My Tongxin kit bike

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
UPDATE - 19 October 2008 - Fixed it; see new post at the end for details!

UPDATE - 21 February 2008 - the motor is not now working. I believe it is a controller problem but have not been able to investigate. I've also heard reports of others having both motor and controller problems so, as things stand, would not recommend a Tongxin motor

I have now done almost 100 miles with my Tongxin kit powered bike. There has been a bit of interest in these motors so I thought I'd post something on its performance.

The Tongxin motor

The Tongxin motor has particular strengths and weaknesses as a result of its unusual design, which is that instead of internal gears with teeth, it has rollers, which are smaller and quieter but not as strong.

Its biggest strength is that it has very low rolling resistance, enabling the bike to handle virtually the same as a normal un-powered bike. Also it is extremely small and light. It is only about 10cm in diameter and weighs only 2.5kg, which is perhaps half the weight of most commonly used motors. It is also very quiet. Its weakness is that the roller may slip if asked to deliver very high torque.

It has been used in several applications - with some successes and some failures. The best known in the UK is the Nano - a kit produced by Tony Castles for the Brompton and with a generic version for other bikes. This received rave reviews from AtoB magazine. Also well publicised is the Schwinn, which was a failure due to controller problems (using a non-Tongxin controller). There are reports on the internet of people having Tongxin controller problems. There are also rumours that people have had problems with the roller drive slipping. While I have not been able to find any actual examples, I believe that this is a risk if the motor is put in situations where very high torque is demanded.

My objective

I wanted to create the best bike for my commute to and from work. This is a 12.5 mile each way journey across relatively flat, straight roads in Central / West London. I wanted it to be light, quiet, look discreet and give a good combination of speed and economy on my route. One thing I don't need is exceptional hill-climbing ability, as the biggest hill I go up is Holland Park Avenue, which can't be more than 1 in 15 (ie not very steep!), and which even my wife's Powacycle is able to go up at 12+mph.

My design

To achieve this I decided to fit a 260 rpm Tongxin motor - designed to be able to give around 15mph in a 16 inch wheel - to the 700c wheel of my bike. This has the effect of overgearing the motor, to a similar extent to the Suzhou Bafang motor in the classic Torq. I expected to end up with a similar result to the Torq - ie fast but not great on hills. I discussed my plans with Tongxin and they felt it would work. I also came across a chap in Australia on the Endless Sphere forum, who had made the same configuration and was happy with the results.

I can't emphasise enough that this is not a bike designed for use on steep hills. Furthermore I don't use the motor until I've got the bike going (to 5mph+) or use motor without pedalling.

I went for a 36v motor to reduce the current levels - but 24v would have been an option. The bike I am using is a steel-framed, no-suspension Marin city bike which is about 7 years old and on which I have ridden many many unpowered miles. It's a mid-range bike, being quite light with reasonable components, and pleasant to ride. The new version now costs about £300.

Ordering

I bought the kit direct from Tongxin. I found them easy to deal with. The prices were extremely reasonable - £113 to my door for the motor, controller, two throttles and brakes. This included money transfer fee of £21 but it got through customs with no duty or VAT.

Fitting

Unlike many on this forum, I'm not an engineer, have limited experience of making things. I bought a soldering iron off eBay and set to work when the kit had arrived. I had wanted to fit it to the back wheel but there were two problems. Firstly I didn't think it through before having my wheel built and didn't get it dished to accomodate the freewheel. Secondly, I'm not sure that the axle would be long enough for my rear forks. So I put it in the front. This required me to stretch the forks apart slightly, but with a bit of pulling it was ok. My plan was to keep the installation on the bike as minimalist as possible and carry the battery and controller in a rack-bag or pannier - removing when I park. I put everything else together - getting email support from Tongxin on which wire had to go where. I learned to solder, and got the wires tidily arranged so they didn't look too obtrusive.

Performance.

