My New Twist has arrived

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
:D Just accepted receipt of my brand new Giant Twist Comfort GTS Elelctric bike. First impressions - 'its'a vari nice'r '(in an monty python french accent).

Everything on it looks new and clean, however spotted a couple of things straight away:-

1. The Charger was loose in the bottom of the packaging, and not even bubble wrapped! I hope it works!
  2. There is a crack in the plastic of the battery case. Any advice on suitable materials for sealing this, can I use silicon sealant?

Any other advice or tips on Twists is more than welcome!!!

John

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Welcome to the club !!

I think Flecc used a soldering iron to repair a battery casing although I'm sure he can shed more light on this.

cheers
Russ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that was a new one that lucky John managed to find, there's probably still one or two around.

Using a clean tipped soldering iron will heal the plastic split John. If its at an edge as it typically is, a strip of outdoor grade black duct tape will seal it also. I've used one of mine for nearly four years with those repairs.

The chargers are physically tough, but the Panasonic ones have given charging trouble. The Metco ones are fine.

Hope you have the years of utterly reliable enjoyment I've had with mine.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks guys, I found a number of sites selling both the Comfort GTS (which I promptly bought one of) and the Lite 2006 models available in the UK, you just have to persevere. It seems that the most effective search criteria was 'Giant Twist' in google.co.uk. I found the Comfort straightaway, but it took a couple of hours to find the Lite.

Flecc, Duct tape - right, I'll get some.

More first impressions..I Notice that this one has the SRAM P5 gears and the front hub is a Nexus dynamo attached to a Lumotec front light (the rear light being an Led). The tyres just say 'only for electric bike' and dont appear to be any particular make, but they do say 'MAX 85Kg', which I hope wont be too much of a problem (me weighing in a tad above that). The rear carrier has 3 elasticated straps over the top of it, I assume they remove somehow, but the manual Ive been sent is the 2001 manual for the 2002 model, which is nothing like it (it talks of 3 gears and rim dynamos!)

I plan to take it for a ride at weekend all being well (if I can resist till then).

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That manual is for the Twist John, they probably didn't write a separate one for the Comfort.

Don't worry about those tyres, they are surprisingly hard wearing and should take your weight ok. I used the rear one for 4000 miles, both solo and heavy trailer towing, before switching it to a Marathon Plus, and it's in the garage with still around 2000 miles in it.

The rear straps were a later addition. Look at the bottom of each side and I think you might find that pushing the square section bit at the bottom allows it to slide down to a point where the slot is wider for it to be removed.

Don't forget the new battery will need to be conditioned to reach full capacity if it's never been charged before. Initially fully charge, then do three or four complete discharge and recharge cycles to condition the cell electrolyte in order to get full capacity. The discharge doesn't have to be to run right out, down to where it just drops to the last red light is plenty.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Don't forget the new battery will need to be conditioned to reach full capacity if it's never been charged before. Initially fully charge, then do three or four complete discharge and recharge cycles to condition the cell electrolyte in order to get full capacity. The discharge doesn't have to be to run right out, down to where it just drops to the last red light is plenty.
Flecc, thats excellent advice, thank you

John

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Congrats on your new bike :)

Im awaiting mine, and eager to use it to shorten the long walks, although with this bitter rain and cold, i dought if the bike will be going anywhere for a little while..
So i was wondering, how wet can it get?
I have been out on a nice warm sunny day, and have got caught in a down pour, i couldnt wait under shelter all day, so had to get back, a little rain at this time of year is unavoidable really.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only time I had damp trouble on the Quando (which I understand you're waiting for) is when I washed it with a gentle hose after riding on a muddy Dorset track. It was still fine after that, but I put it in the car, folded and laid on it's side, before it was fully dry.

After driving back to London it wasn't operating since my carelessness had resulted in water getting into the controller, but a spell in a dry room cleared the trouble.

Otherwise, I do regularly ride in the wet on local trips without any trouble. If ever you do get trouble, just dry it in a warm dry room and report it here. Then I'll advise you on the waterproofing you can apply, but I've only done mine on the Torq, the Quando hasn't needed it.

As yours will have the twistgrip lightswitch, you might like to waterproof that. This link will tell you how to do that easily:

wiring

Last edited:

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
As yours will have the twistgrip lightswitch, you might like to waterproof that. This link will tell you how to do that easily:
wiring
Waterproofing the twistgrip, what a good idea, i will follow your link, when it arrives, just want to be prepared for what i'll need in advance.
I am so glad i found this site, and your site is excellant, you certanly know your stuff! Thankyou

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John

Your new bike has an AXA rear wheel lock. Fisher Leisure are the agents for AXA products and they stock the optional extra heavy duty cable which utilises the same lock and enables fastening to street furniture etc. I use one of these myself with my Twist and it occurred you might like to be able to do the same.

Fisher only sell to the trade, but you can order online for delivery to a specified cycle dealer or order from any cycle shop, they all have Fisher accounts. If you use the link below you'll see the page with your lock and the optional cable:

Fisher Outdoor Leisure Limited: Cycle Locks: Other

Your bank manager is going to hate us! :D

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
The Kryptonite D lock by halfords, is what i'll be useing again (when my Quando arrives of which hope its soon, as I cant leave the house, and missing important appoinments :( ) the lock is quite weighty but has a guarentee, or so it says ...but I was told that someone could use Anti freeze on these kind of locks and break it off...not sure how easy that would be to though.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Ive just seen the new accessory page on 50cycles, look at the size of that Brute D lock ...bet that would put of a would be bike snatcher, something that always concerns me in this area, also the handlebar-mounted rear-view mirror looks a good buy, saves having to keep turning your head round.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The reason for my posting to John is that the Lafree already has a perfect wheel lock and it's easier to use the very strong additional cable for that. That avoids additional weight and two keys, plus adding the security of double locking, both to an object and the wheel stopped from rotation even if that cable was overcome.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks for that Flecc, but Ive already got one now. Ive gone and ordered the Kryptonite Forgetaboudit 1.5m chain. Ive read a lot into the reviews, and cables always get the worst rating. The way I see it, if I owned a £200 bike, then I would probably spend £25 on a bike lock. As I own an £1100 bike, I should be looking to spend about £100 on a bike lock, so I did.

Tell you something, its bloomin heavy though. I cant put it on the bike while riding, I am going to have to wear it over my body.

This review of bike locks helped me in making up my mind The best lock to protect your bike. - By Scott Elder - Slate Magazine

John

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
It might also be useful if you decide on a career in deep-sea diving :D

How much does the lock weigh?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's why I like the AXA lock cable John. Although it's very heavy, it at least avoids the weight of an extra lock as well.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
As I understand it, the chain and lock weigh, ahem, 5.6kgs !!!! :eek: