My very first experience of riding an e bike - Rambletta

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Well, I finally received my Rambletta yesterday.

Perhaps I will post a fuller review after more use but I just thought I'd record my first impressions of an e bike in itself.
I have never ridden one before and obviously Covid reduced the opportunity to test ride generally before buying.

By the time I had set up and charged the battery it was dark yesterday so I have just been out for the first time for a test ride.
With extreme caution, I walk the bike (no walk assist was needed) for 15mins by my side to take it to an area with quieter paths near some fields.

First thought is that the Rambletta is actually a really nice ride even on no power - I thought I would try that first to check and adjust the seat height etc first. Perhaps because it is a brand new bike compared to my not perfectly set up second hand push bike.

I activate the LCD and try level 1.

Wasn't quite prepared for that sudden kick of acceleration to start - Yikes! (my exclamation at the time began with an F ) will take some getting used to -
the throttle isn't activated yet by the way. Doubt I will need it .
I have tried Level 2 - not gone higher yet - to be honest the effortlessness of initial acceleration is a little unsettling compared to the average low speed
Strava told me I was managing on my push bike for most journeys. I am still not a confident or fast cyclist having only really learnt about 10 years ago (I am 57)
So for safety's sake on the roads, it will take a little getting used to.

After a while I did have a high pitched intermittent squeaky sound for some of the ride. Even with the LCD off and not pedalling but coasting
so there might have been something rubbing somewhere where it shouldn't - but the sound stopped by the latter part of the ride.
If it continues I will need to investigate.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
After a while I did have a high pitched intermittent squeaky sound for some of the ride. Even with the LCD off and not pedalling but coasting
so there might have been something rubbing somewhere where it shouldn't - but the sound stopped by the latter part of the ride.
that could be the rear brake blocks. It will wear in in a few days.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it can - the rear Tektro V-brakes have their blocks very close to the mounting lugs, leaving little space between the rim and the blocks.
The arrangement is good for generating a lot of braking pressure but difficult to get the setting just right. If the setting is not 100% right, one of the pads will bind slightly to the rim, making a squeak.
Adjusting the brake pads is straightforward but don't do that just yet. The squeak tends to disappear in a few days when the brakes get more used.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and PP100

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
It can only be associated with the wheels so very straightforward to identify. My Rambletta I've toe'd the pads in and like Woosh says, they run very close to the rim so unless you spend time tweaking them and trueing the wheel perfectly then chances are that's the cause.

Reactions: PP100

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
The noise seems to have gone but oh dear another more serious problem.
I now find I cannot remove the battery at all.
The key turns but the battery door just won't pop open.
Too late to phone tonight . Have just emailed Whoosh with a short vid to demonstrate it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The new lock works like on the Rambla, you turn the key clockwise, very slowly, stopping at about 11 o'clock before it produces the loud click and pull the battery out.
I'll ask Andy to give you a call tomorrow.

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
The new lock works like on the Rambla, you turn the key clockwise, very slowly, stopping at about 11 o'clock before it produces the loud click and pull the battery out.

Did you know your instruction manual says anti-clockwise?
Page 6 of the Rambletta manual, 'To take the battery off the bike, insert the key in to the lock at the top-right of the downtube, and turn it anti-clockwise. This will release the battery.....'

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep trying and await the call but as I mention in my email the instructions and diagram specifically say "anti clockwise" to remove the battery. But I found it is impossible to turn the key anti clockwise when you first insert to remove so you can only turn it clockwise, I get the click at about 11oc but this isn't popping open the battery door at all and there is no movement at all to even create some kind of gap that might be gently prised further to allow the battery to open up.
MWSnap120 2020-11-25, 17_33_43.jpg

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
My Rambletta you turn the key clockwise and the battery will pop out a few mm's, turn key a bit more and you can then lift the battery out/away from the top of the frame like Woosh's video.
If yours isn't popping out, try pushing the battery in as you turn the key to take any pressure off the latch mechanism, then see if it'll pull out as you turn the key past 90 degrees. Maybe it just needs fiddling with as it's quite a simple operating lock so shouldn't cause issues like this.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep trying and await the call but as I mention in my email the instructions and diagram specifically say "anti clockwise" to remove the battery. But I found it is impossible to turn the key anti clockwise when you first insert to remove so you can only turn it clockwise, I get the click at about 11oc but this isn't popping open the battery door at all and there is no movement at all to even create some kind of gap that might be gently prised further to allow the battery to open up.
View attachment 39485
The manual is wrong, I am really sorry.
It was anti-clockwise in the previous batch but clockwise in the new batch.
I'll ask Andy to amend it tomorrow.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Latest:
When I I turn as before it never pops open or seems to show any visible gap and the battery cannot at that point be pulled out, but by carefully rotating a flat screwdriver tip from the other side of the frame away from the keyhole side, I managed to prise the door to open , to be able to remove the battery.

I'll see how it goes though with repeated removals as I'd rather not have to always carry a tool to remove it (apart from the key) if I wanted to lock the bike and then take the battery away for security.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
on some occasion, the battery holders clamp to the battery a bit too tightly so the battery tends to stick and does not pop out like it should.
I fix this problem by adjusting the bottom plastic molding piece that holds the base of the battery, increasing the space for the battery by about 1mm. That should be enough to solve the problem.
We'll get in touch tomorrow to help you sort this out.

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
West sussex
Hi Pp100
As a reference, on my Rambletta, at the 8 o clock key position(if vertical is 12 o clock), the battery latch clicks and pops the battery up very slightly, about 1mm, then at the 10 o clock key position the battery pops out 6mm and can be removed from the frame. Turn the key as far clockwise as it can go to lift up the brass deadbolt latch, then refit battery and turn key fully anti clockwise to lock battery in.

Last edited: