Motor Cut-Off Not Working on Rear Brake Lever

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Dear all,

The motor Cut-Off has stopped working on the left hand (rear) brake lever of my Wisper 905SE.

I'm in the habit of squeezing both brake levers at the same time, so its taken me a while to notice the problem.

I don't recall the wire getting pulled at any time, although I did come off the bike a couple of weeks ago when I hit a patch of spilt diesel (the brunt of the impact being taken up by the saddle bags and by my backside).

Whats noticeable is that the cut-off doesn't work, the outer sheath of the wire has pulled back about 2mm from the brake lever housing, and the blue and red inner wires are visible (although no actual copper is exposed).

Being a bit of an electro-mechanical duffer I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions as to how I might go about investigating and fixing the problem?

Regards,

Elephants

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Being a bit of an electro-mechanical duffer I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions as to how I might go about investigating and fixing the problem?

Regards,

Elephants
Not without pulling out the controller and using a continuity meter, I haven't looked at mine yet so can't make any good suggestions.

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
This happened to my Wisper 905se too, took it back to the shop and they said there wasn't a problem with the wiring, but there seemed to be a fault in the controller (??) they then replaced the whole lever.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Do we really need the cut off?

Doesn't the motor already cut off when we stop pedaling or release the throttle?

Motorbikes don't have cut offs.. Why should ebikes?

Anyway, I'm asking because I've just changed my brake cables and noticed that the rear brake cut off wire wasn't connected at all. Also, the front brake cut off seems to be coming away from the housing and also isn't working..

Are they not just an unncessary safety requirement?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Do we really need the cut off?

Doesn't the motor already cut off when we stop pedaling or release the throttle?

Motorbikes don't have cut offs.. Why should ebikes?

Anyway, I'm asking because I've just changed my brake cables and noticed that the rear brake cut off wire wasn't connected at all. Also, the front brake cut off seems to be coming away from the housing and also isn't working..

Are they not just an unncessary safety requirement?
Pedelec answers most of your questons.
Pedelec doesn't cut out the instant you stop pedalling, I often pedal whilst braking to select the correct gear.
Motorbikes don't have pedelec and it's not so easy to use an electric cutoff with a petrol engine, also certain manoevres on a motorbike require power and braking at the same time for low speed control.
Braking with power to the motor puts unnecessary stress on the spokes, more for a front drive bike but Wispers aren't immune from spoke failures.
Of course you could run without it but I like it and consciously use it for low speed control.

Advertisers