I went for my first short test ride and was highly impressed with the speed I was getting (20-24mph) on the local roads and how the bike felt at those speeds - how the 700c wheels and steel frame gave an exceptionally smooth ride compared to aluminium electric bikes with 26" wheels. On my next ride, the results were also great - but the bike broke down. I thought it was the controller and contacted Tongxin. They asked me to send it back which I did and they sent me a replacement with no quibble. I now realise that there was not actually a controller fault but it was my battery (an SLA I was using for initial test) - so apologies to Tongxin! Unfortunately this led to a delay of a month - but I got it going again about a week ago.

Performance in the last week has been great. It can cruise for mile after mile at 20+mph. With a litte effort 25mph on the flat is possible and 22 can be sustained for a long period. It climbs all my hills at 15+mph. The first day it got me to work in 41 minutes, a full five minutes faster than my Wisper and 14 minutes faster than the Marin without motor. Probably the main reason it performs well is the cycling quality of the actual bike, which is not impaired by the presence of the Tongxin motor. It is so much more pleasant to ride than any electric bike I have ridden, and more efficient. Without the motor I can easily ride the bike at about 16mph on the flat, compared to about 12mph for other hub motor bikes, so the motor doesn't have as much work to do. If I release the throttle when going at speed, the bike carries on going, only dropping speed very gradually due to the much lower resistance of the Tongxin than other hub motors.

Having the motor in the front wheel has actually been fine. It's so light that it doesn't affect the way the bike feels and I don't get any of the hammering often experienced from heavier motors (eg on Ezees and Powabykes).

Verdict
It's a joy to ride. Far, far better than any other electric bike I have ridden. It is ideal for my journey. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone who had similar requirements to me and who is willing to pedal while using the motor. I would not recommend this configuration for anyone who didn't want to pedal much, wanted to use the motor from stationary and who had hills to contend with - although a lower geared Tongxin might still be a good option. Having ridden this bike I can fully understand why AtoB gave 5 stars to the Nano application of the Tongxin in a Brompton folder (whereas beforehand it seemed incomprehensible!)

Is it legal?

No, as it gives assistance at above 15.5mph - like the Torq, Wisper and even others such as the Ezee Liv. It is well within legal power limits so it is only gearing that takes it outside the law. Indeed, in Australia, which is generally reckoned to have more restrictive e-bike laws, but where they are based on power, not speed, it would be legal.

Frank

Last edited:

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Excellent post Frank, very informative too. At one time I was very keen on the tongxin motor too because of it's small size and freewheeling ability. The price direct from tongxin is great and as I already have a 36V battery which I use with my 8Fun motor then for about £150 I could motorise my Marin too. :D

What batteries are you using and what is the range like?

Paul

C

Cyclezee

I fully agree with allotmenteer, excellent post Frank. I'm sold on the idea.
I understand he is using a Lishen li Ion battery from a Wisper as an interim measure.

John

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Interesting post- does your route take in Russel Square/Southampton Row and is the bike black? If so you've been spotted and I claim a £5 reward. Bike looked pretty good- my suspicions aroused by number of cables and small box on rack- rest of power in the single pannier?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice job Frank, and thanks for the very informative posting.

You may not be an engineer by profession, but you've done a very much better job it seems than Schwinn. This is what they were trying to achieve with the Nano motor, a fast sports bike, but oh what a mess they made of it.

Obviously they used the lower geared 190 rpm version since many customers would require more hill climb ability, but it was with the controller that they made their mistakes, perhaps trying to get a quart out of a pint pot and being too ambitious.

They need the right technical advice, so if you fancy a career in the US of A, it might be just an email away! ;)

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Nice job Frank, and thanks for the very informative posting.

You may not be an engineer by profession, but you've done a very much better job it seems than Schwinn. This is what they were trying to achieve with the Nano motor, a fast sports bike, but oh what a mess they made of it.

Obviously they used the lower geared 190 rpm version since many customers would require more hill climb ability, but it was with the controller that they made their mistakes, perhaps trying to get a quart out of a pint pot and being too ambitious.

They need the right technical advice, so if you fancy a career in the US of A, it might be just an email away! ;)
Thanks Flecc,

All I did was copy what Ezee had done with the Torq, which I was able to understand because of your explanation, then stick a few components together, so I think you are being far too kind!

