My 905se is out of control!

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Hi David/Doug

I've got another problem I'm afraid... My bike (905se Sport) has been acting very strangely today. I last rode it on Wednesday, and it was fine. However, the following has happened today:

When I first rode the bike this morning, the motor started after a few pedal revolutions as normal - however, it would not stop after this, no matter what I did - stopped pedaling, brakes, no throttle - the wheel still wanted to spin (and shoot me over the giveway into the main road, incidentally). The only way I could get the motor to stop was by hitting the main red power switch.

The problem then developed half-way through my journey, so that the motor refused to start at all, even when I started pedaling. This time, I found that toggling the green derestrict button caused the motor to activate again, and then I was in the same situation as before - the motor would not stop after that unless I turned off the main power.

I have just got to work, and did a bit more testing to help diagnose the problem, with the bike on the stand, back wheel lifted just off the floor. Starting with all power turned off...
Turn power on - motor is off, as it should be.
Twist throttle - nothing happens - motor should have activated.
Turn pedals a few revolutions - still no motor.
Toggle green derestrict button - wheel starts spinning, won't stop.
Depress right (front) brake lever - motor cuts out, back wheel slows down.
Release right brake lever - motor reactivates.
Depress left (back) brake lever - motor cuts out, back wheel stops.
Release left brake lever - motor reactivates.
(This is all with no pedalling, and no throttle).

I also found that if I fiddle a bit with the cables around the throttle area, sometimes the wheel will suddenly start spinning. This is all a bit dangerous, as it is a little unpredictable...

Do you have any ideas of what I can look at/check to fix the problem? The only thing I have done recently is change the handlebar stem (on Friday), and I removed the left brake & derestrict button to do this, so I could thread the handlebar through the loop on the stem. Is it possible I've desturbed any wiring by doing this that would cause the symptoms listed above?

Thanks,

Howard

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
A bit more information:

I found that when I wiggle the cable going into the throttle, I can get the throttle working sometimes - or sometimes the motor starts on it's own when I wiggle this cable. It looks like it is definitely a loose/broken connection in the throttle - it could well be that one of the hall effect sensor connections has broken?

Howard

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
New throttle not working...

Hi Doug

Thanks very much for sending that new throttle so quickly (it arrived today) - but I'm afraid that it doesn't work.

I connected the new throttle up this evening - I noted which connector went where, and noted that the connectors can only be connected one way round, so in theory it is not possible to connect them the wrong way. However, once I had connected the new throttle, I turned the power on with the key, but then when toggling the red power button on the throttle there were no lights and no power.

After this I had a closer look at the connections (I noted them carefully before removing the old throttle), and was alarmed to realise that the new throttle is actually wired up differently to the old one. Please see attached pictures that show this - the wires are actually back to front on two of the connectors that go to the controller (the green/black pair and the yellow/brown pair). I straight away disconnected the new throttle and replaced the old one - the power lights came on OK still with the old throttle, and the motor kicked in OK in pedelec mode.

I then noticed that you can reverse the wires on the connector blocks on the controller side (the pins can be removed from the connector and put back in the other way round), so I swapped the wires on the connectors that connected to the green/black and yellow/brown connectors, so that the wire colours from the new throttle connected to the same wires on the controller side as the old throttle. However, I still got no power lights on the new throttle and no power. I then put everything back as it was and put the old throttle back on. I still got power lights and the motor kicks in pedal-assist mode, so everything still looks healthy - apart from the throttle not working.

I'm sorry if I have damaged the new throttle somehow - but why on earth are the wires connected on the connector blocks the other way round than with the old throtte?!!! I assumed that the throttle was a direct replacement for the old one. If I had realised that it was actually wired up differently, I would never even have connected it for fear of damaging the throttle or controller...

I am not sure what to do now. Obviously I'm very frustrated that I have had the bike for 5 weeks now, and it has only been working/ridable for 3 weeks of this due to issues I have had with the handlebar locking mechanism and throttle! I really do appreciate how responsive you (and Mike at ETS London) have been in addressing the problems I have had, but it is still incredibly frustrating. It's possible that if you send me another throttle and it is still wired up differently to the original, that it will work if I swap the wires around on the controller side first. However, I would be very worried about damaging the controller! Are the new throttles actually to go with me Wisper, or is there a different version available?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions for getting me up and running!

Thanks,

Howard

Attachments

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Throttle

Hi Howard

Has the problem been sorted yet? Sorry I have been away at exhibitions, I am home now for two weeks and will be away at IFMA and Interbike from then for two weeks so will be away from the forum again.

I know Doug is dealing with you but I obviously have an interest in making certain it is sorted out ASAP.

Best regards David

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Hi David
Doug sent me an email yesterday, that I think you were copied on? The situation is that Doug is going to arrange to have my bike collected either later this week or early next week, and try to sort it out at New Milton.
Cheers,
Howard

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Problem

Hi Howard, yes I have seen the email now.

We will get the bike back to you as good as new or give you a new one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards David

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Update?

Hi Doug/David
Please can you let me know if you are still planning to arrange collection of my bike early this week?
Thanks,
Howard

Advertisers