My motor may be faulty - advice please.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
The last time I had a problem with my motor I had some helpful advice that saved me money so you never know.

I have two (nearly) identical eBikes with identical parts and the other day one of them stopped working, I'd been riding it the day before with no problems.
So this was an easy test,
try the faulty motor on my other bike - it didn't work
try the good motor on the first bike - it worked.
This obviously points to the motor being faulty but I've learned by now that this might not be the case.

Any ideas I can try or does it sound faulty?

Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you are on the right track.
Question: how many pins you have on the motor connector? 3 or 9-pin connector?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With your faulty motor/bike disconnect the motor cable and turn the wheel fwd by hand is it free, like wise rwd you should feel some slight resistance. If it freewheels easily fwd then there is no phase wire short, if it doesn't then you have phase wire short caused by a damaged motor cable or coil/winding wire a drift.

Depending on the result the issue might otherwise be a hall sensor fault if you have 8 or 9 motor wires, you can test for faulty halls with a volt meter. Rather then explain it all for god knows how many times now on the forum here is a link to explain testing.

Reactions: aardvark5

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
You gave me this advice a few months ago and it saved me money. It freewheels forwards and freewheels a little bit backwards so sounds like the sensor which I will read up on.

Thanks

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I've read the PDF and there is no way I can do that testing because my controller/motor/motor cable are all push in plugs and I can't get to them with a tester.
It looks like I'll have to buy a new one.

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you describe the fault with your motor. Does it not run at all? Does it make a whirring noise, click or nothing at all? How did it fail? Did it pack up while going up a steep hill, when you left it overnight, when you went over a bump or what?

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
No noises, completely dead.
I used it the day before for commuting as usual and my last 0.5 mile is flat.
Swapping front motors with my other bike produced the same results.
I have ordered another one but if I can get this working it would be great.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You still haven't made it clear how it packed up. Did it stop while you were riding it?

A motor can't randomly kill itself, especially when parked up overnight. Something must have killed it. When we know what killed it, we can take a good guess at what's wrong with it.

Did you drop the bike in the garage or anything like that?

Please answer the questions.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
You still haven't made it clear how it packed up. Did it stop while you were riding it?

A motor can't randomly kill itself, especially when parked up overnight. Something must have killed it. When we know what killed it, we can take a good guess at what's wrong with it.

Did you drop the bike in the garage or anything like that?

Please answer the questions.
Working up until I got off my bike by my garage

Just put it in the garage as normal

I did not drop it, just wheeled it into the garage and put it on charge like I have done the last six years.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can test via Julet's if you have a spare or old cable to the controller , you simply cut off the connector at the controller end and bare the wires to see the colours for testing.

Last edited: