and run it with a 22 /25a controller to get the 1000w output you want, use it with a good model using current control and 5 pas levels to have anything from 100w - 1000w of power at will no need for rubbish talk of a switchable controller to muddy the waters.

If you can't get a 250w 48v hub get an AKM 500w and take the sticker off and the motor and no will know or be able to test it, other wise get a 36v 250w one and run it at 48v, just decide on the rpm you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: gudz