Moustache Samedi 28.5

Wizzelina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2020
Our Samedi 28.5’s arrived 2 weeks ago and they are fantastic. Gorgeous red colour - I have a step thru and OH has one with a crossbar. So comfortable to ride and the handlebars are great for people with low back problems as a more upright position. The motor assist is effortless and very smooth to change through different modes. Makes going up hills that I haven’t been able to cycle up for years easy. In frame lock is robust but we also have cable locks to secure them to something so they can’t be picked up. I was worried about the weight c25kg but no problem lifting it up into the store room. Only niggle is that there is nowhere to put additional lights on the handlebars but think this can be solved with the basket bar accessory. The bike does come with lights but we like to ensure we can be seen at night as we ride along lanes with no lighting. So far all good! (Apologies if I haven’t used technical terms but we are leisure cyclists and bought them to try and improve fitness levels as we deteriorate through age)!

D

Deleted member 33385

Our Samedi 28.5’s arrived 2 weeks ago and they are fantastic. Gorgeous red colour - I have a step thru and OH has one with a crossbar. So comfortable to ride and the handlebars are great for people with low back problems as a more upright position. The motor assist is effortless and very smooth to change through different modes. Makes going up hills that I haven’t been able to cycle up for years easy. In frame lock is robust but we also have cable locks to secure them to something so they can’t be picked up. I was worried about the weight c25kg but no problem lifting it up into the store room. Only niggle is that there is nowhere to put additional lights on the handlebars but think this can be solved with the basket bar accessory. The bike does come with lights but we like to ensure we can be seen at night as we ride along lanes with no lighting. So far all good! (Apologies if I haven’t used technical terms but we are leisure cyclists and bought them to try and improve fitness levels as we deteriorate through age)!

When I was cyling to work last night, I later found out that I was noticed by a friend who was driving. He told that my headlight was "Blinding" and that he thought to himself "That's bloody bright for a bicycle headlight!"... which is exactly the effect I wanted, when I moved my normally unnoticeable Junstar 5W headlight onto my handlebars. Lights are much more noticeable when they're situated further up, than on the frame mounting point between the forks. The other advantage, was that I could quickly and easily switch from dazzling driver's eyes to illuminating the cylepaths, when I actually needed them to light my way, which is impossible to do while riding if it's on the fork. Despite my efforts, a couple of drivers along my 24 mile journey, didn't see me. I mean... I'm fully clad yellow high viz reflective man with blinding headlights and rear lights - and I'm STILL invisible to some people.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
With two nice new bikes I would not rely on a cable lock. I know they are heavy but a good ulock is what I use. A longer style rather than the short ones so that you have a chance to secure to something.

• Agree
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

With two nice new bike I would not rely on a cable lock. I know they are heavy but a good ulock is what I use. A longer style rather than the short ones so that you have a chance to secure to something.

I agree - cables are easily cut, quiety too no matter how thick and sturdy the cable looks. A long D-lock is what I use, plus a token cable around the wheels. It's defeatable with an anglegrinder, but I'm hoping electric anglegrinder toting bike thieves are not two a penny among bike thieves...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there you go try cut through that ;)

• :D

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Those Moustache bikes look good and you should have great fun on them.

I only posted about your cable locks because I would not want you to have either of your lovely bikes nicked and although cable locks look good, generally the cables can be cut really easily.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

D

Deleted member 33385

That's great! Hope bike thieves aren't watching... The Lockpickinglawyer is really depressing sometimes - I bought very well made swiss front door locks, and watched him tear through them within seconds, but it did take him a few seconds longer than the others. Let's face it, all locks are rubbish. Most bike thieves will use brute force. Thieves more skilled would be cracking safes:

D

Deleted member 33385

Maybe they couldn't see you because they were blinded. And don't worry I always do as I wish.

Actually, the ones who pulled out from the sides last night, only stopped when they were were in line with my headlight light beam. A 5W LED is very low power compared to a car headlight, not exactly blinding in comparison - about the brightness of a 20W incandescent bulb. Dayglow is only useful during the day, or when illuminated at night. I might try to illuminate my dayglow outfit by directing a light at myself somehow, without causing myself night blindness. I'll stick with my solution, it goes without saying that you'll stick to yours... but I've said it anyway - stay safe, it's no fun being hit by a car. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0150_01_01.JPG

its still not bright enough the tree is not catching on fire :(

Wizzelina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2020
I also wear a flashing vest that I used to wear when leading horses out dark mornings. That on top of a high viz jacket with reflect 360 patches plus flashing rear lights means I should be seen! Thank you all for your comments. At the end of the day with frame locks, battery locks and locked to static items at least if they get stolen we have complied with all insurance requirements. They are locked away at home so can’t see what else we can do.

D

Deleted member 33385

The Gallium/Aluminium Hydrogen production reaction is a new one, never heard of that... and it can be reused to make more hygrogen, which is fantastic. It's a pity that hydrogen is a major ozone detroying gas, so trillions of little puffs escaping, if ever there were hydrogen filling stations all over the world, would lead to all living things on Earth frying.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i could only get some 4% stuff from the from the hair dresser outlet as dont do 100% hydrogen peroxide because it is rocket fuel.

D

Deleted member 33385

i could only get some 4% stuff from the from the hair dresser outlet as dont do 100% hydrogen peroxide because it is rocket fuel.

Hey that's useful! I've got loads of old beige computer bits - bloody annoying how they yelllow. A quick Google:

...is food grade 12% available possible to buy I wonder? It'd probably just need longer to work it's magic. Hope it doesn't turn my old CRT monitor blonde... Or maybe I do.

Last edited: