motor or controller fault - what do you think?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
My bad fortune with Tongxin components continues! We're in France and this morning, after about 10 miles the motor, which is a 175rpm in a 700c wheel, cut out going up a moderate hill.
When I restarted it, the motor was turning over at low revs (c. 3mph equivalent), and making a bit of noise.
I fear it is the motor. I have a spare controller with me but not a spare motor. It's not the end of the world as we're not touring by bike this time but brought the the bikes on the back of the car.
Do people think I am right about the motor or is it worth spending an hour putting my spare controller in and seeing if that does the job?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although it sounds like a motor failure Frank, it could still be the controller if it's one of the 3 wire motors, failing to sense the emf feedback for all phases.

If it's an 8 wire motor, it could be the controller, a Hall wire connection open circuit or the motor.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Well I tried changing the controller and it hasn't fixed it! So 90% sure it's the motor.
The only possibility is that I need to short the pedelec sensor. The spare controller I have is an eCrazyman one which has connections for one. I brought the sensor but I'd need to take the crank off to fit it and don't have the tools with me. It may be that it needs to either have the sensor conneted, or shorted, to work. Playing with the magnets in my hand didn't do anything. Anyone know how one might short a pedelec sensor...?

Edit - just swapped emails with Keywin and he says it would work without the sensor - so it's definitely the motor!

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
All is not lost! The tourist office in Angers has put me on to a shop which has electric bikes for hire. Picking one up in the morning!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant! Enjoy the rest of your holiday Frank, and tell us about the hire bike in due course.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Fixed!

It turned out to be neither motor nor controller, but one of the motor wires had become loose in its connector - so Flecc, as ever, you were pretty much right in your post above. An easy fix, but not so easy to locate!