Mudguards rubbing

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
There must be a secret to setting up mudguards so that they don't rub on the tyre everytime you hit a bump. I have grown quite adept at reaching round on my Torq and pulling the rear mudguard back into place, but it is annoying. I have tried tightening screws to no avail.

Ideas welcome.

Django

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I've added a bracket from the rear of the mudguard fastening to the plate that holds the reflector:

You can read the whole of the story on my site here on how to do it. The paragraph by the third photo applies, and in the text above you'll see where you can get a bracket.

Last edited:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Flecc, as so often before I am indebted to you for your excellent advice. It really is greatly appreciated.

Off to the DIY store I go.

Django

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Mudguard Noise

There must be a secret to setting up mudguards so that they don't rub on the tyre everytime you hit a bump. I have grown quite adept at reaching round on my Torq and pulling the rear mudguard back into place, but it is annoying. I have tried tightening screws to no avail.

Ideas welcome.

Django
Hi Django:
I don't want to 'rain on your parade' if you find Flecc's solution ideal.
You did not say whether your 'guards were those silly apologies supplied by eZee or full mudguards subsequently fitted.
I have fitted full mudguards and it is the front one that is annoying. I am more than a bit deaf so perhaps I am oblivious to the rattling rear one.
The problem is:
1.The size of the tyres - even the biggest (widest) guards provide very little clearance.
2. The 'knobliness' of the tyres - the vibrations cause the fixing, where the stay joins the guard, to catch on those knobs - producing a noise like to card running on the spokes referred to in another thread on this Forum.
3. The fact that the front forks are such a hard ride. No flex or softening of the bumps as in the case of front suspension fitted to the Sprint.

Perhaps Schwalbe Marathon Tyres will cure more than punctures! :(
Peter

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Peter,

I have the full mudguards that came as standard and the front causes no problems for me.

Before going to the DIY shop, I had a close look at the rear and thought to try a less elegant yet quicker solution first. See the picture and notice the blue cable ties towards the bottom of the rack adding extra rigidity to the mudguard mounting rods by using the rack for support. It works a treat. When (if) I find the time, I will do the job properly as described by Flecc.

Torq.JPG

Django

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
can you fit the newer mugduards to an older torq ? I have the short ones which are not much cop in the wet.

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My site link that's just below the photo in my above answer to the problem is on just that Jed. All you need is a new front mudguard and the old front one makes the necessary forward extension at the rear.

Here's the link again.

You may also be able to get the newer pair from 50cycles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Django, that's a good quick solution, I'm all for speed and ease when problem solving. :)

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Django, I ftted cable ties as a "tempory" solution when I first got the bike, nine months later they're still doing the job and I now consider them permanent. I also use cable ties to secure a mini-pump under the rack, tyre levers under the saddle and even to secure cables sometimes.

Where did you get that rear light? I've been looking for something similar for ages with no joy.

Ian.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi Ian,

Cable ties are a great invention - no question about it.

The rear light came as standard.

Cheers,

Django

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Interesting, Ian. I think a new thread is in order.

Django