Mystery rubber bits

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Can anyone help me with this one please?

I have bought a cable kit intending to replace the brake cables on my sons bike. There are the usual inner and outer cables plus ferrules for the end of the outer cables and for the ends of the inner cables.

But in addition to these there are some tiny black rubber rings which are obviously designed to slide on an inner cable. Can anyone tell me what these are for? There are none that I can see on the bike at the moment and I cannot see a use for them.

Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Some brake cables have O rings fitted inside the end caps to prevent dirt getting in.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
They could be spare cable spacers. Some bikes don't have a continuous outer run (like across the top tube of the frame) and they space the cable off the frame tube. But it might also be what Kal said. Depends what they look like I suppose. They might well go between ferrule and outer.

Vikki. :)

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
The answer - and another prob.

Vikki was dead right, but thanks to you both for your replies. When I got going on the job I found one of the spacers on the bike keeping the rear brake cable from touching the top tube. That is what the little rubber things are in the brake kit.

I have fixed the front brake and it is working really well.

The rear brakes need the caliper arms removing from their pivots and lubricating because they are rather stiff. I am a bit scared of removing them because there is obviously a spring inside somewhere that keeps them open and I fear it might be one of those fiddly jobs where you needs eight arms all with fine pliers.

Are they as difficult as they seem to remove and refit please?

Thanks

Rod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They're not too bad Rod, you'll generally find three terminating holes which can be used to alter the spring tension, so note which one is used so you can return the spring end to the same position. The upper arm of the spring can generally be left off the arm so there's no tension and this upper spring arm hooked back in place onto the brake arm last.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks for that encouraging info Flecc. When I can get a minute I will carefully remove the arms and give the bearings a good clean up and lubricate. I did notice on the front that when the cable tension was removed and they were able to move outwards the spring tension completely disappeared.

So by noting the holes in use and reassembling in a non tension position I should be OK.

Fingers crossed!

Rod