My latest and most difficult conversion Trek Top Fuel 9.9 Carbon.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Q128 kit and controller was about £350
BBSHD and battery was about £1200
Front disc £33
Machining about £150?
Labour £0

I don't think you can count the cost of the tracker, alarm and other accessories.

I had some servicing done on my Transit, so it was a case of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I never charge for my labour and I never ask for anything in return, but no matter how much I refuse, people sometimes insist. I've had a few bottles of wine and beer over the years. This week I got a bottle of whiskey from a forum member after fixing her bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tip1

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2015
Sounds a very interesting build :)

I guess its Kevan's of SVM fame?

I used to have an RS Turbo tuned there in the early 2000's :)

Ricky

D

Deleted member 4366

That's him. there's a rather nice electric bike shop at SVM now. Check it out if you're still in the area.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Coming at this from a different angle. Firstly, I can appreciate / admire the effort to convert the Trek. There's many carbon bikes of this spec around (i used to own one, full suss at 23lbs). However, and just imho, not the frame / spec to build on, in terms of what you've ended up with. It's a bit of a frankenstein creation (love it or hate it) with limited ability in terms of the bike being unbalanced. A front wheel hub would certainly not lend itself to off road mtbing, so not sure where it would excel.

Just saying, but again admire anyone who wants to push boundaries.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love this bike. Maybe it's also an age / personal thing. I love the performance of my friends Nissan GTR, but wouldn't buy one as hate tacky interior and boy racers at lights.

Last edited:

Rick JW

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2020
Really interesting to read this thread. I have been looking to convert a cube stereo 160 carbon frame. The best advice received was to get a cheap bike and convert that, not very helpful. Obviously it can be done! Can anyone in the thread offer advice/help please?
Rick

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Really interesting to read this thread. I have been looking to convert a cube stereo 160 carbon frame. The best advice received was to get a cheap bike and convert that, not very helpful. Obviously it can be done! Can anyone in the thread offer advice/help please?
Rick
I did that conversion. It made sense because the owner wanted it to show off. It has very little practical use.

Here's my advice/help that you asked for. If you want a bike for proper off-road use, buy one with a Bosch, Yamaha or Shimano motor. If you want a bike for commuting, touring or riding around, get a bike with a geared hub-motor unless you want to go very fast, in which case get an old MTB and fit a BBSHD.

Where and how would you fit a battery on a carbon Cube Stereo 160?

I guess you find this advice not very helpful too! I'm not sure why I wasted my time.

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Rick
Rick, it's unclear whether you're a tinkerer or an end user (or maybe both).

If you love an engineering challenge, you're in no rush and you enjoy taking a gamble then VFR's description of his/ her build tells you everything you need to know. There's no instruction manual with these kits, you've just gotta use your noggin and get your hands dirty.

If however you want to get "electrified" as easily as possible then there are far easier ways to do it.

Whichever route you choose- good luck and make sure you keep us updated with a build report and pictures....

Advertisers