My First Electric Bike

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
After following Electric Bikes with great interest for over 2 years I've finally got my hands on one, a medium Pro Connect S no less which arrived on Tuesday.
The box it arrived in was torn and the packaging could be better but fortunately the bike was intact.

I'm 49 and a keen leisure cyclist and regularly do 40+ mile runs and can tackle most hills albeit slowly so my purchase was purely to sample the pleasures of e-biking.
A huge extravagance I know and to justify it I gave up smoking the day I ordered it 7 months ago and I've not touched one since (It's amazing the will power a £2000 purchase gives you).

Was it worth it?
You bet it was, this bike is the Best big boy's toy ever. Did my first conditioning discharge on full power all the way covering 23 miles before the power cut out. Excellent considering it included 2 very steep 250m climbs at 10 mph and virtually all the flat sections at 20mph+.....the most fun I've had in ages. The bikes components are 1st class and the ride quality superb.

Like Aldby I'll write more about it when I've stopped buzzing but suffice to say that my first e bike experience has been everything I'd hoped for.
Looking forward to aldby's review cos if anyone knows a good electric bike John does.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your new bike Kenny, and especially on giving up smoking. With that and the cycling your fitness will be greatly improved and your future bank balance will share in that health, given the cost of cigarettes now.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Thanks Flecc, You were instrumental in me catching the cycling bug when I joined this forum over 2 years ago and my fitness and general well being has certainly improved. The smoking was something I thought I'd never have the willpower to beat, having failed many times in the past, but I'm finally beginning to believe Ive beaten it for good this time and it's a good feeling.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure you've cracked it after 7 months Kenny. I gave up just as suddenly 23 years ago after a 60 a day habit, and well short of 6 months the desire to smoke had completely gone.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm sure you've cracked it after 7 months Kenny. I gave up just as suddenly 23 years ago after a 60 a day habit, and well short of 6 months the desire to smoke had completely gone.
Crikey - 60 a day would buy you a new e-bike every three months at today's prices. If you'd still been doing that you probably wouldn't be needing one by now though.

Rog.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You must of conditioned your lungs!
Crikey - 60 a day would buy you a new e-bike every three months at today's prices. If you'd still been doing that you probably wouldn't be needing one by now though.

Rog.
Probably not, though I'd smoked at that rate for the last 25 years when I gave up at 50, and had smoked since I was 12. I suppose many smoking at that rate would have been crippled by then, but with plenty of cycling and walking I was still fit enough to recover from it.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Probably not, though I'd smoked at that rate for the last 25 years when I gave up at 50, and had smoked since I was 12. I suppose many smoking at that rate would have been crippled by then, but with plenty of cycling and walking I was still fit enough to recover from it.
A sobering thought, and completely off topic, so I'll keep it short - I lost two relatives (including my mother) and two close friends - husband and wife. They all enjoyed good health until just past 60, and that's when it got them.

Rog.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear that Rog. I'm 73 now and in good health with excellent fitness for my age, so I hope to do like the rest of my family and make around 90. My smoker father did that ok.

Actually I have a target to make 92, since that will mean for very year of work I did I will have had a year of retirement. That should give government types a heart attack, the thought of funding that sort of retirement! :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Sorry to hear that Rog. I'm 73 now and in good health with excellent fitness for my age, so I hope to do like the rest of my family and make around 90. My smoker father did that ok.

Actually I have a target to make 92, since that will mean for very year of work I did I will have had a year of retirement. That should give government types a heart attack, the thought of funding that sort of retirement! :D
Great plan Flecc. We're relying on you to help us out when it all goes 'orribly wrong. I reckon you'll make it too.:)

Kenny - that bike sounds bl@*dy brilliant. The £2k is a bit a killer but what a cracking way to finance it. It's true as well these electric bikes are great "toys" and it's not widely appeciated just how much fun and enjoyment you can get. All the best.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Cheers Barnowl

Completed my 3rd battery conditioning discharge this morning. Did 25 miles on full power setting on mainly flat roads and a couple of small hills. Still very impressed with the bike. It's very good on busy roads, which I usually avoid, because you are not far off the pace of the traffic flow which feels much safer.

This thread was nearly turning into a smoking discussion, I'm not anti-smoking but if anyone's encouraged to give up I'd be well pleased (doing my bit for the countries health) :)