More battery supplier questions...

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi,

I know Ping’s batteries are highly regarded. Has anybody had any success with any of the other suppliers and if so which ones? I’m expecting to go with Ping but thought I at least ought to shop about a bit. I am looking for about 10ah or 12ah at 36v I think. I am thinking this will get me a fair way on the Tongxin with a fair degree of input from me. I am expecting to use the motor only on hills.

As a thought, I wonder if it would not be cricket to buy the Wisper 14ah battery for £299? I believe that this battery is reasonably well regarded and comes in a case. I would be sticking it in a pannier I expect and it is a bit long for that maybe? Just a thought but maybe Wisper only wants to sell to Wisper owners?

Cheers, BM.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi BM. you'd be more than welcome!

All the best David
Hi, thanks for the super quick reply. That is a real option, I will give it some serious thought. As the battery is already in a waterproof case it might be a good option. I beleive the power out is via a kettle type socket isn't it? If so that would be very easy to hook up as I have a cupboard full of those from old IT equipment. Copuled with a Wisper charger I would be away.

Cheers, BM.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Kettle

Yes BM the is is the last of the Batteries with the Kettle cable type connection as all 2009 bikes will have the new battery box with the water proof bottom connector.

All the best David

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Ah, but!

May I just add one thing. The IEC euro socket on the Wisper Battery is slightly non standard.

The ground pin is orientated 90 degrees to the + and ~ pins. In other words, the ground (central) pin lies in a horizontal plane, the other two in the vertical plane. On standard IEC plugs and sockets, all pins lie in the vertical plane.

If WEVCO could supply a 905 power lead with the battery, then it would work. Alternatively, you could replace the Wisper socket with a Euro IEC-320 C14 chassis socket from Maplins.

Note: Opening the Wisper battery would invalidate the warranty.

Hope this helps

Bob

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Wisper have used 2 different but similar sockets on the 905se, the loan bike I had a while ago looked like my battery would fit but it didn't.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I suspect it's a safety feature. I know it sounds silly, but there are people with little electrical knowledge who just might plug a 230 volt AC kettle lead into it. Oops!

I've done endless searches for IEC plugs with the pins configured in this way, without success. Likewise for chassis sockets.

When using the Ping LiFePO4 extender battery, I had to remove the centre (unused) pin from the IEC C14 flying socket fitted to the Ping. The 905's power lead could then be plugged in.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
May I just add one thing. The IEC euro socket on the Wisper Battery is slightly non standard.

The ground pin is orientated 90 degrees to the + and ~ pins. In other words, the ground (central) pin lies in a horizontal plane, the other two in the vertical plane. On standard IEC plugs and sockets, all pins lie in the vertical plane.

If WEVCO could supply a 905 power lead with the battery, then it would work. Alternatively, you could replace the Wisper socket with a Euro IEC-320 C14 chassis socket from Maplins.

Note: Opening the Wisper battery would invalidate the warranty.Bob
Hope this helps

Hi Guys

There is another way as you can pull the horizontal pin out with pliers as there is no wiring behind this pin :D
The plug is still secured by the two pins very well and would not cause a problem and will still be nice and tight :D
Hope this helps and will enable no additional re-wiring and possibly the pin could be replaced in the battery if necessary?
Don't go rushing out and doing it though as may invalidate the battery, but it is a way around it.
Regards
Mandy

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
A cautionary tale

Hi Mandy,

I must admit, I hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps we should continue with the safety proviso's. Lithium batteries are capable of discharging an enormous amount of energy in a short circuit situation. In such a scenario, the BMS will not be able to react quickly enough to protect the array. Please ensure the keyswitch is in the off position before inserting the pliers into the socket.

Not too long ago, a gentleman building a Lithium battery pack had a little accident, he managed to short the pack with a pair of pliers. The discharge was calculated at 1315 amps!!!. The gentleman reported his pliers disappeared in a blue plasma ball.

You can read the story here

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy,

I must admit, I hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps we should continue with the safety proviso's. Lithium batteries are capable of discharging an enormous amount of energy in a short circuit situation. In such a scenario, the BMS will not be able to react quickly enough to protect the array. Please ensure the keyswitch is in the off position before inserting the pliers into the socket.

Not too long ago, a gentleman building a Lithium battery pack had a little accident, he managed to short the pack with a pair of pliers. The discharge was calculated at 1315 amps!!!. The gentleman reported his pliers disappeared in a blue plasma ball.

You can read the story here

Hi Blew it
Oh God! Must admit I didn't add that info of making sure the key was not in the on position but hoped it would not need to be said but these things can happen if not aware of the consequences :eek:
You are right of course if anyone attempts this please do ensure battery is not engaged and if it is, don't blame me please :D
Thanks for that Blew it :cool: