D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
And?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The Torygraph being an anti EU paper only writes of British people being affected as though it was aimed at us here. It's what the Europhobes always do. But in fact it's a sensible tidying up of the law, and now people from the EU who flout speed limits and other laws in countries of the EU including the UK will be properly dealt with when they ignore traffic law.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also agree and it's going to work both ways, finally catching up with the truck drivers from other countries who so often flout driving law in the UK, particularly tachograph misuse.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
What a great shame. That really is the end of safer motoring.

My mates and I only ever ride our motorbikes over the channel as it the only place that we can ride to the road conditions and not someones idea of a safe speed.

Over here, you have to concentrate on the speedometer, over there you can concentrate 100% on the road. It will now become like the UK with many more paranoid drivers and increased accident rates.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
What a great shame. That really is the end of safer motoring.

My mates and I only ever ride our motorbikes over the channel as it the only place that we can ride to the road conditions and not someones idea of a safe speed.

Over here, you have to concentrate on the speedometer, over there you can concentrate 100% on the road. It will now become like the UK with many more paranoid drivers and increased accident rates.
If keeping within the speed limit is so distracting for you, how did you manage to mislead your driving instructor that it wasn't? I don't think they'd have passed you if they'd twigged.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
If keeping within the speed limit is so distracting for you, how did you manage to mislead your driving instructor that it wasn't? I don't think they'd have passed you if they'd twigged.
Who said I don't keep to the speed limit. I said on the continent that one was free to ride to the road conditions.
Does the limit relate to something other than safe riding speeds? Surely not!

As as far as my driving test, it was taken in a busy town, small streets and much traffic. Driving to the road conditions and surroundings did not take me over the speed.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Who said I don't keep to the speed limit.
You did, here:

"My mates and I only ever ride our motorbikes over the channel as it the only place that we can ride to the road conditions and not someones idea of a safe speed."

premise 1 - Drivers who are likely to be caught speeding are not free
p2 - Drivers in England are not free
p3 - When I am abroad and the police cannot trace me I am free
conclusion - When I am abroad I drive above the speed limit.

"It will now become like the UK with many more paranoid drivers and increased accident rates."

By this you seem to refer specifically to the fact we're talking about here, i.e. the fact UK licence plates will soon be traceable back to the UK when UK drivers speed in the EU, and (returning to your first paragraph) currently you can "ride to the road conditions and not someone's idea of a safe speed". Which is a terrifying thing of you to say if you think about it.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Theres nothing wrong 100% eyes on the road and riding to the road conditions. It is perfectly safe.

In fact, any decent non texting driver should be able to throw away the speedometer and still drive safely.

One should be fined for dangerous driving, not safe driving.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers