More winter prep

sal_park

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2012
Hi,

starting to get my bike ready for the coming winter and a month or so ago I order some replacement gear cables and a cable stop (hard to find) to re-route the cables so they could be covered as much as possible. Anyway, this is what I started with
(yes, it really is that muddy)

dirty.jpg

so after a bit of cleaning I ended up being able to see the front mech and a box of mud:
mud.jpgclean.jpg

I wanted to re-route the cable along the top tube and make the front mech a 'pull up' rather than 'pull down'. The kit I bought (clark) had lots of natty bits to make sure as much as the cable could be covered and I think the job is quite neat (apart from possibly the cable ties). Anyway, here is the end result:

done1.jpgdone2.jpg

I now need do the rear mech, but the bl?$dy kit from clarks had two internal cables: one was long enough for the front mech and the other was tooooo short for both ! (yes - I did check the lengths - twice). I suspect that the shorter cable would have been ok using the more normal run for the front mech.

Anyway comments welcome !

SP

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Not quite sure what you mean about the rear cable. If you are only replacing the inner wire, they are quite cheap.
As for the mud!!!
I was going to ask how many miles you get to a chain, but perhaps it would be better to ask how many yards.

sal_park

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2012
Not quite sure what you mean about the rear cable. If you are only replacing the inner wire, they are quite cheap.
I've replaced the inner & outer and re-routed the gear cable for the front derailleur and plan to the same to the rear derailleur, but because of my re-route I need two long gear cables rather than a long & a short as was supplied in the kit.

As for the mud!!!
I was going to ask how many miles you get to a chain, but perhaps it would be better to ask how many yards.
Not too bad so far. I put a new chain and rear block on in the summer so we'll see how it goes. Probably done something like 600 miles on the new chain so far.

SP