The motor has lots of potential but the hard bit, and where Schwinn failed, is to mitigate its weakness which is the risk of it slipping under high torque. I can get round this easily by choosing not to pedal when I know there is a risk, but of course that won't work in a consumer product. HarryB explained to me that Schwinn tried to use a 'clever' pedal sensor to limit torque at low speeds. Perhaps if they had gone for the far simpler Powabyke approach and made the motor only work at >3mph or thereabouts, AtoB might have given out another 5-star rating!

Frank

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Interesting post- does your route take in Russel Square/Southampton Row and is the bike black? If so you've been spotted and I claim a £5 reward. Bike looked pretty good- my suspicions aroused by number of cables and small box on rack- rest of power in the single pannier?
Afraid not!

I've tried to avoid the 'lunch box and wires' kit-bike look as far as possible. I have two wires which go with the rear brake cable along the underside of the crossbar and round the seat tube. They are then tied together and disappear inside one of my panniers. The wires and panniers are all black. When commuting I always have two panniers so All that the untrained eye would notice would be the 3 or 4 inches from seat tube to rack, and a slightly larger front hub (although the Tongxin does look tiny in a big 700c wheel). When I park, the wires tuck in neatly to the underside of my saddle.

Keep looking - my bike is bronze-coloured, and I go along the Embankment, Trafalgar Sq, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Pk Corner and on!

Frank

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
What batteries are you using and what is the range like?

Paul
I tried it out first with some SLAs that were spares which came with my second hand Powabyke. They packed up after about 5 miles use - possibly due to too high current drain - I don't know.

As John says, I have now borrowed the 13Ah Lithium from my Wisper (while it is in the shop having its spoke fixed). That performs well and gives me the 25 mile range I need. It does show signs of flagging towards the end, so I am tending to go easy on it on my journey home, only pressing the throttle half way and monitoring it by watching the throttle lights, and cutting the throttle altogether on flat stretches / downhills. This only reduces my speed very slightly and I still got home last night in record time.

This is only a temporary measure so I am looking for a new battery. I expect I'll get an NiMH - possibly from Batteryspace (but advice very welcome). Any thoughts I had of building my own pack from cells disappeared when I read Jeremy's post on his battery fire!

Frank

M

mk1

Your bike sounds good Frank. Do you have any photos of it?

Martin

Diana_Tongxin

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2008
Speed can be controlled easily

Is it legal?[/B]
No, as it gives assistance at above 15.5mph - like the Torq, Wisper and even others such as the Ezee Liv. It is well within legal power limits so it is only gearing that takes it outside the law. Indeed, in Australia, which is generally reckoned to have more restrictive e-bike laws, but where they are based on power, not speed, it would be legal.
Thank you,Frank! For your long detailed report and informing me to read here! Good going!
Something should be corrected.I say a little roughly here,and later talk to you!

Speed can be controlled easily!So TONGXIN MOTOR IS LEGAL! If you use the 190rpm motor on a 26" bike,you will get a speed of 25km/h;if you use the 160rpm motor on a 26" bike, you will get a speed of 20km/h.It is a roughly calculating because many aspects will affect the results.You can have a test for your bike and then get to know exactly what motor is suitable. So it's better to tell the demands more before ordering...like controllers' kinds of functions...

And we can supply kits including Li-po battery packs and display,etc.We are manufactory and we'd like to supply to bike manufactory or any groups.Welcome to be our dealers...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Excellent write-up, Frank. Hopefully my own Tongxin-powered bike will be going soon, following my small set-back with the battery.

Below is a picture showing the relative size of the Tongxin motor to the Crystalyte 405. The original front wheel is on the left, the centre one is the Tongxin wheel and the one on the right is the Crystalyte. All three wheels are 20", the original and the Tongxin wheels have 406 rims, the Crystalyte wheel has a much wider rim.

The original wheel and tyre weighs just about 1kg as near as my scales will read. The Tongxin wheel and tyre weighs about 3kg, the Crystalyte wheel and tyre weighs about 7kg.

Jeremy

Sep 24, 2007
I have now done almost 100 miles with my Tongxin kit powered bike. There has been a bit of interest in these motors so I thought I'd post something on its performance.
Hi Frank. Just one thing... does this kit ONLY have a throttle? Ideally, I want something that is like the Wisper, with a pedelec sensor which kicks the motor in automatically. I don't like throttle only, you see. Does the kit have a sensor.....?

Thanks

Jimmi

chantelauze

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2007
France
TongXin Motor RPM & bicycle speed

Motor RPM & speed evaluation of TongXin in different wheel sizes , on flat ground , with a standard european female or male driver on it ( 60 to 100 kgs ) , was and remains my only legitimate question my dear Diana !

i am commenting to everybody and specially to Diana of Tongxin ( by her chinese name : LIN )

I had different mail exchanges during 2005 with Diana LIN , at that time from the very little amount of information she could provide ( but the web site has not changed by a iota inside the last 3 years ) , I came out with that Excel file that I submitted to her to be sure of what could be achieved under different RPM motor option ( 160 , 190 , 210 & 260 RPM at that time …if I’m correct )

After appraisal by her engineer staff , I was answered that my assumptions were correct and that whatever would be the load on the bicycle ( I’m 80 Kgs ) , the speed would remain unchanged on flat ground with no wind , as from my calculated expectations

Unfortunately after receiving 2 Tongxin motors in oct 2005 , all those data turned out to be wrong ! ( I can’t access anymore to those measurements , badly classified on my computer probably ; and I now feel very sorry for the other participants and do not have those motors any more to confirm my saying , either )

I suggest that since Diana had the excellent idea to dedicate some time to that forum , she gives us some more insights and information , and checks such figures because in my memory ( but 3 years have passed away ) the theorist no load bicycle speed has been quite different from the speed i could reach : on asphalt road , with 90 kgs loading ( driver 80 + on carrier weight of 10 ) , zero gradient slope ….that’s the only info. I required from you long time ago and never could get a clear answer about ! how long will it be before you can provide an accurate answer at TongXin , my dear Diana

( my Excel file can be enriched , anyone can have it from me if they wish to , it’s made of very simple “rule of thumb” formulas that anyone can cut & paste to adapt to it’s personal needs , but if we don’t have any reliable model to start from – with the input and on road observations from TongXin - , we’ll keep endlessly raising the same questions and hearing from TongXin : well it depends on so many factors )

do you think Diana you can upgrade my Excel file considering 4 external factors :

- slope is ZERO ( flat road )
- asphalt road and no wind factor
- load ( driver + rack luggage ) is 60 , 80 , 100 kgs
- tire references among 3 or 4 popular european dimensions ( obvisously 20 , 26 , 28 tyre sizes are among those)
all above factors under the option of pedal sensor magnet mechanism ( only one authorised in Europe....thumb throttle being forbidden among most member states of EC ) , thus with the pedalling contribution of the cyclist

to FRANK : could you have correctly inferred your bicycle speed from attached Excel abstract ( careful not forgetting conversion from km/h to miles per hour )

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Trying to calculate bicycle speed from motor performance is likely to be extremely inaccurate. There are so many things that can affect bicycle speed, totally unconnected with the motor, that any speed estimate will be difficult.

There is an excellent bicycle performance simulator here: Bicycle Speed And Power Calculator

Entering a fixed power, and then changing some of the other parameters, will give an idea of the variability. For example, for a fixed input power of 200 watts, you can get the following range of speeds on level ground, no wind:

Roadster bike, upright, wide touring tyres = 16.2mph
Roadster bike, upright, narrow, high pressure tyre = 17.3mph
Mountain bike, no suspension, 1.75" off-road tyre = 17.8mph
Mountain bike, no suspension, narrow, high pressure tyre = 19.0mph
Racing bike, drop handlebars, narrow, high pressure tyre = 21.2mph
Recumbent bike, not streamlined, narrow high pressure tyres = 23.3mph

This shows that aerodynamic drag and tyre rolling resistance makes a very big difference to speeds, irrespective of the motor type that's fitted.

