My thoughts on the Ezee mk2 250 watt kit

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice write-up, thanks. It brought back memories of the many times I've visited Padstow in my boat. One time, we got stuck for weeks because of storms, so I hired a bike for the day, and cycled all round the Camel trail.

I didn't get the it about the pedal sensor clearance. There's normally 5mm of spacers between the bearing holders and the BB shell because the Hollowtech ones fit 68mm and 73mm BBs. You can chuck them toget 5mm space for the magnet disc.Has your one got a 73mm BB, so no spacers?

You can get assistance with infinitely variable speed levels, by splicing in a springless thumb throttle with a two or three position switch to switch between it and the normal throttle. You can put it in any position for constant assist speed just like PAS, and you can change it on the fly. It needs brake cut-offs though. Did you fit any?

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Great website JH. Link is fine.
You certainly made it happen for me by fitting the Ezee kit to my Specialized Hybrid.
I never realised cycling could be so much fun again.
At 67 this year and with a few health issues, I'm now covering 20 - 30 miles most dry days (and a few wet ones) - and thoroughly enjoying it.
Hills and headwinds - bring them on. I've got a giant's hand pushing me.
(on level 2)
Absolutely nothing has made that Ezee motor hesitate - and I'm 100kgs plus!

Reactions: Cyclezee
C

Cyclezee

Nice write up JH and I'm liking your website:)

Can we have bit more Cornish please:D

On a personal note, I'm was sorry to read about the loss of your friend Davey.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I didn't get the it about the pedal sensor clearance. There's normally 5mm of spacers between the bearing holders and the BB shell because the Hollowtech ones fit 68mm and 73mm BBs. You can chuck them toget 5mm space for the magnet disc.Has your one got a 73mm BB, so no spacers?

You can get assistance with infinitely variable speed levels, by splicing in a springless thumb throttle with a two or three position switch to switch between it and the normal throttle. You can put it in any position for constant assist speed just like PAS, and you can change it on the fly. It needs brake cut-offs though. Did you fit any?
Do you know, I hadn't given a thought to the BB size - You're right, it is 73mm: I just checked with the calipers.

Yes, I knocked-up a brake cutoff with a submicro-switch on the front lever; I'll post a picture if I can. The sprung actuating lever fell off the switch, but it works just fine without & is more streamlined, to boot :)

I encapsulated the switch in white silicon after taking the pic. The rod is a piece of tig s/s filler rod, bent to a U & epoxied into 2 shallow grooves dremelled into the brake lever. It now slides gently along the body of the switch & depresses the tit, zackly.

Next project is Definitely the variable-speed assist: Thanks for that.

There's a bonus pic. Of the bike arrived home from a 10 mile (each way) shopping run.

Attachments

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Morning Tony,
Now the weather's thinking of improving a tad, we'll have to get together & buzz off on a trail or 2 down the sharp end.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi John,
Funny you should mention the coloquialisms that oftimes sprinkle my writings - I went through the write-up & took 'em all out so's to look more perfesh'nal :cool: Didn't work, did it?

You'd have liked Davey - everyone did: We used to laugh a lot - Still do in my other, Secret life ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

I like your switch. When I go to China, I'll get a couple of samples of Kevin Fang's (BTN) ready-made ones to see how they fit and work.

Here's a schematic for the throttle. It's much more convenient than you would think, especially when you want to go slowly. You just set a low speed and then use your brakes as the on/off switch. It takes a couple of journeys to get used to it, but it's worth the trouble.

Reactions: jackhandy
C

Cyclezee

Do you know, I hadn't given a thought to the BB size - You're right, it is 73mm: I just checked with the calipers.

Yes, I knocked-up a brake cutoff with a submicro-switch on the front lever; I'll post a picture if I can. The sprung actuating lever fell off the switch, but it works just fine without & is more streamlined, to boot :)

I encapsulated the switch in white silicon after taking the pic.

Next project is Definitely the variable-speed assist: Thanks for that.

There's a bonus pic. Of the bike arrived home from a 10 mile (each way) shopping run.
Hi JH,

I don't know if you have explored the different modes of the console, if have look on this page http://cyclezee.com/ezee-downloads.html for eZee battery gauge console you can download them.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

Ah...
Mode 5 :)
I shall investigate forthwith...

If I'm not back by dark, send help.
Hi JH,

I don't recommend using Mode 5 Cruise Control without brake lever cut offs:eek:

Just realised that you do have brake lever cut offs so there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

Hi John,
Funny you should mention the coloquialisms that oftimes sprinkle my writings - I went through the write-up & took 'em all out so's to look more perfesh'nal :cool: Didn't work, did it?
Put them back JH along with a glossary of terms for the Pictsies;)

P.S. BTW, I'm not a Pict, if you go back a few centuries my ancestry is Flemisho_O

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi JH,

I don't recommend using Mode 5 Cruise Control without brake lever cut offs:eek:
Too late, John. You'll have to send for help, as requested - better now than later. Perhaps it might be worth notifying the Coastguard too.

D

Deleted member 4366

No
Uh..,what's 999 in Cornisho_O
Nothing heard yet. I think he's in trouble.

You've just reminded me of a radio interview with a guy that was trying to promote the Cornish language. The interviewer asked him what the Cornish was for, "I'm going to the Supermarket on my motorbike after turning left at the traffic lights", or something like that. The Cornish guy gave his answer, but the interviewer then said, "Hang on a minute. There can't be Cornish words for traffic lights, motorbike and supermarket because they didn't exist when Cornish was spoken".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suppose no different from the Welsh below where they just made up modern equivalents:

Traffic lights = goleuadau traffig

Motorbike = beic modur

Supermarket = archfarchnad

And a catchy slogan for Tesco in Wales:

Every little helps = Ydych chi erioed wedi ychydig yn helpu

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I'm back:
Had to go to B&Q, so didn't fancy fiddling with settings not knowing if I'd be able to restore the status quo.
Had my sangwidges down at Charlestown (bit breezy) & had a quick buzz up the road in mode 5, but there's no pas with that, so not really what I'm after.

Wot'd make the bike fitty* for me, is to be able to lower the speed at which assist fades out, in each level, without losing the huge low-end grunt & gentle ramp-down of power as speed increases. Does that make sense?

* Pronounced "viddy"; similar in meaning to Zackly (fit-for-purpose?) ;)

You're right, Flecc - modern Cornish is a bit of a joke, really, as the language died out about 250 years ago & they've had to invent everything since. It's only spoken by the bards & such & no-one understands them anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: falmouthtony
C

Cyclezee

Hi JH,

Haven't tried this myself, so I don't know if it will do what you want.

We have some EAF's (eZee Assist Factor) that were for the Mk1 kits and bikes with the old type LED battery gauge. They were connected in place of the throttle and in the case of the bikes to the LED battery gauge, with the kits direct to the controller throttle connection.

They give a variable speed setting and I have seen a couple that were wired together with the throttle.

The photo below shows what they look like, but the ones we have don't have any numbers.
EAF.jpeg

If you want one to play with I can send one FOC.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Looks interesting, John;
I'd like one to play with, thanks.
I owe you - Are you going to Bristol this year? If so, maybe I can give you a spell on the stand.

C

Cyclezee

I will post one tomorrow JH.;)
Not sure about Bristol yet, still need to get the hang of changing gear:rolleyes: