My introduction

ploddermac

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2019
Hello to all on the pedelec forum. Until i spoke to a worker at E-Bikes.co.uk, i did not know of your existence.
So about me and my wife. We are booth now in our middle 60`s and have for some time enjoyed cycling, not too far mainly local but as we became older my wife began to fine peddling an ordinary bike difficult so about 4 years ago we brought Freego electric cycles. My wife had a wren and i had an eagle. apart form local cycling we used them over on the Wales coastal pathway.
Over two years ago , i fell and broke my hip which was plated and i have progressed well. Both of us, in that time have not used our bikes. Prior to the injury we had our bikes serviced at our local Freego agent and since then not used the cycles at all. So now feeling able to cycle again we got our e-bikes out, dusted them down and re-oiled where necessary. My wives bike is good to go but not mine. Whilst pedalling i noticed the e-motor was not assisting but was ok with the throttle. upon examination i found the problem, the service agent/mechanic had cut the cabling on the crank sensor, disabling it, i do not know why, and also cut some cables on the ecu unit. That agent is no longer in business so now i have to rectify that damage.
Any way, that`s enough about me and my problems, so i now look forward to being part of this forum and will call to the knowledge base on this forum, or else its a new e-cycle.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
hi welcome to the site
2 x intro posts you are keen

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With cut wires it is possible in some cases to simply solder them together and insulate with heat shrink. The PAS sensor can simply be replaced if it is a generic 3 wire type.

ploddermac

May 2, 2019
Hi, Many thanks to vfr400 for a prompt reply. Having purchased from Ebay a new crank sensor as shown below. i tried it on my freego cycle. once connected and ensuring the sequence of cabling was correct i powered the cycle. I tried the throttle first which continued to work OK, and powered the rear wheel. Upon peddling the rear wheel was not powered at all. I ensured the sensor was close to the sensor plate etc. but the new sensor stubbornly refused to work.
So as my wife has a freego wren with the same electrics, i tried the new sensor on her cycle. The throttle was OK but still no power when peddling. As there is no way to check the continuity of the sensor i purchased another from E-Bikes and that was the same on both cycles. So, i presume the sensor has to be one and the same as what existed before.
So i have attached a picture of the old sensor. Unfortunately it does not seem clear so i will try to describe it. The sensor is marked with a red ring and is black in colour. There is one screw to hold it onto the sensor attachment plate, (not shown). As can bee seen from the pic.4 where the wires were cut, these were attached at the rear of the sensor which then had a protruding length of about 1/4" in length. (if looking closely the protrusion can be seen) .
I have worked through the entire wiring loom of my cycle and there no other cut/damaged wires. The sensors for both brake levers work correctly as does the main control unit on the handlebar.
So it seems that for some reason the generic crank sensor will not work on either of the our cycles. So far i have tried to find another sensor of the same description as my old one without any luck.
So my ask here on the forum is, does anyone know where i can purchase a crank sensor that is like my old one. As many of you will know Freego as a company do not exist any more having gone into liquidation in January and everything has been auctioned.
Without the correct sensor my cycle is just throttle controlled cycle and no longer a pedelec.

I am not now concerned about the cut wires, It seems they have no connection on the cycle at all and are the same on my wives wren.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generic sensors are directional so the magnet disc needs to pass the sensor in the correct direction, if it doesn't work forwards try back peddling if it works then you have to flip the magnet disc fo the magnet poles to be sensed.

Although you are capable I'm sure, the pin outs have to match usually with wire colour order (though China wire colours aren't always logical) or correct pin to pin function. Also disc to magnet need to be inline when passing and about 1mm gapping.

Last edited:

ploddermac

May 2, 2019
Hi Nealh, I am aware that the magnetic sensor plate is directional, there are arrows on the plastic sensor plate showing what is required in position. Upon trying the new sensor neither back peddling or forward peddling worked with the new sensor on either cycle! I tried this procedure on both cycles using both the old and new sensor plates that were supplied. As far as the working sensor on my wives cycle, it was not tried on my cycle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try ebikes direct for spares they may be able to help.