Calculating potential bicycle maximum speed from the motor theoretical maximum speed is always going to give an inn accurate answer, I'm afraid, as there are too many other variables that affect speed.

Jeremy

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I too like the Kreuzotter calculator.

As Jeremy says, the best thing to do with a theoretical model is not to take one prediction as gospel, but to keep altering the inputs to see how the output changes. That way you can easily find out which are the critical parameters to concentrate on.

Nick

chantelauze

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2007
France
predictability models or data from observations

of course...probably an excellent calculator , but its predictability is not granted

all i ask from TongXin is to share their observation with us

they have been selling that mini-weight DCBL motor in Canada & Europe for more that 3 years and they won't let us share their data from observations

same goes with the distance it can cover....it's easy to say that on flat asphalt road , a load of 80 kgs , no wind factor , touring tires in 26 or 28 size , holland like upright position on the saddle , the avg.energy consumption will be of : 50 or 70 or 120 Watts per hour at an average speed of 20 km/h , with no stop at all . They certainly have rather accurate figures to share with us ( but do they wish to ? ) ...

this way it's easier for us to predict about how far we can go with a Li-ion battery in 36v 13ah ( like Frank's battery pack ) ....and if it's not very accurate it's better than reading : "it depends on so many factors "

Last edited:

chantelauze

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2007
France
what Li-Po battery do you advise with your DIY kit

my dear Diana

what is the brand and model of Li-Polymer battery pack you propose ?

what are its main characteristics ?

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks everyone for the comments, feedback and questions.

I've now taken some pictures of my bike. There are some with panniers, which is how it is when I ride it as an electric, and without, which is how it looks when parked (or when I ride it unpowered as I did yesterday). There is also a shot of the front wheel showing how small the motor looks in a 700c – and a picture of the back view, which is generally how it appears to other cyclists!

[It will only let me put in four images, there are another three which I'll put in the next post]

On different motor speeds and what performance they are likely to deliver, the other option I considered was to put a low speed motor (160 rpm) in my bike. This would be likely to give decent hill-climbing ability and assist up to around 15mph – actually similar performance to the Nano Brompton.

I think this would make a good bike for a relatively hilly area – giving good uphill speed from the motor and good downhill speed from the hills! If I lived in such an area I would have gone for this configuration. NB – I don't know that it would perform like this as I haven't tested it, but the evidence of the AtoB review suggests it would. Again, the crucial thing is the very low rolling resistance of Tongxin motor which enables it to be pedalled virtually as a normal bike on the flat and downhill sections.

Chantelauze – I wasn't sure what speed I would get before riding the bike. The actual speed depends on the slope, the wind strength and direction, how much I lean forward, level of charge of the battery, smoothness of the road surface, tyre pressure, and so on. I did a back of the envelope estimate that if 160 rpm was geared for 15mph I would get a theoretical speed of 24-25mph from the 260 rpm motor – but knowing that air resistance increases with speed, I expected it to be a bit lower than this, which is broadly how it has turned out. I agree with Jeremy and Nick that speed estimates from a kit are not at all scientific and never can be. Tongxin could perhaps provide more information but, personally, I would not have found the information you are asking for of value. I would be more interested in hearing what performance other users are getting.

I looked on the Tongxin project as a relatively small amount of money (compared to the UK cost of a complete electric bike) that I was willing to risk on a project with no guarantee of a successful outcome. In choosing to deal directly with the manufacturer in China I was willing to accept this uncertainty in return for a far lower price. If I had bought the kit from a UK importer, it would have cost me three times as much and I would have expected a much higher service level in return, and greater clarity around the likely result.

Jimmy – My bike is throttle only. I too would like pedelec. Tongxin do have pedal sensors but I've not been able to establish whether they are pedelec of the type that Ezee and Powabyke use to comply with legislation (ie if you don't pedal the throttle doesn't work) or 'proper' pedelec, like Powacycle, Wisper or a Panasonic bike, where you get power assist if you pedal without using any throttle.

Simon – I go East in the mornings!

Frank

Last edited: