My E-bike experience

Ed63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Hi everyone my name is Edgar Gonzalez and l will like to share my experience with the e-bikes. l have been riding bicycles since l was very young, l do remember very well my first tricycle and l probably was around 5/6 years old. Ever since l been riding bikes, after that a few years later l have a slightly bigger bike with stabilisers, which they didn't last long on my bike as l did learn to keep my balance within few hours. I have always ride them, the sense of freedom l feel when riding then is amazing, l can go every where l want. I grow up and they have always been my mains of transportation, even now at my 54 years old, that been said l have been riding bikes for at least 45 years, just a little bit experience about them. I have been through some of them, some good some other not so good. As previously mentioned at my age, riding 12 miles at least 5 days a week, 6 miles each way to work regardless weather and time of the year. In winter l just wrap myself up on thermals and water proofs. Plenty lights, it is so than l have been call in some occasions Christmas tree by some drivers haha. But as long drives can see me for far away it doesn't bother me, as l have been knocked down and miss some day at work cause ankle soft tissue injury. Any way going back to the fact than l'm getting old and apart cycling to work which takes me 30 min about, l still go to do some workout with weights for another 40 minutes. So l fund about the electric bikes, start doing my research and every where all l could find was GREAT, how helpful they are for people with joint problems, mainly knees. I fund a local dealer or stoke of the one l finally decided to buy, not a cheap one £1800, and after all the wonders l find out it suppose it does l thought, why not? Considering how much l would pain in public transport per month, a bit extra in maintenance and services, plus the benefits of health, it was in theory better or at least worth it. So got full of joy my e-bike one afternoon, day after went for a 20 miles ride, great feeling and help from the bike, l loved it as l could decide how much effort l was putting on the peddling, as promised it was keeping me at at least 12 miles per hour. But as l said just 20 mile, after that the bike started to feel bubbling, l did slow down and knowing about bike l thought “spokes?” Yeap l was right, the most of them loss, not a very good impression for a first ride l should say. Manage to get back home and take the bike to the stoke a week later, meaning l have to use my old hybrid for a week in which l got knocked down and then use public transport. So much of saving ££. Got the e-bike back, I did use it for a few weeks and l have to take it back as was due for service and apart l was having problems with the gears. This time the bike been for about 3 week, cassette, rear derailleur, cables and shifters got changed. So I did collect the bike still it did take a couple more returns to the chop until the bike was fully functional again. My hybrid was getting check and fixed after my accident therefore more public transport ££££. Second service came, similar problem, cassette, cables. I do understand than the amount of miles per week is quite a bit and chain need to be chance. But here is where l do differ in opinion, as l have mentioned l have always go to work in a bike, l did have a mountain bike for 10 years with a good chain cleaning and maintenance l did NEVER did chance cassette etc,etc etc. My now days hybrid, half of the price, which I have been using for longer time than my ex e-bike as l have it for 8 months before l got the electric one, still working with not a problem or parts changed, nearly two years with it. Still running same road that the e-bike with out a problem. In the 10 months l have been using the e-bike l went through, 2 cassettes, 4 chains, the rack than holds the battery did brake, causing to the rack to slide back and pull the and tear the cables on my way to work, having to tie the battery rack with a lace to the saddle post in order to get to work with out battery and slowly, to avoid the rack to fall again, so no 20 minutes as l use to do in that back, instead 50, causing me delay to get to work, and as operating theatres worker in a hospital is not good at all. The last thing which was the last nail on the coffin, l found l crack on the back rim when l was cleaning the chain. In the 10 month than that bike did belong to me l probably did use it for 7/8 or less months, as each time than it been on repair it did take between 2/3 week and that was at least ¾ times back to the shop. I did sale it for less than a half of the price. So it was a extremely expensive bad experience, that l hope no one will incur. If you like me r a heavy commuter if l could say, just get a normal bike as you will be very disappointed. If your intentions are to do just summer rides one day on the weekend, go for it, but all you will need is a cheap e-bike as it will give you the same results than a expensive one. What it is more disappointing is the fact than l got in touch with the bike factory inquiring how could l access their testimonials web site, as l believe everyone deserve the truth, not just the GREAT comments there and l never got an answer from them in 4 weeks. So l hope my experience will be of some help on your decision taking on buying a e-bike. Thanks for your kind attention to my humble review

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Sounds like an interesting read, but cant get that far without any paragraphs....
I do apologise but grammar hasn't ever been my best But if there is anything you would like to ask, just tell me. Basically my experience with e-bikes has been really bad and it has put me off from getting another one

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That's a real rough story Ed, sounds like you were sold a real lemon. However not all e-bikes are the same. Although I don't use it for commuting, I have had over 3500 miles out of my Carrera conversion. I find that doing the conversion oneself helps build a greater knowledge of the bike and an ability to maintain and fault find, should it be needed.
If you were to ask lots of help would be given to help you find a reliable bike suited to your needs. Whatever make you had, it sounds badly put together and it's a shame that it has robbed you of the e-bike grin experience.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I do apologise but grammar hasn't ever been my best But if there is anything you would like to ask, just tell me. Basically my experience with e-bikes has been really bad and it has put me off from getting another one
I have read through it now ;)

Sounds pretty rough. Ive had similar experiences with 2 of my previous e-bikes, although not quite as bad as that.
Even my 3rd one has had its faults, ive had to learn the hard way, but have not given up on getting it right in the end.

E-biking is my present and future way to commute, the thought of permanently going back to the car or public transport does not appeal to me one bit.

If you really want to have an ebike, its worth sticking at and finding the right one...plus a bit of luck might come your way ;)

What bike was it out of interest?

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats good going mind if it had a impluse motor just the rest of it fell to bits lol ;)

• :D
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Thanks Andy Brunonoes and Benjahmin,but at the moment l don't really fancy a e-bite, as you may understand l have been badly desapointed.
l believe you may be right, l should try to comvert one, which is probably l should be done from beginning. But when l start searching for bikes and prices for conversions it did seams to be a good idea to buy one all ready build.
My bike was a freego Martin

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
I'm not stopping my commuting on a bike as l love it the only thing is l'm doing it in a hybrid bike. My experience with the e-bike was a bitter expensive one. As mentioned in the 8 months or so than l ride that bike it has cost me over £1000. Last march should be a year since l got the bike, l stop using it in February as result of the rim cracked. I did buy it on 2 years 0% finance, mean l still have 11 months to pay and the bike it doesn't belong to me anymore .
As Benjahmin mentioned you had put 3500 miles, but in how long? I did put 1750 miles in 8 months. Your bike looks good by the way.
I work most of the time doing quite a lot over time, so my day off is to catch up with the house work and bike cleaning and maintenance,so I unfortunately don't have the time and skills to convert a bike to e-bike.
So all this it's what it has put me off of them, still if l would think about getting another, it will be around this time next year, when l finish to pay the previous one
By then l will ask you what your recommendations are for a good one

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That's pretty bad, still having to pay for it for another year when you havent got it.

My latest bike, I have done just under 2000 miles since September. Its a cyclotricity stealth. I couldnt honestly recommend it to anyone who does similar miles, although its been a step up from the previous 2 I had. The electrics have held up very well, despite having the motor wheel replaced after a couple of months, but as I have learnt, the general parts dont seem to be able to cope with the bashing it gets from doing 30 miles a day.

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Yeap Andy it's bad that l have to pay still but it's done.
I suppose and l'm just assuming as l have just try one e-bike, that regardless the quality of the rest of the part, such rims, frames etc, the stress of of long distance riding + the speed, as my minimum was 12 up the hill, are not made to stand such a hard work yet. I just wonder how a mountain e-bike will resist? End of the day all the parts are made for a standard bike, no a high speed bike, if l should say. There is more stress cause the speed and the weight of the bike, when a regular bike weights between 9-11 klg an e-bike could be at least 21 klg
I will check the bike you have mentioned regardless that l'm going to need to wait to get another bike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ed,
Most if not everything that has gone wrong with your bike could have been avoided. The shop should have checked and did up the spokes before delivery. It is important to look after your bike when it is your mean of transport to anticipate and avoid issues with derailleur and cassette.
If you look after the bike yourself then it's easy, you can usually 'hear' oncoming problems - something squeaks or rattles. If not, make arrangements with somebody or a local bike shop to maintain the bike for you.
Every 500 miles, the bike needs to be thoroughly checked. make sure that all the key bolts and nuts are still properly tightened: cranks, stem, rack, wheel nuts. Grease anything that rotates: pedals, ballbearings at the hubs, the chain, and put some more to protect the entry points where water can get inside the bike like around the bottom bracket spindle.
I expect bikes that I sell to commuters to do 2,000+ miles a year. Most of them are fitted with geared hub motors. They are comparatively better suited for the job than crank drive motors.
Depending on your weight, up to 14st, a Bafang SWX motor is best, up to 16st, a mid sized Bafang SWX02 is best, over 16st, a Bafang BPM is best.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My mileage was done over about 2 years and leisure/utility cycling only, so rarely out in the rain.
To be relied upon every day, the basic bike has to be tough. Maybe you're right, a conversion based on a quality mountain bike might be best. Though I would think that the gearing would need changing. For instance my bike has a 48 tooth front ring, which gives me a good top speed.
As Woosh said, the Bafang BPM is a good motor, very strong and tremedous hill climber. Maybe it would be over powered for you but then you could use it on low settings so reducing the strain on the motor.

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Thanks for your advise woosh, l believe the crank drive motors is kind of a problem, the reason why I do think this is, it seams to me than there is some occasion when the assistants of the motor kicks in it does put an extra stress on the chain and cassette. I frequentely could here a crack noise and feel the pedal going down for a few centimetres or inches, hope it does senses.
I did take the bike in regular basis for service or check ups as l haven't the time to do it my self and cause the warranty.
Thanks Benjahmin I will take in consideration your suggestions for the next time, and try the bafang motor if l decide to go back to e-bike.
Apparently cyclotricity is producing a e-bike than can hit 50 mls/hr

D

Deleted member 4366

Now some of what you said makes more sense. That's a lot of problems that you had. I can see why you feel like you do.

You bought a relatively powerful crank-drive bike, that will put probably three or four times as much power through the chain and gears as your non electric bike, so you can't expect those components to last as long.

It's for that reason that I would never recommend a crank-drive bike for commuting, even more so if you can't do your own maintenance and repairs. A bike with a hub-motor takes all the stress out of the drive train, so your chain and gears will last a lot longer than your non-electric bike.

Was the rim that split the same one that had loose spokes? Maybe the guy that repaired it over-tightened the spokes to make sure that they didn't come loose again. It's very unusual to get that fault on a relatively new bike.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi everyone my name is Edgar Gonzalez and l will like to share my experience with the e-bikes. l have been riding bicycles since l was very young, l do remember very well my first tricycle and l probably was around 5/6 years old. Ever since l been riding bikes, after that a few years later l have a slightly bigger bike with stabilisers, which they didn't last long on my bike as l did learn to keep my balance within few hours. I have always ride them, the sense of freedom l feel when riding then is amazing, l can go every where l want. I grow up and they have always been my mains of transportation, even now at my 54 years old, that been said l have been riding bikes for at least 45 years, just a little bit experience about them. I have been through some of them, some good some other not so good. As previously mentioned at my age, riding 12 miles at least 5 days a week, 6 miles each way to work regardless weather and time of the year. In winter l just wrap myself up on thermals and water proofs. Plenty lights, it is so than l have been call in some occasions Christmas tree by some drivers haha. But as long drives can see me for far away it doesn't bother me, as l have been knocked down and miss some day at work cause ankle soft tissue injury. Any way going back to the fact than l'm getting old and apart cycling to work which takes me 30 min about, l still go to do some workout with weights for another 40 minutes. So l fund about the electric bikes, start doing my research and every where all l could find was GREAT, how helpful they are for people with joint problems, mainly knees. I fund a local dealer or stoke of the one l finally decided to buy, not a cheap one £1800, and after all the wonders l find out it suppose it does l thought, why not? Considering how much l would pain in public transport per month, a bit extra in maintenance and services, plus the benefits of health, it was in theory better or at least worth it. So got full of joy my e-bike one afternoon, day after went for a 20 miles ride, great feeling and help from the bike, l loved it as l could decide how much effort l was putting on the peddling, as promised it was keeping me at at least 12 miles per hour. But as l said just 20 mile, after that the bike started to feel bubbling, l did slow down and knowing about bike l thought “spokes?” Yeap l was right, the most of them loss, not a very good impression for a first ride l should say. Manage to get back home and take the bike to the stoke a week later, meaning l have to use my old hybrid for a week in which l got knocked down and then use public transport. So much of saving ££. Got the e-bike back, I did use it for a few weeks and l have to take it back as was due for service and apart l was having problems with the gears. This time the bike been for about 3 week, cassette, rear derailleur, cables and shifters got changed. So I did collect the bike still it did take a couple more returns to the chop until the bike was fully functional again. My hybrid was getting check and fixed after my accident therefore more public transport ££££. Second service came, similar problem, cassette, cables. I do understand than the amount of miles per week is quite a bit and chain need to be chance. But here is where l do differ in opinion, as l have mentioned l have always go to work in a bike, l did have a mountain bike for 10 years with a good chain cleaning and maintenance l did NEVER did chance cassette etc,etc etc. My now days hybrid, half of the price, which I have been using for longer time than my ex e-bike as l have it for 8 months before l got the electric one, still working with not a problem or parts changed, nearly two years with it. Still running same road that the e-bike with out a problem. In the 10 months l have been using the e-bike l went through, 2 cassettes, 4 chains, the rack than holds the battery did brake, causing to the rack to slide back and pull the and tear the cables on my way to work, having to tie the battery rack with a lace to the saddle post in order to get to work with out battery and slowly, to avoid the rack to fall again, so no 20 minutes as l use to do in that back, instead 50, causing me delay to get to work, and as operating theatres worker in a hospital is not good at all. The last thing which was the last nail on the coffin, l found l crack on the back rim when l was cleaning the chain. In the 10 month than that bike did belong to me l probably did use it for 7/8 or less months, as each time than it been on repair it did take between 2/3 week and that was at least ¾ times back to the shop. I did sale it for less than a half of the price. So it was a extremely expensive bad experience, that l hope no one will incur. If you like me r a heavy commuter if l could say, just get a normal bike as you will be very disappointed. If your intentions are to do just summer rides one day on the weekend, go for it, but all you will need is a cheap e-bike as it will give you the same results than a expensive one. What it is more disappointing is the fact than l got in touch with the bike factory inquiring how could l access their testimonials web site, as l believe everyone deserve the truth, not just the GREAT comments there and l never got an answer from them in 4 weeks. So l hope my experience will be of some help on your decision taking on buying a e-bike. Thanks for your kind attention to my humble review
.. That is a sorry tail of shoddy workmanship and product quality and seems to be compounded by inadequate shop servicing.. You deserve better from an 1800 pound ebike. If as I assume you were riding the bike on normal roads then wheel failure , particularly in the first few months if ownership should simply not happen. (I note that sarabee seems to have had a similar problem. ).

Provided you are in a position to verify all that you say has happened, you should complain to the shop in writing , request your money back as the product was clearly not of merchandised quality and be prepared to go to the small claims court. A failure in a wheel on the first ride would be evidence of that. Your complaint has to be with the shop who sold you the goods, not the manufacturer or importer. It is with them that you made a contract .. money for a reliable ebike. If they want to persue the importer , manufacturer that is their right, not yours. Keep it simple.

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Finally back after few problems with my account. I have a call from the manufacturer and the company have give me some compensation. But a l do agree with the fact the bike price should guarantee a better quality item. Since march when l did stop riding that bike l have been riding a normal hybrid, l haven't have any problems with thet bike. I'm riding the same road as is my way to work. No problems with the gears, still shifting like new, l haven't clean the chain and components as frequent than the e-bike. I still believe that ebikes r not good when doing over 48 miles a week, l may be wrong but the one l had has prove me right

destructimo

Jun 15, 2015
Hi Ed,

I have a similar commute, and after lots of reading on here converted my own already decent hard tail mountain bike.

I went for a front hub motor kit for simplicity and it has been excellent and very reliable so far but only 400 odd miles under the wheels of the kit due to not being able to use the bike that much due to having to carry big things into work, but the bike itself is over 20 years old now and all working fine!

I had some initial problems due to a faulty controller but the members here, particularly d8veh were very helpful.

The installation was pretty easy too.

Maybe there is someone local that could help you fit a conversion to your existing bike?

Ed63

Apr 3, 2017
South Shields
Hello destructtimo:

That's great l'm glad u have manage to sort the right bike for u. It's a real shame u haven't have the time to fully enjoy it as u should. At present there is a lot of over time at work so l haven't have the time to do a proper research to convert my pinacle bike. I have a good tip by benjahmin about the bagfan motor which it sounds good to me. I will try later on.
The other thing is my weight loosing I maybe wrong but the lack of assistance makes me put more effort so l have lost a good deal of Which is great. I never been excessively over weighted but l'm back on the weight l was when a was on my early 20's love it.
Hope u will soon get on that bike and enjoy the benefits of it

Regards