Moving Off at Traffic Lights

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
If you have a non-ebike or ebike without a throttle are there any tips on improving how to move off from a standstill at traffic lights? Even when on my old MTB years ago I always have struggled getting a good start moving off at traffic lights. As well as poor acceleration, I wobble quite a bit. Yesterday I ended up getting bleeped at by a driver behind me because I'm too slow. I have been practising in a car park (with the local kids taking the p*** out of me :() but no real progress. I don't use cleats, just ordinary trainers and boots.

Any constructive tips on how to improve?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
1) Make sure you're in the right gear (the most important point)
2) I lead with my right leg: At stop, rotate the crank backwards to ensure the right-hand pedal is in the 1 o'clock position. If you need to accelerate away even more quickly, you can apply your full weight by standing on that pedal.
3) Practice until you no longer need to think about it.
4) Platform pedals with tiny knobbly studs work brilliantly with trainers because the knobbly bits grip between the tread of the trainer without your foot slipping off the pedal. Wellgo M195's are an excellent low-cost wide platform pedal (for example) which cost just £9 new on ebay.

You're never too slow. It's the arse beeping at you that's being impatient. Don't let those odd silly events dent your confidence - you have as much right to be there as they do.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Almost impossible to explain; and different people have different ways that suit them.
My way is to get the right pedal to about 1 to 2 o'clock and push down as hard as possible, with the left foot ready to go as soon as needed. Others prefer to scoot; I've never managed that.

Half toe clips make to easier to raise the pedal before you start; backpedal brakes make it almost impossible. Try just a half clip on the right; that helps raise the pedal and keep the right foot properly engaged on it without the complication of trying to kick the left foot into its clip.

An ebike with torque control helps as assist is immediate; the extra half pedal turn or so before the motor kicks in on most cadence sensor bikes is a big disadvantage. Hill starts across a junction with a major road and no lights is the worst.

Reactions: FatBob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're never too slow. It's the arse beeping at you that's being impatient. Don't let those odd silly events dent your confidence - you have as much right to be there as they do.
Indeed, would they beep a milk float, driven street sweeper or drain clearing truck?

Of course not, they just think they can bully a cyclist. Show them they can't by standing your ground.

And remember they've broken the law. In law a vehicles horn is an "audible means of warning of approach", nothing else. Using it when stationary to tell someone to get out of the way is an offence.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
Ah... one thing your replies have helped me realise is that I'm not downshifting gears as I come to a stop at lights, so I'm trying to start off in a high gear (duh!). Will try this. Otherwise I do lead with the right leg, setting the pedal to ~1pm ,and pushing off with my left foot at the same time. I need to control the wobbling just after I set off though.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
If anyone beeps at me and i know they are in the wrong i give them my well practised bad ass stare. It's not dissimilar to the glower that has maintained a happy marriage for 45 years! All you married guys know where i am at with this.

JanksDnB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2021
I stand up when leaving lights usually, and always try to drop gears before a stop

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I agree with what has already been said. On my Motus I change to a lower gear in preparation, pedals at 1 or 2 o'clock and raise the assistance level to make sure I get loads of power once I have started moving.
Agree about ignorant drivers at any time not just traffic lights. Don't forget, at many lights these days the cycle lane goes right across the full carriageway and you are entitled to be there in front of cars. In fact, if a motor vehicle encroaches on that area, the driver is committing an offence.

On the topic of ignorant drivers, the other day, while on holiday, we had to cross a very busy road with our bikes. We waited patiently and was quite upset when a van driver pulled up alongside us. Thought to myself, bang goes our chance of getting acroos for a while as he will grab the opportunity. I looked up at him and he held his hand up, then waived us on, then as we started to move drove out slowly alongside us and shielded us all the way across. Guess he must have been a cyclist as well.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
The main trick - as mentioned above - it to think ahead and change down as you approach. I normally try to be in 2nd or 3rd gear at the lights.
You could also bump up the pedal assists power if you are on an ebike that has a setting for this.

