My weight is 100 kilos

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
...am I asking for trouble buying a rear hub driven bike ?

I'm still thinking of an Oxygen but worried about the effect of my weight on the rear wheel.
......appreciate your views.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't worry about your weight. A rear hub motor will add some stress to the rear spokes but a a good wheel will take easily your weight. you should still check your rim for flats and spokes if you run into a large pot hole or every 50-100 miles. You can ping the spokes, one at a time, they should sound and feel same. If you found a loose one, just use a spoke key and take it up to the same tension as the others.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm a little over 100k and most times I've broken spokes is when I have abused the bike in some way. Jumping off stuff, crashing through a massive pothole at 30mph, too much power (>1000w) and a lack of maintenance have all caused me broken spokes.

I have also had the odd old spoke go pop, mostly when they have been well used and are rusty.

In short, you'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm 100kg and I've done at least ten thousand miles on bikes with hub-motors. Mysteriously, I've never had any problems with spokes other than the routine retightening after a new wheel-build has settled down.

I only use cheap Chinese rims and spokes. Maybe that's why I don't get any problems.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Click the links:

This one has a rear hub motor in a 20" wheel with large rear of seatpost battery. Its huge panniers are often heavily loaded and I've even carried a large CRT television set on the carrier to the council dump.

And I tow heavy loads with the trailer nose weight added to the ball joint coupling at the rear of the wheel.

If the wheel has been well built you won't have any trouble.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Just another one who is a similar weight, and also only had issues when spokes were loose. This was my fault - when I got somebody good to rebuild the wheel and to use spokes that can take a higher tension (thinner) I got a much more solid wheel that has given me no problems for the last 700 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing