Motor Issue

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Folks

any idea what this noise is? Only occurred yesterday on way home. MXUS 250w motor has done 6000 km without an issue now this.
Now about to fit my last working motor just as winter starting!
Tried to remove casing to have a look but it's those recesses rather than screws so may get hold of the tool if it sounds fixable?

Many thanks
Martin

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=6D8D587AE8624A90&resid=6D8D587AE8624A90%21724&authkey=ADT_XUJza5VuZns" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"

D

Deleted member 4366

It's difficult to tell from the video because I don't know what you're doing with the throttle, but it sounds like it still makes a noise when free-wheeling. If that's so, it must be a mechanical problem, which means you have to open the motor and then the cause will be obvious.

If it only makes the noise with some power from the throttle, but is quiet free-wheeling, then it's an electrical problem. Please tell us which it is.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
turn the bike upside down and spin the (font) motor wheel backward to engage the planetary gear, listening to the gear noise. If there is a rasping sound then one of the nylon cogs may have been damaged.
Spin the wheel forward and feel the drag. If there is a drag then the clutch is damaged.
If it's not mechanical then check the motor cable. If it has 9 wires then the problem is likely in one of the 3 Hall sensors. If it has 3 wires then I don't know where the problem may be.

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
That was me varying the throttle Dave.

I can spin it by hand and you can just about the noise inside but not as bad as with power obviously as it's not doing the same RPM

Probably delaying the inevitable in that to diagnose any further will need opening up.
Will have a surf for the tool that opens them up as it has 4 recesses in the outer cover.

D

Deleted member 4366

One last thing to try: Loosen off the disc fixing screws a couple of turns each, and see if the noise goes away.

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Ok tried that Dave still the same. If I hold the axle by hand and spin the wheel there is a 'lumpy' bit each rpm.
Guess there is something inside amiss.
Putting the Q128 on for now.

D

Deleted member 4366

Oh well, it was worth a try. On some motors there's very little clearance for the disc screws, and they make a sound just like yours.

Can you show a photo of the non-disc side so that we can see how it comes apart.