Motor cut off switch

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Hi

Im having trouble finding a workable position for a magnet/reed switch braoe sensor for my hydraulic brakes so am looking at a diy option.

Just looking at fitting a small micro switch. Would it be a push-to-make or push-to-break switch that is needed?

Cheers

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need a push to break switch.

If you cut the cable from the sensored lever, you'll see three wires: black, red and yellow or another colour. Black is the ground, red is 5V and the other colour is the sensing wire. Check with a multitester to confirm that you get about 4.5V between black and red. The active signal is sent to the controller by shorting the signal wire to the black wire. Test it, join these two wires, when you switch on the LCD, you'll see error 25. Disconnect the signal wire, error 25 will disappear.
Search ebay for 'Ultra-Mini-Lever-Actuator-Microswitch-SPDT-Sub-Miniature-
Micro-Switch' and look for one that suits your HDB.

I made mine with this switch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Ultra-Mini-Lever-Actuator-Microswitch-SPDT-Sub-Miniature-Micro-Switch/281812287222

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
I've just fitted the Eclipse magnet cut-offs and they work really well.
Hi Lardo

I have the same one, Im not sure if I placed the sensor or magnets well as mine does not seem to be working,do you get any info on the display when the motor power is cut off ,the only display I get is when the sensor is attached and the magne is not in range is an exclamation point and the motor will not work.

Thanks

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
No, nothing happens on the display at any point with mine. I'll take a pic of mine if it would help.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Here is the brake off position:

Herr is the brake activated position:

As soon as I put any pressure on the lever the motor cuts out.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
thanks Lardo ,I have readjusted the magnets placement,before I wont because the 3m tape will be wasted,took a few goes and now it its working,im too dumb or excited when i fitted them the two square tabs are for securing them with cable ties after readjustment,mine works now and I get the exclamation point sign and I think it is the cut off sign,im uploading a photo just now

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Mine is the C961 and I don't get any error. I think I did once but I'd plugged the wrong leads together!

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
thanks to your post it got my attention,looks like I cycled 353.8 miles around northeast without motor cut off:(

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Glad you got it sorted, although it looks like you might as well return the kit as you obviously don't need it!

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Sorry, I misread your post and thought you'd done 300+ miles with it cut off so was saying you didn't need a kit!