Reactions: FatBob

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
On the topic of ignorant drivers, the other day, while on holiday, we had to cross a very busy road with our bikes. We waited patiently and was quite upset when a van driver pulled up alongside us. Thought to myself, bang goes our chance of getting acroos for a while as he will grab the opportunity. I looked up at him and he held his hand up, then waived us on, then as we started to move drove out slowly alongside us and shielded us all the way across. Guess he must have been a cyclist as well.
Great! Faith in humanity restored.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have a non-ebike or ebike without a throttle are there any tips on improving how to move off from a standstill at traffic lights? Even when on my old MTB years ago I always have struggled getting a good start moving off at traffic lights. As well as poor acceleration, I wobble quite a bit. Yesterday I ended up getting bleeped at by a driver behind me because I'm too slow. I have been practising in a car park (with the local kids taking the p*** out of me :() but no real progress. I don't use cleats, just ordinary trainers and boots.

Any constructive tips on how to improve?
Give said driver the bird and then tell him to be bloody patient, the car horn is to warn of danger NOT to harass or intimidate vulnerable road users. As flecc has said they have committed and offence under the Highway code act.

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Perhaps it is time for a reminder of that old gag.

Q: How do you measure the speed of light?
A: It's the time taken between the traffic lights turning green and the driver behind hooting.

Reactions: JanksDnB

WavyDavy

Apr 7, 2019
Watch the other lights and anticipate the change. Most drivers don't start doing anything until the lights are green. If it's safe start on red and amber you can be half way across before the drivers get going. Just don't knock down any pedestrians !!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Watch the other lights and anticipate the change. Most drivers don't start doing anything until the lights are green. If it's safe start on red and amber you can be half way across before the drivers get going. Just don't knock down any pedestrians !!
There's a reason most drivers don't do anything until the green light shows, crossing the stop line on red or amber is an offence.
Whilst it's laudable that you watch out for pedestrians you do run the risk of being wiped out by an amber gambler as you enter the junction before you should.

MichaelM

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2020
What an ass, beeping at a cyclist trying to get moving. Needs a punch in the cake hole. And I'm a pacifist.

I have been caught out of course, finding myself in top gear, but if I'm likely to need a quick get away I pick a middling one beforehand and press the + button a couple of times in readiness. The Cube takes off quite nicely in Sport or Turbo mode. I'm sure the torque sensor helps, I never notice any delay.

Main thing is to look twice both ways. Too much red light jumping.

Reactions: mike killay

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
I have been caught out of course, finding myself in top gear, but if I'm likely to need a quick get away I pick a middling one beforehand and press the + button a couple of times in readiness. The Cube takes off quite nicely in Sport or Turbo mode. I'm sure the torque sensor helps, I never notice any delay.

Main thing is to look twice both ways. Too much red light jumping.
I'll remember this rule of thumb. I have only a cadence sensor so a couple of turns are required before motor kicks in. The closest to a throttle is the walk assist which provides a little kick but there's a delay after pushing the button and trying to time it to the lights, vehicle(s) in front and pedal at the same time is pretty difficult.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I take the prime at lights and junctions and will sit in the middle, most are fairly patient but there's always one morton.
As others have said remember and get into the habit of selecting a very low gear before stopping.

Around my way most drivers haven't a clue about the cycle box in front of lights, most think if no cyclist is in front they have the right to park in it. They either haven't a clue or or ignore the solid white line proceeding it which is unlawful, unlike most of Europe we don't have enforcement on the road at all unless one is stopped by an unmarked car.

JayDG

May 10, 2021
nr Allenheads
Ah... one thing your replies have helped me realise is that I'm not downshifting gears as I come to a stop at lights, so I'm trying to start off in a high gear (duh!). Will try this. Otherwise I do lead with the right leg, setting the pedal to ~1pm ,and pushing off with my left foot at the same time. I need to control the wobbling just after I set off though.
I have to remember to do this when I come home, as it's downhill, so I don't need to. But if I forget, it's impossible to set off back uphill - I suppose it will become habit eventually.