more powerful alternative to 750 bafang mid drive?

davidneedsabike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2015
i am willing to trade off top speed and a little duration perhaps + provide moderate flat cruise assist, however health issues make motor ability to climb long and hard with only light pedal assist a priority. I weigh around 17 stones + average bike weight

I get the impression that the Bafang mid drive is excellent but at 750 watt not quite up to the task of touring the more adventurous areas of our National parks / Scotland / Alps - can it be driven efficiently at 1 kw+ or are we in lightening drive territory

I have read that B drive can lack subtlety in control, why is that? - Can it not be gently controlled with the twist grip? - Is the lack of finesse purely in the auto assist sensing, if so, is converting it to manual throttle only the way to go?

Does it freewheel effectively if you wish to peddle only?

I dont want technical or financial overkill, just trying to avoid a system that costs many hundreds and still struggles up any decent hills

Happy with top speed of 20 mph but need to do long 1 in 5 type hills i imagine

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
i am willing to trade off top speed and a little duration perhaps + provide moderate flat cruise assist, however health issues make motor ability to climb long and hard with only light pedal assist a priority. I weigh around 17 stones + average bike weight

I get the impression that the Bafang mid drive is excellent but at 750 watt not quite up to the task of touring the more adventurous areas of our National parks / Scotland / Alps - can it be driven efficiently at 1 kw+ or are we in lightening drive territory

I have read that B drive can lack subtlety in control, why is that? - Can it not be gently controlled with the twist grip? - Is the lack of finesse purely in the auto assist sensing, if so, is converting it to manual throttle only the way to go?

Does it freewheel effectively if you wish to peddle only?

I dont want technical or financial overkill, just trying to avoid a system that costs many hundreds and still struggles up any decent hills

Happy with top speed of 20 mph but need to do long 1 in 5 type hills i imagine
A Bafang BBS02 48v 25A 750w, combined with a 42T chainring, will in my opinion be perfectly suitable for any hill that you care to throw at it.

The hills it can't climb, will be the ones that you will either lose traction first, or have to crawl up on your hands and knees.

Factory programmed units can be a bit brutal for some with PAS, but nothing that can't be fine tuned, using a cheap programming cable and Bafang's software.

I don't pedal without power often, but when I have, it pedals just like a normal bike. The only thing you notice is the extra weight of the battery and motor, but it's negligible.

You don't need to run this motor at 1kw+ continuously for it to perform.
Gearing is the key, which is why a 42T is essential ;)

No idea what it's like on the road with the throttle, as I don't have one fitted. The PAS is pretty good without the need for a throttle.

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
You can get an adapter that will allow a 34 tooth front sprocket (from memory).

As a guide my recumbent trike has a BBS01 46 tooth chain ring, 20" wheel,11-32 rear cluster, trike weight is 19.5kg with battery and motor, I weigh 70 kg (11 stone) and with that gearing a 20% grade is possible with negligible assistance.

So after all that :) a BBS02 should when gear appropriately climb anything you can keep the front wheel down on.

There is a 1 kw version coming out but chain life might suffer.
http://www.emax-ebikes.com.au/store/p43/BAFANG_-_BBS_HD1000_-_Pre-Order.html

Re throttle control mine is basically on/off with soft start, the PAS I mind smoother but it is still a soft start that ramps up, but you can set the assist level to 9 differing levels, pedalling without motor is very slightly more drag on the pedals, negligible in use and obviously no drag on the rear wheel.

Last edited:

davidneedsabike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2015
You can get an adapter that will allow a 34 tooth front sprocket (from memory).

As a guide my recumbent trike has a BBS01 46 tooth chain ring, 20" wheel,11-32 rear cluster, trike weight is 19.5kg with battery and motor, I weigh 70 kg (11 stone) and with that gearing a 20% grade is possible with negligible assistance.

So after all that :) a BBS02 should when gear appropriately climb anything you can keep the front wheel down on.

There is a 1 kw version coming out but chain life might suffer.
http://www.emax-ebikes.com.au/store/p43/BAFANG_-_BBS_HD1000_-_Pre-Order.html
or
or Dynamic shaft drive?

?

Re throttle control mine is basically on/off with soft start, the PAS I mind smoother but it is still a soft start that ramps up, but you can set the assist level to 9 differing levels, pedalling without motor is very slightly more drag on the pedals, negligible in use and obviously no drag on the rear wheel.
nice find :) ..if you excuse the pun, looks like the chain will be the weakest link - might need upgrading more to motorbike standards? - The thought of a derailleur jumping out of gear with this amount of torque is truly alarming - lovely set-up though, if a trifle dear - maybe the 750 with smaller prime gear will be good enough - is a modern hub internal gear set-up the way to go to avoid possibility of jumping chain fear - which would be recommended? - presumably a beefier chain could be more easily fitted to this when there is no need to skip from gear to gear? - Any belt drive solutions with this type of geared hub?

eg http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-alfine-sg-s7000-8-speed-gear-hub/aid:742113 ?

Last edited: