Multi-mode commuter car replacement

tomartinh

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2019
I currently work from home mostly and travel into the city once or twice a week (1.5-2hr commute by car and tube) and have decided to do away with my car (we will still have my partners car) for green/fitness/cost reasons. Like many males I have probably over-researched the options (classic procrastinator) and looking and two possibilities;

Brompton Electric:
- compact fold, easy to take into meetings, coffee shops, etc.
- known entity (I have a regular Brompton), although they don't seem to offer a rear rack for the electric version which I find useful.
- early day teething problems, judging by a number of comments.
- not sure if adding an e-drive capability to an existing bike design is a good idea especially having an "external battery"

Gocycle GX:
- good fold, better than G3/GS but not as compact as Brompton, not sure if its as easy to take with you into meetings, etc.
- e-bike design from the ground up (I am a sucker for over engineered solutions, as I'm often a victim of design fixation myself)
- more expensive once you add essentials (lights, mudguards, pannier)
- better for regular maintenance (punctures, etc.), clean drive, etc.
- better ride than Brompton (bigger wheels, frame, etc.)?

I did also consider the Tern Vektron with its crank drive, carrying capacity, etc. but when I actually saw it in the flesh it was clearly to big for my multi-modal needs in getting on and off trains, up and down station steps, etc.

I have had a couple of brief test rides of both the Boston Electric and the Gocycle ride seems better. Has anyone had experience with both of these and willing to share experiences and/or debunk any criticisms?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I haven't any experience of them, but there are third party conversion kits for the Brompton that may suit better than Brompton's own electric bike. (You've probably seen and ruled them out already, but just in case ...)

tomartinh

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2019
I haven't any experience of them, but there are third party conversion kits for the Brompton that may suit better than Brompton's own electric bike. (You've probably seen and ruled them out already, but just in case ...)
Yes, I looked at a couple, of them I favoured the ARCC e-pod but decided whilst I have sufficient knowledge to understand the theoretical knowledge of how they work, I'm a complete klutz when it comes to doing my own maintenance (beyond puncture repair).

So with that in mind I decided to focus on manufacturer provided bikes, so that I can rely on local service centre's for maintenance, especially as it will be a key part of my transport capability.